Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Elf Retreat! (v1.2)  (Read 16726 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Elf Retreat! (v1.2)
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:35:10 pm »

Frolic through the trees! Dance with pixies! Befriend wild animals! Slaughter mortals and devour their flesh to maintain your youth! Help raise saplings into full grown trees! All this and more in Elf Retreat!

What is this?
Elf Retreat is exactly what it sounds. It's Dwarf Fortress, but you play as elves. And you can play them anywhere you want, because they've developed the means of bringing a forest with them wherever they go. While not Hardmode in the same way that Kobold Camp is, Elf Retreat is still a bit more difficult than standard Dwarf Fortress. Your elves do not have access to metal of any kind, though they are able to alter wood into a rough approximation of copper. Nor are they able to build lethal traps. Truly, your only line of defense is the myriad of animals you might be able to trap, and your swords, spears, and arrows.

Why would you ever do this?
Because I'm a big fan of playing adventure mode and fortress mode in tandem. By this, I mean using utilities like DFusion to switch between adventure mode and fortress mode almost at a whim. A while ago, I was playing an elven adventurer and thought "Wait, wouldn't it be cool if I could start a fort for every race?" and so I started with Elf Retreat first. Mostly because I saw the greatest ability to add its own "flavor" to the mod. While this is nowhere near complete, I hope that the flavor in question shines through.

Download it!

Changelog

Spoiler: v1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: v1.1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: v1.11 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: v1.2 (click to show/hide)

Expect very frequent updates for at least a little while. Once I'm happy with it, things will no doubt slow down a lot.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:17:32 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Retreat! (v1)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:38:49 pm »

Reserved, but I doubt I'll need it.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:57:10 am »

Frolic through the trees! Dance with pixies! Befriend wild animals! Slaughter mortals and devour their flesh to maintain your youth! Help raise saplings into full grown trees! All this and more in Elf Retreat!

What is this?
Elf Retreat is exactly what it sounds. It's Dwarf Fortress, but you play as elves. And you can play them anywhere you want, because they've developed the means of bringing a forest with them wherever they go. While not Hardmode in the same way that Kobold Camp is, Elf Retreat is still a bit more difficult than standard Dwarf Fortress. Your elves do not have access to metal of any kind, though they are able to alter wood into a rough approximation of copper. Nor are they able to build lethal traps. Truly, your only line of defense is the myriad of animals you might be able to trap, and your swords, spears, and arrows.

Why would you ever do this?
Because I'm a big fan of playing adventure mode and fortress mode in tandem. By this, I mean using utilities like DFusion to switch between adventure mode and fortress mode almost at a whim. A while ago, I was playing an elven adventurer and thought "Wait, wouldn't it be cool if I could start a fort for every race?" and so I started with Elf Retreat first. Mostly because I saw the greatest ability to add its own "flavor" to the mod. While this is nowhere near complete, I hope that the flavor in question shines through.

Download it!

Changelog
Spoiler: v1 (click to show/hide)

Expect very frequent updates for at least a little while. Once I'm happy with it, things will no doubt slow down a lot.

I haven't downloaded the mod, but is it a total conversion?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:41:00 am by hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:51 am »

This looks like fun.

Wait crap! *gets lynched by Bay12 community*

But actually yeah, it does look pretty interesting. Are the enemies just going to be goblins?

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:44:06 am »

pleaseletthedorfsbringmagmawhiletheysiegepleaseletthedorfsbringmagmawhiletheysiegepleaseletthedorfsbringmagmawhiletheysiegepleaseletthedorfsbringmagmawhiletheysiegepleaseletthedorfsbringmagmawhiletheysiegepleaseletthedorfsbringmagmawhiletheysiegepleaseletthedorfsbringmagmawhiletheysiege.....

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 03:31:52 am »

This..
This is pretty fun.
Oh, and you messed up with hardening wood.
It should be [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:COPPER_WOOD_LOG:WOOD], not [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:COPPER_WOOD_LOG:NONE].
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:51:41 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 07:32:18 am »

You can tend grove to multiply copper wood logs, just sayin'.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:21:23 pm »

It's not a total conversion. You can unpack the files directly alongside your vanilla game (and have two elf civs) or replace the elf civ in vanilla with this one. All it really does is add a new race with unique buildings to play as in fortress mode.

Thanks for the heads-up on those two issues, guys. I'm not sure how I'll go about preventing copper wood from being multiplied, any suggestions to that effect would be appreciated. At the moment I'm considering shenanigans with reaction classes.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 01:25:46 pm »

You could make the tending give you a different type of wood entirely.
Though it wouldn't make sense, it could stop multiplying copperwood.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 01:50:32 pm »

You could make the tending give you a different type of wood entirely.
Though it wouldn't make sense, it could stop multiplying copperwood.
That actually might work. A generic "grove wood" with all the qualities of, say, Oak.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 01:56:39 pm »

Good idea.
Also, could we have a steelwood?
As good as steel, takes 50 copperwood logs to make.
We can make infinite logs, which means infinite copperwood, so why not?

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 01:59:36 pm »

Good idea.
Also, could we have a steelwood?
As good as steel, takes 50 copperwood logs to make.
We can make infinite logs, which means infinite copperwood, so why not?
oh god no, any reaction with more than 10 reagents tend to take forever in the bad sense, we should make something like ironwood
5 wood - copperwood
10 copper - ironwood
10 iron - steelwood

Also, I don't think you can create the second squad. Not until some noble arrives, maybe as I only have 18 elves so far.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 02:00:49 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 02:06:12 pm »

also, mini add-on time! Elf Retreats built with wood only tend to look boring so I've added a workshop called gardener's copse where skilled gardeners can turn your old boring logs into nice, thick thickets which come in two shades - dark green dense thicket and light green thicket which can be turned into pretty-looking furniture to place in your huge trees.

Spoiler: building_ELV.txt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: reaction_custom_ELV (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:13:55 pm by Shintaro Fago »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 02:08:39 pm »

also, mini add-on time! Elf Retreats built with wood only tend to look boring so I've added a workshop called gardener's copse where skilled gardeners which can turn your old boring logs into nice, thick thickets which come in two shades - dark green dense thicket and light green thicket which can be turned into pretty-looking furniture to place in your huge trees.
Why did I read that as corpse?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5