Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Goblin-master  (Read 5588 times)

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin-master
« on: July 14, 2011, 02:09:35 am »

So, I've managed to capture the queen of goblin race during the last siege. No that most of her former comrades are sacrificed to the Great Volcano God, pincushioned by bolts and upright spears and chopped to pieces by united human-dwarven weapons, I come to You, my Dwarven brothers: what fate should await her? Thrown into magma? Drop her to arena floor to get a fair play with my captain of the guard? Or strip her naked and then throw 8z-levels down to the caverns, to see if she could survive the fall and troglodyte-infested cavern?

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin-master
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:10:58 am »

Keep her and let her act as a meatshield once you decide to open hell.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:22:21 am »

By no means kill her... yet!

You have a hostage. Place her somewhere where the goblins can see her. In the event of goblin siege that refuses to disperse, you can just send them their queen back... piece by piece.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:16 am »

Btw, it's a shame that catapults cannot be loaded with goblins...

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:35:29 am »

Someone recently suggested a particule accelerator powered by cave-ins.

What are you waiting for?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 02:37:55 am »

I recall that killing the goblin leader(or just letting them leave) removes some stuff from the civ, in case the leader tamed some wild creatures during world gen for example, they won't show up as mounts or war animals anymore. I think civ hostility might decrease as well. So if you are in the fortunate situation of being able to make dozens of delicious roasts of exotic war animals gobbos keep sending against you, you might want to keep her alive.

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:39:24 am »

Alas, in this world I've never seen goblin mounts. They only bring trolls with them.

And what about that particule accelerator? How exactly does it work?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 02:44:27 am »

Alas, in this world I've never seen goblin mounts. They only bring trolls with them.

And what about that particule accelerator? How exactly does it work?

Actaully it's "particle", not "particule", pardon my typo.

It's supposed to work like this: you cause a cave-in near a goblin or a dwarf, sending him flying. What if another cave-in should occur just at the right time fo increase the velocity of the brave flying creature? How fast could a goblin be propelled?
I don't know yet, because the setup is tricky and I'm not that advanced player to be toying around with this. Some !!SCIENTIST!! could do this.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:47:30 am »

If I know my cave-in SCIENCE it'd be tricky as hell. You'd need to pull the levers a few ticks from each other, since they're instantaneous. Although I also think that the dust would send the target flying and flying creatures are immune to everything until they land, so I doubt it'd add any speed to their flight.

But who cares, do it anyway! For SCIENCE!

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 02:49:24 am »

Whoah!
I'm not so advanced player either.
I could give u a save file if u want to try launching that queen in space though.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 03:00:48 am »

Näh. Creatures don't really fly upwards right now, or was it that they at best fly 1 z-level upwards if on a raising bridge or something? It'd be a really short space trip. If you're gonna kill her, it should be something special.

Like make a big maze or an arena somewhere, put the cage there and release her there, maybe after you've lured a forgotten beast or a titan or something there. See how much of a master she is, fighting horrible monsters.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 03:04:17 am »

If I know my cave-in SCIENCE it'd be tricky as hell. You'd need to pull the levers a few ticks from each other, since they're instantaneous. Although I also think that the dust would send the target flying and flying creatures are immune to everything until they land, so I doubt it'd add any speed to their flight.

But who cares, do it anyway! For SCIENCE!

Hrm.  You might be able to activate an accelerator with a wave action.

A set of pressure plates in a long hallway, pour water on top until there is nearly enough to activate them.  Then use multiple pressurized water sources to slam water into the hallway from one end, causing the pressure plates to rapidly activate in sequence.

100 steps later, the things that the pressure plates control would then rapidly activate in sequence.

Hrm.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 03:10:36 am »

Actually, the whole labirynth idea is awesome.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 03:17:20 am »

Fill the labyrinth with pressure plates that change its form. If the goblin finds a stable path to loop through, manipulate the structure so that path is distrubed. See how long loops can you create!

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 03:21:06 am »

Btw, if labirynth is sealed, will the goblin actually move? Or will be he and monsters stay still till the end of times?
Pages: [1] 2 3