Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Magma-Defence, FB Behaviour and Vulnerabilities  (Read 1069 times)

AiresPenlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Magma-Defence, FB Behaviour and Vulnerabilities
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:08:35 am »

Hi all.

My chief fortress defence (bar a four cage traps, intended to catch crundles and goblin thieves) consists of a "hot-room":
N: a 7x7 room with a single-tile entrance (in this case, a three-tile entrance, with the side tiles being holes covered by hatches. In the event of attack, the hatches are withdrawn). The single-tile entrance bears a creature-triggered pressureplate, linked to the hatch of a resettable one-use pressure-plate (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Pressure_plate#Resettable_One-Use_Pressure_Plates)

N+1:"Priming" chamber: when the drawbridge is lowered, magma flows in from the resevoir above. When the drawbridge is raised, magma flows out of the hole in the centre, and the flow from above is blocked off. The one-use Resettable PP is linked to the bridge. When triggered, the priming chamber empties, covering the 7x7 hotroom in 1/7 of magma.

Now, the scenario:
"The Forgotten Beast Os has come! An enormous humanoid composed of resin opal. It has a curling trunk and it has a bloated body. Beware its poisonous vapors!"

1) Os has pathed straight to the fortress entrance, but has stopped two tiles away from the pressure-plate at the Hot Room entrance. Can anyone explain this behaviour, because I've no idea what's going on.

2) Are gemstones (specifically resin opal) magma-safe? I know they're not on the list, but it's rare to have something that needs magma-ing that is made of gems.

Cheers

Edit: After pausing for a while, Os has destroyed a floor-hatch, dropped down the hole and is attacking the militia I'd had stationed at the Trade Depot. So issue 1 is resolved, sort of.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:14:13 am by AiresPenlaw »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Fortress Magma-Defence, FB Behaviour and Vulnerabilities
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:26:12 am »

Resin Opal isn't magma-safe, so magma should kill Os.  I've killed forgotten beasts made of gemstones with magma in my fort.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.