Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what happens to creatures in a cage if the cage is frozen and then re thawed  (Read 5290 times)

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what happens to creatures in a cage if the cage is frozen and then re thawed?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Absolutely nothing. Caged creatures are unaffected by water, freezing, etc.

I once put a cage full of turkey poults underwater in a freezing stream until they matured, to test this.

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so things will age. do dorfs get happy/unhappy thoughts and do wounds bleed out / infections get worse?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think life progresses as normal for a dwarf. I know they get hungry and thirsty, so that's an issue, but they can be brought food. Other than that, I think it's just like them being idle.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

specifically, it removes the creature from the environment.  Grazers will starve, but they go into cagespace, where temperature, water, ice, whatever, doesn't touch them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not yet convinced that creatures actually grow while in cages. I've heard reports that animals left to mature in cages don't leave the right amount of meat when butchered later. Testing would be in order here.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not yet convinced that creatures actually grow while in cages. I've heard reports that animals left to mature in cages don't leave the right amount of meat when butchered later. Testing would be in order here.
Hee hee; I wasn't exactly using the turkeys for food... I'll have to test for meat output if I ever do that again. It's highly likely that I will.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

specifically, it removes the creature from the environment.  Grazers will starve, but they go into cagespace, where temperature, water, ice, whatever, doesn't touch them.

Really? Because when I was testing to see if cages (specifically glass cages) could be used for expeditions into the magma sea I dropped a rabbit into a volcano and it quickly melted to death. It even died before an unprotected mason, who decided to stand on the cage while removing the floor connecting it to solid ground.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile

The problem MAY be the glass cage.  IIRC, glass is still buggy in how it reacts to magma.  Some items melt in it, some don't.  Glass pumps appear to be safe, but certain glass crafts and such clearly melt.

Try again with like, a lead cage or a steel cage, etc.  See if you get different results.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so a dorf in a cage that has then been frozen would still need feedind and watering?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem MAY be the glass cage.  IIRC, glass is still buggy in how it reacts to magma.  Some items melt in it, some don't.  Glass pumps appear to be safe, but certain glass crafts and such clearly melt.

Try again with like, a lead cage or a steel cage, etc.  See if you get different results.

Nope, it definitely wasn't the material. I just repeated the test with nickel cages (nickel is magma safe) and the rabbit still melted. The cage itself remained unscathed. In regards to frozen creatures staying safe, it might be because cold takes longer to damage and kill, if it is even cold enough to cause any damage at all (The cage presumably causes the creature to be included under the cages item classification, preventing it from dying from being encased in ice.)
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Temperature transfer works through cages, as I caged a forgotten beast made of flame in a steel cage once, and the cage could constantly boil water and incinerate dwarves.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile

Are you tired of all those goblins knocking on your door?
You need a place to store all your life stock?
Or maybe you want to give a nasty tree huger a lesson?
The creators of the one and only "Door" now present to you: the "Cage" - your personal portal to an alternate reality!
It's small! It's huge! It's practical! It's fun! It's FUN! All the other cool overseers use it! Get yours now!

Warning! Temperatures above 11500 U may ignite a chain reaction within the reactor leading to a massive heat jump inside, often melting out the eyes of all stored passengers. "Cage" may cause the following: starving, dehydration, unhappy thoughts, diarrhea, itchy feet and sudden lack of enjoyment. We take no responsibility for the use, or misuse of "Cage".

Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Jalapeņo Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It appears that what a dwarf would call a +copper cage+ is actually a container capable of traveling at the speed of light through the corona of a white dwarf star (no pun intended) and arriving intact at its destination with a triving bunch of kittens inside.
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile

turn your jail into cast obsidian and mine out the cages to see
Pages: [1] 2