Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: what happens to creatures in a cage if the cage is frozen and then re thawed  (Read 5260 times)

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

im pretty sure obsidian creation destroys even cages

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile

I'm not yet convinced that creatures actually grow while in cages. I've heard reports that animals left to mature in cages don't leave the right amount of meat when butchered later. Testing would be in order here.
even accounting for "juvenile adult" phase that some animals go through?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I noticed my turkeys/hens don't give meat once butchered from cages too but I assumed this was because I did not age them.

What if the cage was made from metal? Metal survives Obsidian doesn't it?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Something strange I noticed with my semi-automatic freezing trap was that if you encase items in ice and then melt that ice with magma from bellow the items disappear. If you then re-freeze the tile and mine it out by hand the items appear again. Wouldn't the same happen with cages creatures?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Turkeys and hens don't give meat normally.  Their full adult size is -barely- big enough to produce meat.  I would mod dogs for higher size, and cage a newborn puppy.  If, after it grows, it produces no meat, then we'll be sure of the caged growth.

Also, to cage a dwarf, use a GCS.  Prisoners are released eventually, but GCS never forget.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile

Wait, could we use runesmith or a similar utility to remove the eats and drinks part of the code from a dwarf, then cage them, leave them for a long time and unleash them into the world, just to see what would happen to the dwarf?
Blargh.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Wait, could we use runesmith or a similar utility to remove the eats and drinks part of the code from a dwarf, then cage them, leave them for a long time and unleash them into the world, just to see what would happen to the dwarf?

If you do Vattic's trick with that one, we could have a dwarven time capsule. Imagine it! A dorf goes into a cage, into a deep sleep. He then gets inserted into water, which is frozen, and melted. The cage and dorf cease to exist (I love that phrase...), at least for a while. You then go on with the forts life.

Aeons later, dorfs (or someone else) decide to freeze something and mine it out. Out of a tear in the fabric of reality, a cage pops out. The new inhabitants open it, and find a dorf in there. I would like to know what the dorf thinks of the new world :D

Regarding Vattic's idea, if you freeze something, melt the ice and build a wall in the same spot, do the items come back after the re-freeze and mine-out?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Something strange I noticed with my semi-automatic freezing trap was that if you encase items in ice and then melt that ice with magma from bellow the items disappear. If you then re-freeze the tile and mine it out by hand the items appear again. Wouldn't the same happen with cages creatures?

The items are probably still on that tile if you locate them via the stocks menu, but are hidden in hyperspace (icespace?). Items that are pushed by water or magma occasionally disappear into hyperspace as well. I've had meat rotting in a room that was partially flooded, and I couldn't see the meat, but I could see the miasma.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you tired of all those goblins knocking on your door?
You need a place to store all your life stock?
Or maybe you want to give a nasty tree huger a lesson?
The creators of the one and only "Door" now present to you: the "Cage" - your personal portal to an alternate reality!
It's small! It's huge! It's practical! It's fun! It's FUN! All the other cool overseers use it! Get yours now!

Warning! Temperatures above 11500 U may ignite a chain reaction within the reactor leading to a massive heat jump inside, often melting out the eyes of all stored passengers. "Cage" may cause the following: starving, dehydration, unhappy thoughts, diarrhea, itchy feet and sudden lack of enjoyment. We take no responsibility for the use, or misuse of "Cage".

This is a post created by KtosoX. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of hilarity.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

ExdeathV

• Bay Watcher
  • God damn boogeymen. Can't you just let me sleep.
    • View Profile

I'm going to make an eternal prison for dem goblins and troublesome dwarves because of this thread.

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next fort is prision-Prisonianiana-.annana..ananan. The fort of prisions
Pages: 1 [2]