Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your first thoughts when finding out about DF were...  (Read 4242 times)

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
Your first thoughts when finding out about DF were...
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:46:08 am »

What were your first thoughts when you got in touch with the game ? There's alot of topics that ask for the first fun, or stuff similar to this but i'd like to know on what you thought the first time you heard about Dwarf Fortress and what went through your mind when you actually checked the game out via google, the bay12 site or wherever...

Well for me it was:

*browsing the steamforum for some hints about waterphysics for another game*
*reading a comment from someone who said "Dwarf Fortress has realistic Waterphysics and its a disaster*

"Dwarf Fortress ? Never heard"

*google*

"Lolz, WTF is this ?"

*EYEBLEEDING 1.0*

"People play this shit ? How Nerdy can it get ?"

*Wish for Trolling arises*
*Sending the Screenshots to a friend*
*CommunityLulz*

"Lets find a video about that crap and see what other trolls did to flame it"

-

"WTF, where are the negative comments ? This crap is supposed to be good ? Do you have to be mental to play this ?"

"Whatever, i'm not gonna play this game prolly but lets check out this guy's video, DjFogey..."

I'm still paying for my negative thoughts back then :P

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
Re: Your first thoughts when finding out about DF were...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:47:13 am »

*Hype*
*Google*
*Jefmajors 40d LP*
*Hooked*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:56:46 am »

I can't even remember when I first heard about DF, but my machine back then couldn't really run it. Everything was fiendishly slow, and I couldn't do almost anything. I never figured out the game more than that, I wanted a traditional Roguelike.

Then, at business college, a friend tried it and commended its ambitious goals, while scolding the UI for being a bad way of representing a 3D world (Z-levels already existed then). I tried DF but was quite busy with other things and could hardly get started.

My first proper DF experiences came from a Finnish imageboard where there was a dedicated and stickied DF thread that got me truly started with the game. I played quite happily, but never got a proper fort started because I was a bloody perfectionist. During my military service from Summer to Epiphany I didn't really play at all, but talked about it with some of the army fellows who seemed interested.

Now, after the Winter, I've been playing DF a lot more. This time I couldn't care less if some small things went wrong. And I've had two quite successful forts already, so I must be on the right track.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 05:18:55 am »

I can't remember where it started for me, but at first I tried to play, but utterly failed. Eventually, I just liked to lurk around the forums, and see all the crazy stuff people got up to. Eventually, I decided that I had to give it another go, and I got the hang of it eventually!
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:26:22 am »

My friend told me about it, described a bit about how complex it is, I thought: "Hmm, that sounds good, maybe I'll try it."

Took me some time to learn, now I give my friend advice on the game and work as a 'translator' from the forums to him  :P

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:29:53 am »

search google images on an unrelated subject...
hmmm... what is this?
downloaded...
okay... this is weird...
found forums...
HOLY SHIT, YOU CAN DO WHAT?!?!?!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:39:08 am »

Friend: Hey come look at this awesome game!
Me: WTF is this? It looks cool
Downloads
Me: OMG WTF I don't know what to do! Oh, that's how you dig.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:15 am »

*scanning google due to boredom of all the simple online games...*

*wanting to find a game with walls and constructable/destructible terrain*

*googles up "games with walls"*

*notices review of dwarf fortress in a corner*

*gets scared away by the insane graphics*

...Several months go by...

*sees a video on DF*
*reads Boatmurdered*
*watched Captain Duck's DF tutorial videos*
*destroyed several of own forts and joined several succession games*

And now I am one of its loyal community members.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:28:16 am »

"Whoah, digging!"
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:32:30 am »

Don't really remember but early on still back in the 2D days I stumbled over a link to Boatmurdered.

Always had an active imagination, I even imagined the kites I flew as a kid had crews who battled valiantly to save their ship as I sent them up into winds the kite couldn't safely handle (I lost a LOT of kites as a kid). So reading the stories and personalities given to these little smiley faces on a screen?

Hooked.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:39:34 am »

"*GASP* A TEXT BASED GAME THIS GOOD!? HORAY!"

"*DF dosen't run due to shit computer* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Several years later

"Dwarf Fortress? I think I've heard that before. I'll go download it"

"Huh? Why the fuck isn't this dwarf making the chair? This game must be broken."

Several days later

"I'm giving this game another chance. Time to play adventure!"

"Did I just stab that child in the heart!?"

"I love adventure mode!"

*several months later*

"Time to tackle Fortress Mode"

*several months later, nearly a year*

"MAAAGMMAAAAAAAA!!!!"
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:59:29 am »

"MAAAGMMAAAAAAAA!!!!"
And of course, this was one of the things that drew me to this game as well.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 12:15:21 pm »

More of a history of my Bay-12 activity if anything. Had more of a gypsy way of forum hopping until I happened across this forum.

First spotting, RPG.net Motivational Poster threads and seeing a few posters mentioning DF with or without screenshots as the images used. Was curious about the game; it looked too cool to pass up checking out (Images saved for reference). Looking around SA for entertaining LPs, saw Boatmurdered (1st or 2nd incarnation, don't remember, but it was alive at the time I first noticed; didn't think twice about reading through it all at the time). Downloaded DF back in it's 2D days, and got scared off by the sheer complexity of it.

:A year passes, and by then Boatmurdered reache(s/d) memetic levels, and DF goes 3D:

I try again, and notice things are different since last time I played. Still complex, yet in a few ways, much simpler. Lose a couple forts through thirst (first was not bringing enough booze in a dry location (no river/brook); second was not setting a drinking zone in the nearby brook/river). 3rd fort lost due to poor design. Got raided by goblins, and I flooded it intentionally from the brook nearby trapping many citizens in their rooms to die of ironic thirst. One more try, and I finally last a year, and learn from past mistakes (and a more thorough wiki reading). I finally become a member of Bay12, but more for lurking and getting ideas.

More time passes, and I take on a project fort (Known as WaveHandle) along with another standard fort or 2 on the side, and design it with an epic dining hall, and a functioning sewer system is it's central theme (mostly for security via well access; and plenty of wells. Made for a good standard for my future fortress designs from then on. Turns out very good and is a mentionable fort. After patting myself on the back for being able to accomplish it and learn more mechanics of the game, I then began designs of Bloodfist on a whim to pass time. See project for the rest of the details which last about a (real-time) year of production (and a dwarven decade to produce entirely). After that, I became a more active member of Bay-12, kudos to the community, the clout I built up from finishing a megaproject, and the ideas I tend to come up with from time to time. Further kudos to whoever mentioned the ship in TVTropes as well, because that actually helped motivate me to finish the project, and one time or another, work on it's successor from time to time (concept/designing).

EDIT:
Imagine that, had I taken the time, I could've had a copy of a Boatmurdered save (to check out the place, probably at it's prime). I am still hitting myself in hindsight for not seizing the opportunity.

EDIT EDIT:
After a long hiatus, and finally freeing up alot of time (and further securing it eventually), I might both take up a few new forts, and take on Bloodaxe soon enough. The features of 31.25 still have me a bit off-kilter though, and I can't wait until the next version (where Bloodaxe will truly flourish).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:01:43 pm by Itnetlolor »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 02:42:10 pm »

I think I heard about it on Notch's blog, on the origins of Minecraft (RCT3 + DF apparently). I was indeed put off by the graphics, but I went to the forums to ask around for tilesets and-- WHAT THE FUCK KITTEN BUTCHERY IS COMMON HERE

Later... "Hm, hold on a second... Kitten butchery? Sounds fun, actually."
And so it began.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 02:42:50 pm »

A true sandbox game set in completely procedurally generated worlds with fortresses populated by procedurally generated individual dwarves with their own state of mind, own posessions and own labors all working together guided by the player.
Combat involving hundreds of variables from material edge holding capabilities, strength of the wielder of a weapon, training and a wound system holding track of incredibly tiny details of the countless combatants, from vitals to eyelashes.
And underground mushroom farming.

Fuck this game has to be awesome.

Downloaded, started up...;
ok so where's the game all I see are a bunch of black and white ascii symbols.
The fuck is this, where's the user interface?
Alright no biggy, since it's the first time playing I'll probably be greeted by a tutorial so I'll just pay attention.
Fuck this all I see are a couple of smily faces shifting around.

Google: Dwarf Fortress tutorial. Oh look at this a 20 page long tutorial, I'll spend an hour or two figuring out the basics.

And from that moment on I was hooked.  8)

P.S. I still can't make out hide nor hair from the original ascii graphics, I've always played with custom tilesets.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:46:37 pm by Jelle »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4