Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your first thoughts when finding out about DF were...  (Read 4221 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Your first thoughts when finding out about DF were...
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 11:07:57 am »

heard some people mention it

ignored it for awhile

then heard more, and then saw some stories

so then i tried it

first thoughts 'fucking menus, how do they work?' along with something along the lines of 'HOW DOES THIS WORK OMG GOMGOMG I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM LOOKING AT' and then quitting. went like this for a year, then i learned how to play via trial and error. allow me to put forth my thoughts on learning DF without the wiki, in a couple simple engravings:

obviously, DF isnt an MMORPG, but you get the point. also colossus has 2 S's, so yeah.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:10:31 am by zehive »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 12:25:51 pm »

When I first found it, I was interested but couldn't get past the ASCII to the actualy gameplay, so I ignored it for a few weeks until I found a LP that came with the same embark and tileset that the author used, played a fort through that until I got bored and killed it, and DLed a clean version of the game and started playing with the ASCII. At this point, I can't play with tilesets because I've gotten used to it, and the little sprites throw me off because they're harder to distinguish.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 03:08:53 pm »

First I heard about it was reading about Boatmurdered and some of the bugs (like the infinite-blood-on-floors thing) on The Site Nobody Can Leave. I assumed it was some kind of RTS from the descriptions.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 08:14:01 am »

I first heard of Dwarf Fortress through a awesome group of Dwarf RPers on the Landroval server of LotRO. They kept on talking about +items+ and such, and I was rather confused. When I asked, one of them linked me to the Boatmurdered story, and I decided to give DF a swing.

First fort was a nightmare. Hadn't discovered Z-levels, and died quickly, because I was still figuring out how to build anything. Before I gave up on the game, I checked out the forums. Then discovered the wiki and the Lazy Newb pack, came back for round two, built a sweet (in my noob eyes) fortress, drowned it after a failed attempt to drive off some macegoblins, and fell in love with the game.

I haven't logged into LotRO for a while, now.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 08:23:01 am »

I was introduced to it by my girlfriend, who also walked me through how to play it.
So I suppose my first thoughts were "Huh, cool"
*Hugs*

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:36 am »

I was introduced to it by my girlfriend, who also walked me through how to play it.

wait.

There ARE women on the internet ?

wait.

There ARE women on the internet that PLAY DWARF FORTRESS ?

Liar.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 08:27:11 am »

wait.

There ARE women on the internet ?

wait.

There ARE women on the internet that PLAY DWARF FORTRESS ?

Liar.
Yes, both me and her play it =P
*Hugs*

Forteano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 09:38:52 am »

Like many, I heard about it a long, long time before I played it. My first thought was: "I'll never have time to learn how to play it, never mind play it." I'd say I was frightened of getting into the game in numerous ways. Not just fear of its learning curve but of what looked like its obsessive, addictive qualities thereafter. I didn't stop wondering, though.

Finally I buckled and sat patiently with a step-by-step guide (Tinypirate's, an invaluable resource for those of us who can't learn from videos).

It was just the drip-drip-drip erosion of resistance over a couple of years. I remember hearing about DF probably back when it first came out, but it's only recently that I've dared to see myself as somebody who could get into it. If you frequent most of the games-related quarters of the Internet, Dwarf Fortress is going to keep popping up in your consciousness. I think lots of new players have this kind of background of long-term exposure to the idea of DF and a kind of wariness of it too.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »

I originally found it on TvTropes after having played NetHack for a few months (on a sidenote, I still can't get past the Gnomish Mines even if I get lucky and wish for some Dragon Scale Mail :P ) and was like "okay, I can read ASCII, so this should be no problem at all."

Oh, I was SO wrong.

It took me forever to figure out how to build stuff (I need a bed to make a bed? WTF?), but I eventually figured out how to make workshops, and then it took me a week of diligence and determination to figure out how to assign stuff to be built in workshops. And then I was hooked.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 05:20:03 pm »

I first heard of Dwarf Fortress through a awesome group of Dwarf RPers on the Landroval server of LotRO. They kept on talking about +items+ and such, and I was rather confused. When I asked, one of them linked me to the Boatmurdered story, and I decided to give DF a swing.

First fort was a nightmare. Hadn't discovered Z-levels, and died quickly, because I was still figuring out how to build anything. Before I gave up on the game, I checked out the forums. Then discovered the wiki and the Lazy Newb pack, came back for round two, built a sweet (in my noob eyes) fortress, drowned it after a failed attempt to drive off some macegoblins, and fell in love with the game.

I haven't logged into LotRO for a while, now.

What kin was that?  It would be great to get up to some Moria questin' with a group of Dwarf Fortress fans.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 07:01:30 pm »

I was looking around online for a game to play.  I wanted a nation/city building simulation, and some other things I can't remember.  I came across a thread on some website (it had a green background, but I can't remember what it's called.  Some kind of advice site, I think.), where someone else was looking for the same kind of thing.  A few people mentioned Dwarf Fortress, but I shrugged it off, because it involved dwarfs.  I was not interested in fantasy (though Dwarf Fortress has since gotten me interested).  But as I read on, I saw more and more people say how great it was, so I finally looked it up.  I read the site, then probably looked it up on TVTropes, and finally decided it was worth a shot.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »

I was bored so I look up to simulation games on TV Tropes and there was DF so I read the page and the game sounded fun so I downloaded it.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 10:23:44 pm »

What kin was that?  It would be great to get up to some Moria questin' with a group of Dwarf Fortress fans.

Glory of the Longbeards, for certain, and some others whose kin name I cannot recall (Heralds of Durin mayhaps?).
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 12:40:57 am »

I remember seeing the page on Bay12Games around...either late 2006 or sometime in 2007 that was announcing the release of something called Dwarf Fortress. Before then, I just used to play Liberal Crime Squad a great deal, and idly lounged around with the other B12 games available. I wasn't all that excited.

When it did come out, it took a month for me to get around to trying it out, and I was pretty much amazed by the depth of the game at that point, and shot some emails at poor Toady asking how to build workshops and wells.

Damn, and today it has multiple axes and a volley of complex mechanisms and interactions. Dwarf Fortress is probably the most stunning independent, free game I've ever had the fortune to lay eyes on.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 12:49:03 am »

TVTropes ==> Boatmurdered ==> Laughing too hard to read ==> Playing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4