Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51

Author Topic: Hell: After the End (HATEmoo)  (Read 100200 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Hell: After the End (HATEmoo)
« on: July 15, 2011, 05:36:06 pm »

HATEmoo is a post apocalyptic MUD, similar to games like Fallout, STALKER, and other games set after the collapse of civilization. HATEmoo is a split off from Hellmoo, if any of you have played it, with different features and players than the former. Generally, its chiller too.

For those that have never played before, HATEmoo is an open-ended game. You can do whatever you wish, be whoever you want. You can build powerful corporations, construct and pilot aircraft, create powerful weapons, slay horribly mutated creatures, or simply roam about and explore the wastes. You can hunt and kill other players if you wish; there are no non PvP areas here; buff up quickly or make friends, its survival of the fittest out there. You can purchase an apartment to store your gear and protect your valuables, but be forewarned: robbery is allowed (and often encouraged), so you have to be smart, strong and fast to keep your things safe from those that wish to take them away. On the flipside, you can rob others just as easily as they can you, so gear up and enact your revenge.

You begin life as an orphan, and grow up as you play through the game, building your base stats and skills. Clubs, blades, guns, whips, spears and more are all viable weapons, and a wide array of support skills exist as well, from crafting weaponry and armor, to using science to make portalguns, to using chemistry to reverse aging and cure zombie rot, to medic and repair fixing you and your gear, to using bombs to destroy obstacles in your way.

Code: [Select]
You rush aggressively at the R811.
The R811 attacks you!
Rail flashes a deadly titanium combat knife strike at the R811!
The R811 lashes wildly at Rail with its buzzsaw.
[R##*R][ 55%] Something bursts and hisses in the R811 as Rail cuts deep into its leg, spraying oil.
A spray of the R811's oil hits you!
[R###R][  5%] Rail cuts deep into the R811's arm, spraying oil.
[R/R][  100%] the R811 tries to slice up Rail with its buzzsaw but only cuts the air with a high-pitched whine.
[R#*R][   0%] The R811's chassis goes limp with a *POP* when Rail carves a chunk from its abdomen.

As you gain xp and improve your skills, you will gain mutation slots, which allow you to, well, mutate. Each mutation is unique, and their effects vary wildly. Some may boost a certain skill, others might boost or penalize stats. Some have unique abilities, like being able to fly, teleport, or even physically locate other players. Some mutations even change your race altogether, transforming you into a night dwelling vampire, an acid blooded combat machine known as an abomination, or even a shambling, bullet resistant zombie.

You can connect with your favorite MUD/telnet client at:

hell.meux.org
port 7777

The wiki for HATEmoo is located here:http://hell.meux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Its full of helpful info and guides written by players to help you get into the game.

See you in hell!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:28:32 pm by Eagle »

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hell: After the End (HATEmoo)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 05:42:19 pm »

I haven't played either one, but out of curiosity, what are the different features, and why did it split off? Usually these sorts of things branch off because people had disagreements on how to run things, so I'm just wondering.

Dimitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 05:44:13 pm »

To my (limited) knowledge, the main differences in HATE, at least for a newb, are comparatively rapid advancement and a permissive attitude towards PvP/PK'ing.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »

I haven't played either one, but out of curiosity, what are the different features, and why did it split off? Usually these sorts of things branch off because people had disagreements on how to run things, so I'm just wondering.

The moos split due to differing opinions on how the game should be run. In general, HATEmoo allows you to pvp, steal, rob, murder, etc etc, much more freely than hellmoo does. Progression in hatemoo is also much faster, due to lowered xp costs from traditional hell, and the playerbase is overall more chill.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »

HATEmoo allows you to pvp, steal, rob, murder, etc etc, much more freely than hellmoo does.

(...)and the playerbase is overall more chill.

Having played HellMOO, I don't understand how the latter concept follows the former. I mean, how's the people nicer in an environment that more easily allows (encourages too!) them to be the opposite? :o

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 06:59:57 pm »

HATEmoo allows you to pvp, steal, rob, murder, etc etc, much more freely than hellmoo does.

(...)and the playerbase is overall more chill.

Having played HellMOO, I don't understand how the latter concept follows the former. I mean, how's the people nicer in an environment that more easily allows (encourages too!) them to be the opposite? :o

There's kind of a mutual attitude of the community that is respected by people.
People who are easy to aggravate or take their shit way too seriously often become the target of a lot of attacks and griefing, because other people enjoy getting a rise out of them.
People who are just chill about everything and don't take the game too seriously tend to play without any (or at least not a lot) of trouble from other people.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 07:04:13 pm »

There's kind of a mutual attitude of the community that is respected by people.
People who are easy to aggravate or take their shit way too seriously often become the target of a lot of attacks and griefing, because other people enjoy getting a rise out of them.
People who are just chill about everything and don't take the game too seriously tend to play without any (or at least not a lot) of trouble from other people.

That sounds like the HellMOO I played. It was before the split and before Macero and the other, newer islands were made aircraft-accessible.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:42:10 pm »

What are the rules regarding roleplay?  Encouraged/enforced/intensive?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:47:14 pm »

Non-existent.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:58:28 pm »

Non-existent.

Well that's me out then.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »

Non-existent.

Well that's me out then.

Non-existant meaning "noone gives a shit, do what you will."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:18:24 pm »

Non-existant meaning "noone gives a shit, do what you will."
Well that's me out then.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41:51 pm »

Hmmm Didn't get too much into hellmoo, might try again.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:50:17 pm »

Is this one as, ah, depraved as HellMOO? I'd rather people not carry out their crazed sexual fetishes on my @, which is mostly what kept me from looking into it in the first place.

While there are still the good old rape/slaughter/orphan rape and slaughter jokes, the sexhaving has gone down immensely in HATEmoo.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 12:03:29 am »

I haven't played much since the split since the grind was getting to me, but HATE's main benefit seems to be in the administrators. As far as I can tell, they got rid of alot of the moody/lazy folks, leaving the game in the hands of people who care about it and it shows. While I was playing there were a great deal less admin hijinks afoot than I ever saw in HellMoo, leaving the players able to actually play the game instead of wonder why the local bar was suddenly coated in scissors. Griefing was also pretty much gone, though that may have just been a product of the player restart.

It gave me the time to realize that the game was too grindy for my tastes at the mid- to high-levels instead of ragequit in the first three days due to losing everything to some randomly murderous advanced player. There was an actual corp willing to sign me instead of just faking a job offer to dispatch a death squad to my door. My door was actually able to be in a secure location thanks to the elimination of deadwood accounts parking up the good apartments. I think the only thing I'd still want from the game would be the elimination of the ability to lose valuable skill raws if you aren't forking over the odd boatload of game money to keep your clone up to date. That'd be pretty much perfect.

EDIT: All that and the fun of playing a female fists character for rapeblock-fu. Then taking advantage of the combat boost of horniness and a strap-on to extract freudian vengeance on the world's males. Good times.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:09:24 am by HLBeta »
... and then it explodes!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51