Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mechanics of noble bedroom jealousy  (Read 14323 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mechanics of noble bedroom jealousy
« on: July 16, 2011, 08:08:11 pm »

I was trying to figure out the exact circumstances of when a noble will get upset that someone else has a better bedroom, so I modded the expedition leader to have the SLEEP_PRETENSION tag, gave him a meager quarters, gave a few other dwarves grand quarters, and even made the meeting place inside the bedroom of one of dwarves with a grand bedroom, but got no unhappy thoughts about other people having better bedrooms.  I also assigned the two other dwarves as bookkeeper and broker, in case it only triggered in the case of nobles and administrators.  Does it not work if the noble in question is friends with dwarf who has the better bedroom?  Or am I doing something else wrong?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics of noble bedroom jealousy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:52:42 pm »

Press 'R': it will show you a list of rooms and their "quality". Nobles don't like non-nobles to have better quality rooms than them. Paving the floor with Obsidian Blocks or metals should increase the quality of the room, as will nicer furniture and enlarging it.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:02:29 pm »

magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:05:08 pm »

i'm not usually one for sigquotes, but that is too amusing.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:10 pm »

Press 'R': it will show you a list of rooms and their "quality".

I'd used that; showed the expedition leader as having a meager bedroom and two other dwarves as having great/grand bedrooms.  Still no jealousy on the part of the expedition leader, even thought I'd modded them to be jealous.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:20:51 pm »

Try assigning a jealous position to a migrant. You could be onto something with the friends thing...
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 11:54:20 pm »

Could it be that the expedition leader does not consider himself to be above the other dwarves because he needs no special conditions to appear unlike other nobles with sleep pretension? Or because he has no room requirements?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:41:54 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 04:18:06 am »

Press 'R': it will show you a list of rooms and their "quality". Nobles don't like non-nobles to have better quality rooms than them. Paving the floor with Obsidian Blocks or metals should increase the quality of the room, as will nicer furniture and enlarging it.
I thought it was the absolute value of the room that mattered, not the value of the rooms compared to his own room?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 07:38:58 am »

Nope, dwarves are finally getting the hang of basic economics. About time, they've had quantum entanglement for years.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 08:27:53 pm »

Could it be that the expedition leader does not consider himself to be above the other dwarves because he needs no special conditions to appear unlike other nobles with sleep pretension? Or because he has no room requirements?

Aha!  I genned a new world were the expedition leader has the requirement of a meager bedroom, and now she gets unhappy thoughts about other dwarves having better bedrooms.  Doesn't need to see the other bedroom, the other dwarf can be a friend or enemy (the subject of a grudge), and the other dwarf doesn't have to be a noble.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:37:08 pm »

What my observation has been is that nobles only care that the value of a room for other, lesser nobles does not exceed the minimum that noble expects.  Hence, if a noble requires a "Fine" room, then if they have a "Splended" room, higher up nobles will think that they have rooms above their station.

My solution has been to make very basic rooms, then incrimentally increase their value with engravings and decorative furniture until they match the noble's requirements exactly. 

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 01:02:30 am »

What my observation has been is that nobles only care that the value of a room for other, lesser nobles does not exceed the minimum that noble expects.  Hence, if a noble requires a "Fine" room, then if they have a "Splended" room, higher up nobles will think that they have rooms above their station.

I tested that by giving my bookkeeper a throne room, but my expedition leader (with a royal throne room) didn't mind.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 01:05:04 am »

Throne room = office though?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 01:24:31 am »

I had a Duchess with two Royal bedrooms, and she still was utterly traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping arrangements

Admittedly, a good half of the people that actually had bedrooms had Royal bedrooms too, but that was entirely from engravings... engravings that her room was full of too and literally nobody else had a single cabinet/chest. In fact, one of her two rooms had three artifacts in it, and she had a much, much bigger room than anyone else.

The only thing about this whole thing was... her rooms were so epic that she was okay with being utterly traumatized for years and only got mad when multiple of her friends all died at the same time (speaking of which, I should probably dig up that save (I couldn't figure out how to kill that fort, and I couldn't bring myself to abandon it) and check which of her royal mausoleums she got buried in).

Please note: She immediately was utterly traumatized, long before I added the gold statues to my mayor's office to make him shut up (actually, she was mayor for a while, and was still complaining).

Theory: Native Gold with masterwork engravings in it made her mad.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 04:13:15 pm »

I once made a dining room for every dwarf by placing alot of silver tables and thrones next to each other and then made every dining room cover every piece of furniture (didnt know it won't work and make dwarfs totally ignore every table). Turns out, it results in every dining room being considered royal, even with divided value. Their value was not even close to artifact ridden place of my duchess, but still she got the utterly traumatized though. Adding another 10 or so artifact furniture pieces didn't change anything.
Pages: [1] 2