Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Love. Hate. Questions  (Read 7725 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Love. Hate. Questions
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »

I always had way more than my strand extractor could process, so I didn't need to go deep.
aside from arms and armor, i built constructions with the stuff.  and my hospital claimed some as well..... the greedy bastards.

but i will need more for the army i am building...
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »

I always had way more than my strand extractor could process, so I didn't need to go deep.
aside from arms and armor, i built constructions with the stuff.  and my hospital claimed some as well..... the greedy bastards.

but i will need more for the army i am building...

I've found that If you spawn on a volcano, it's worth the time and effort to melt down everything that isn't Masterwork/Exceptional. Masterwork Bronze is pretty good.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 04:55:41 pm »

With some minor changes you could make that more inclusive, and by doing so, wouldn’t have to worry about coming across as sexist. For example:

Mini-rant:
Have you ever been in a relationship with someone who is a bit ugly and you don't like their personality, not really, but  they’re willing to do things you like and they do everything you want? Except they’re stubborn and difficult and crazy too and it is really hard to get them to understand what you want? Geez, DF is like that.
[/quote]

Personally, I’m a control freak that loves being surprised. If  I can control things, I will, but something is only fun when the unexpected happens, so the crazier DF gets, the more successful I view it.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 07:44:44 am »

About migrants, if you dont mind the performance hit of all those generated dwarves in your units list, just set up mass executions for the unwanted. That's what I do, and I celebrate when a blank slate peasant or single skill competent walks on the map. Create a burrow in a dug out room/constructed pen that can be locked by a single door. Name the burrow "Death Burrow" or something, and pick the red exclaimation mark over black for the look. Now, as they enter the map, you can assign them to the burrow, preventing any unwanted contact/friendships with your established citizenry. They will stall once you assign the burrow, and only one at a time will walk to your room, just be patient, and a few may run off for a bite to eat or a drink outside of burrow if they are staving/dehydrated. It's ok, it will be their last meal. Once they are all properly situated, just lock the door and forget about them for a while.

They will dehydrate before they starve. If you prefer starving them, make sure you dump some booze barrels in the room and keep them fobidden until you lock the door. Then you will get cool starving engravings.

A few years in, you can create faster methods with upright spikes, weapontrap sleeping areas, or just a retractable bridge over a deep pit or magma. If you can recover the clothing/tools, you can even sell them to a caravan. Immigrantite!

Immigration will slow naturally due to the massive amount of death, and you'll get cool messages of migrants braving their way regardless of the danger. You will need many memorial slabs, dont forget slabs are mason'ed and then engraved, no need for stonecrafting even at the craft workshop. One of my Slimers knocked off a child's arm, the kid survived splendedly.

Migrant waves are like reaching into that bag of scrabble tiles. You never know when the grand master weaponsmith is going to show up, don't let all the lye-makers and comedians get you down!

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:12:51 am »

What exactly makes a lye maker less useful than a peasant? They're like peasants in every way except they know how to make lye. When you finally start up a soap industry to keep your badass sword lords from dying of infection, you'd best not be complaining about how hard it is to start up a soap industry after you've murdered all the lye makers and soap makers.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 08:31:23 am »

Quantum Stockpile

1) Designate your bone stockpile around/above/below your craft workshop.
2) Let it fill up.
3) Temporarily designate a single tile Dump Zone in a tile next to the workshop, inside the stockpile.
4) Dump them bones.
5) Reclaim them bones.
6) Un-designate the Dump Zone.

The bones will stay put, and the rest of the stockpile will be free for more bones.
You can do this with any stockpile.  It is particularly useful for your metal industry.  You can fit all of your ore, flux, iron, and pig iron in a single tile next to the smelter.
With sufficient micromanagement.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 09:35:57 am »

...you'd best not be complaining about how hard it is to start up a soap industry after you've murdered all the lye makers and soap makers.

Yeah, I'd rather murder them then not allow them to be "born" in the first place by setting my low cap. Those skills I don't care much for are accomplished by my dabbling farmers or anything else. You can get a grower to make lye, you just have to turn on his lye-making labor.

...You can do this with any stockpile.  It is particularly useful for your metal industry.  You can fit all of your ore, flux, iron, and pig iron in a single tile next to the smelter.
With sufficient micromanagement.

I always do this to reserve materials for more important purposes, or to bring hundreds of raw materials right next to the workshop to get that mechanic or mason blazing up in xp. If you dump the dozens of crafts cluttering the workshop as well, you can focus your entire labor force into increasing efficiency for that single/those few workshops. Just make sure you cancel those finished goods dump orders when you need to do something else like load up the depot. Works well if you dump those future exports directly on/near your depot, and leave them fobidden until you need them.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »

I've found that If you spawn on a volcano, it's worth the time and effort to melt down everything that isn't Masterwork/Exceptional. Masterwork Bronze is pretty good.

no volcano, nothing but tetrahedrite and a smattering of platinum.  i've traded for the steel and bronze i needed.  in the process of melting down everything not masterwork bonze and steel, but that will take decades.   candy is quicker, and outright better.

two levels beneath the surface of the magma sea, it is safe.  the next level down is perfectly cylindrical.  hmmm...  i can see another spire not too far away.

i think i'll wait for some children to grow up.  it'll give me time to figure out how i'm going to turn the second cavern layer, flooded with water, FB secretions, and FB blood, into an emergency deathtrap of sorts.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 08:26:12 pm »

no volcano, nothing but tetrahedrite and a smattering of platinum.  i've traded for the steel and bronze i needed.  in the process of melting down everything not masterwork bonze and steel, but that will take decades.   candy is quicker, and outright better.

two levels beneath the surface of the magma sea, it is safe.  the next level down is perfectly cylindrical.  hmmm...  i can see another spire not too far away.

i think i'll wait for some children to grow up.  it'll give me time to figure out how i'm going to turn the second cavern layer, flooded with water, FB secretions, and FB blood, into an emergency deathtrap of sorts.
Flood it with magma, duh.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39:49 pm »

Flood it with magma, duh.
i was kind of thinking the other way around.  i hear tale that clowns like magma.  i want to see how much they like the obsidian casting process, including FB secretions and such.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 09:09:00 am »

i was kind of thinking the other way around.  i hear tale that clowns like magma.
Swim in it like booze, they do.

i want to see how much they like the obsidian casting process, including FB secretions and such.
Casting Armok's holy blood into good solid stone will annihilate most (all? I don't recall) items and AFAIK all creatures. Obsidian casters are more troublesome to reset than most traps, however, because they require that their interior be mined out anew between each cycle.

Most people use obsidian casters to create valuable stone on demand from infinite water/magma sources, as obsidian has a value of 3, which is higher than all other stones.
Pages: 1 [2]