Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: QuakeWinds! Sinister volcano story fort (+ Fort Defense mod) SIEGES APLENTY!!!  (Read 7842 times)

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st Obsidian

Gomathkordonitom is a dangerous world.  With so many Titans and other megafauna, it is amazing that any civilization set down roots, let alone as many that did.  That is where I come in.  Adventurers from all over the Kingdom of The Ultimate Wheel were chosen to lead expeditions to make the world safer.  Some would go out and take on the evils of the world in single combat.  Others would lead armies in the endless campaigns against the goblins, frogmen, blendecs, and assorted other evils across the world. This has been costly.

My mission, on the other hand, is different.  I am to build an outpost, in the hopes that the evil ones would throw their might against us, rather than the Mountainhomes, to give them a chance to rebuild the military.  After the briefing, I had only one question:  Whose ale did I piss in to draw this assignment?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a suicide mission, plain and simple.  The general didn't even bother denying it when I asked him "Hey, is this a suicide mission?". There is only one saving grace. This place has a volcano to toss my mangled corpse in.

*sigh*

Might as well get used to the idea. 

2nd Obsidian

The Royal Prospectors did assure me that there was plenty of iron ore, and that conditions were perfect for marble formation, though I might have to dig pretty deep for it.  Whether I should trust them is another matter, since they started babbling like idiots after giving their report.

3rd Obsidian

I meet with the other six fools going with me.  They seem like decent fellows, though a bit over-eager to get going.

With trepidation, I lead my group to their possible doom.

1st Granite

I am awoken early in the morning and told that we have arrived.  I step out of the wagon, expecting to see the punctured sphincter of the world...

...the hell?  This looks like a prime vacation spot.  Maybe this place won't be so bad after all.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:08:56 am by Gyvon »

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
Re: QuakeWinds! Sinister volcano community fort (+ Fort Defense mod)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »

This is a suicide mission, plain and simple.  The general didn't even bother denying it when I asked him "Hey, is this a suicide mission?". The only saving grace this place has is a volcano to toss my mangled corpse in.

grammar nazi says hello :U
I am a Goober.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:32:50 pm »

Damnit, I missed that. fixed that sentence.

back to the story:

1st Granite

All right, first thing I gotta do is tell the Ber and Ingiz to start digging a hole for us to live in.  Ingiz suggests digging a twisting corridor for traps at the entrance, so any invaders would be softened up before they reach the militia.  It sounds like a good idea to me.

3rd Granite

The miners dig further down to what will be the main hall, dining room, and workshop level and struck alunite.  This should be decent building materiels for the workshops.

6th Granite

While digging out the workshops, the miners find a vein of galena.

Hopefully it's rich enough that we'll have plenty of silver to send back to the Mountainhomes.

13th Granite

We've hit damp stone in the main hall.  Hopefully it's not an aquifer.  I've ordered that area to not be dug out.

19th Granite

More galena.  This time in the kitchen area.  I've got high hopes for this place now.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:35:45 pm by Gyvon »

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:50:22 pm »

If your dwarfing, could I take the palidin?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:28:55 pm »

This is pretty cool Gyvon! You're doing a good level of in character writing while still being to the point and not going on too long. This is also I think the first sinister outing I've seen that looked so good. Like you said, almost like a vacation spot! XD Between that and the Galena so soon it seems like you're off to a very good start. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this turns out!

Are you looking for any kind of participation from the audience? I'm brand new to DF so I don't want to be in charge and blow anything up but I'd be glad to participate if you do something else.

Thanks for the cool thread. Good luck with everything! ^^

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:37:53 am »

If your dwarfing, could I take the palidin?

Can't be the paladin.  That's me.

Are you looking for any kind of participation from the audience?

Not really.  I'm just trying to tell a story.  Might change in the future though.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:39:44 am by Gyvon »

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: QuakeWinds! Sinister volcano story fort (+ Fort Defense mod)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:29:21 am »

23rd Granite

The miners decide to go on a beer break.  I need that meeting hall finished ASAP guys.  I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this place.

25th Granite

About time.  Now we have a safe place to hole up in case of emergency.

26th Granite

In lighter news, one of the puppies I brought along has grown up.

5th-7th Slate

The food stockpile was dug out, then the farming area.  I have ordered all food on the wagons brought inside

17th Slate

Ah crap, vacation's over

Fucker killed the dog that just grew up too.  Now I gotta wait a while longer before starting the breeding program

20th Slate

Another werewolf!  At least these guys are relatively easy to kill.

23rd Slate

Another one?  You have got to be kidding me

26th Slate

Ok, I think that's the last one.  This one actually wounded me too.  It's only a scratch but I should still get the arms industry up and running sooner than planned.

At least the panda has calmed me down a little

Also the main goods stockpile was finished while all that was going on.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:31:09 am by Gyvon »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:33:16 pm »

Ha, werewolves. XD At least your fort is looking good though. Say, for those of us with no experience with the mod, would you mind detailing what Fort Defense does, or giving a link to it? I wondering what exactly the paladin is, for instance.

And ack, no dogs for you. I saw a yak and donkey in the first screenshot, did you bring cats or any other animals too? Speaking of that first screenshot, was that webbing at the top Phantom Spider webbing?

Also, yay Panda! This is the first time I've seen one in game. He'll starve to death for lack of bamboo though, right?

Hope you don't mind all the questions. Good to see this proceeding at a decent pace!

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:57:13 pm »

Nice writing, I'm eager to see more.

I'd like the future weaponsmith if possible, when you will start the metal industry.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »

Ha, werewolves. XD At least your fort is looking good though. Say, for those of us with no experience with the mod, would you mind detailing what Fort Defense does, or giving a link to it? I wondering what exactly the paladin is, for instance.

And ack, no dogs for you. I saw a yak and donkey in the first screenshot, did you bring cats or any other animals too? Speaking of that first screenshot, was that webbing at the top Phantom Spider webbing?

Also, yay Panda! This is the first time I've seen one in game. He'll starve to death for lack of bamboo though, right?

Hope you don't mind all the questions. Good to see this proceeding at a decent pace!
The fortress defence mod is amod that adds a Sh*t ton of siegeing and abusher races, including war elephants. I think the paladin is simply  a renaming of another class(you can rename classes in anymod)
I never played it personally but heres the link
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62874.0
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:06:07 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:53:03 pm by UltraValican »

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 01:38:59 pm »

Ultravalican explained the mod better than I could.

The Palidan is just a custom profession name, like builder, lumberjack, kitchen worker, etc, and you can enter those in vanilla DF.

No cats.  I brought 1 male dog, and 5 female puppies (accidentally).  The werewolf just killed the one that grew up.

The Panda is wild, so I'm not worried about it starving.  I'm worried about it tearing (My) the militia commander's face off like one did in a previous fortress.

And yes, that webbing is phantom spider webs.

Cheveux added to the dorfing list.  Hoping for another update late tonight, sometime in the morning at the latest.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:52:25 pm »

sorry for double post.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »

Thanks a lot for the link to the mod UltraValican, you rock! ;)

Now I'm really interested to see how you handle all the new savage races Gyvon. The link to the mod talked about different difficulty settings, are you playing the mod normally or on challenge mod? Either way, it sounds like it should be "Fun"!

Bringing all those dogs I can only assume you plan to train them and have an army of War Dogs? I commented on the Panda only because I know some people capture wild animals and breed them instead. If you can get a cage around something bigger and tougher that would be cool to see.

Otherwise, best of luck! So far you've been doing a good job writing. I hope to see more screenshots of how the fortress is developing though. I'm looking forward to the next update! :)

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »

are you playing the mod normally or on challenge mod? Either way, it sounds like it should be "Fun"!

Normal mode, and my civ is at war with Ferric Elves.  Should be extra fun
Pages: [1] 2 3 4