Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: QuakeWinds! Sinister volcano story fort (+ Fort Defense mod) SIEGES APLENTY!!!  (Read 7834 times)

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: QuakeWinds! Sinister volcano story fort (+ Fort Defense mod)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:38:48 am »

20th Felsite

The volcano has been breached.  I now have power for my forges.  They should be up and running just as soon as I get some metalworkers in this place.

23rd Felsite

Started digging out the apartment complex.  Struck pyrite crystals.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just wish it was gold instead.

25th Felsite

I need iron.  I can see a hematite vein in the outside wall of the volcano.  I order a shaft dug so we can easily access it without going outside.

12th Malachite

Expanded the apartment complex.  Should be able to hold 40 dwarves comfortably when it's finished.  For my trouble, I was rewarded with a Pipe Opal cluster.

2nd Galena

The first wave of migrants have arrived.

Stakud's an accomplished carpenter, so I tell Zefon to focus on masonry and mechanics.  Urdim immediately gets to work hunting for food, and even bags a bull moose.  In response, I order a butchers shop dug out and built immediately.

5th Galena

I'm starting to wonder if the Royal Prospectors, mad as they were, were right about there being marble around here.  They were right about the hematite, and it looks to be a fairly rich vein.  I order another shaft dug near the hematite shaft, this one going down.

12th Galena

Haven't hit marble yet, but miners report finding a tetrahedrite vein.  With all the galena I've found so far, we're practically swimming in silver.

Apologies to Cheveux.  I know you specifically requested a weaponsmith, but this is the best you get.  Otherwise, I run the risk of forgetting about dorfing people.  Don't worry though, he'll be making plenty of weapons.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:41:04 am by Gyvon »

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 09:16:34 am »

14th Galena

Urdim, our hunter, has been made captain of an archer squad, consisting of only himself at the moment.

22nd Galena

The miners report finding marble!  Those crazy hicks at the Royal Prospectors guild were right again!

28th Galena

I have ordered the tetrahedrite vein strip mined so that Tirist, our resident lye maker, can learn a useful trade by smelting copper which Cheveux can use to train and follow his dream to be a weaponsmith.  It was actually kinda creepy when he told me about that dream.

9th Limestone

The barracks and armory have been dug out

Now I just need to tell Stakud to start cranking out storage bins.

fear my awesome mouse writing skillz

21st Limestone

Another wave of migrants.  This one includes a cook, a glazer (useless here, what with the lack of sand and all), a siege engineer, and an animal caretaker.  The population is now a grand total of 20.

I've ordered the glazer (can't be bothered to remember his name at the moment) to take up tanning and leatherworking, and the engineer to start making charcoal.  We'll have steel production up and running long before winter.

3rd Sandstone

Another puppy has grown up.  Let the breeding commence... ok, that sounded a lot less creepy in my head.   Maybe this place is starting to get to me.

11th Sandstone

Fath has created a mighty fine table.

It'll look good in the main hall, next to the rubble we haven't bothered to move yet.

19th timber

The autumn caravan has arrived, along with the outpost liaison.  No dangerous beasties about to waylay them either.

24th Timber

Ordered the usual from the liaison, food, booze, leather, and gypsum plaster.  The Mountainhomes have requested that we make a few specific things for next years caravan.  Apparently goblets are selling at a premium.

While that was going on, our broker unloaded a bunch of rock crafts (crap) on the caravan.  We used it to buy food.  We asked for booze, but they didn't have any.  What kind of dwarven caravan doesn't bring any booze with them?  Or maybe they did, and drank it all on the way.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:38:43 am by Gyvon »

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 09:35:43 am »

We have a volcano, hematite and flux, that's mighty fine embark we have there!  I appreciate the screenshots, there's plenty of them, the one on the 11th Sandstone is broken though.
Also,
Apologies to Cheveux.  I know you specifically requested a weaponsmith, but this is the best you get.  Otherwise, I run the risk of forgetting about dorfing people.  Don't worry though, he'll be making plenty of weapons.
It's alright, as long as I end up weaponsmith, I'm happy.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 10:19:33 am »

Thanks for the double update! Cheveux already pointed out the broken link, other than that this is looking good!

Another puppy has grown up.  Let the breeding commence... ok, that sounded a lot less creepy in my head.

I laughed. XD Things do seem to be going well since now you recovered the lost puppy, and you have a large amount of iron and hopefully flux as well. It looks like you should easily be able to outfit everyone in steel.

Considering the mod, I'm surprised you haven't had trouble with more than werewolves. You hit 20 population, and I think that's the cue for other things to start attacking.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 10:39:45 am »

We have a volcano, hematite and flux, that's mighty fine embark we have there!  I appreciate the screenshots, there's plenty of them, the one on the 11th Sandstone is broken though.

Thanks for pointing it out.  It was a broken tag.  fixed.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 12:06:12 am »

I am liking this so far. If you are taking dwarf names, can I have a furnace operator?
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 12:14:58 am »

Sure thing, if I get one.  I make it a point to not to rename dwarves already mentioned, and currently my only furnace operator dwarf is the lye maker from the first migrant wave.

edit:  small update before bed.

27th Timber

I just counted our rooms, and we don't have nearly enough to house the 80 dwarves we are expected to get over the coming seasons.  I order the apartment complex drastically expanded.

Stakud is told to start cranking out beds like nobody's business.

11th Moonstone

Cheveux has pulled through.  I am now fully clad in steel armor, with a well made steel sword to carry into battle.  The werewolves will rue the day they attacked this fortress.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:47:04 am by Gyvon »

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 09:16:16 am »

Ok, this one's pretty eventful.  Hold on to your socks, everyone.

14th Moonstone

Our resident glazer, Dobar, has been struck by inspiration, and he is demanding a glass furnace.  Good thing the caravan is still here and has sandbags, or he'd be shit out of luck.

21st Moonstone

The glass furnace is completed and immediately claimed by dobar.  Now he's demanding raw green glass.  *sigh*.  Looks like I'll need to build another glass furnace.

27th Moonstone

The second glass furnace is completed.  I order my mason to attempt to make a piece of raw green glass.  He does a terrible job, but it seems enough to please Dobar.  He has started his mysterious construction.

4th Opal

Dobar has completed Igishnitig Avaldolek, or "Bodicebites the Lovely Comet" in the common tongue.

22nd Opal

I've been on edge for the past month.  I've ordered galena smelted, and the resulting silver used to make spiked balls for the trap corridor.

24th Opal

Cheveux is now officially a weaponsmith.  I signed the official paperwork naming him such, and congratulated him heartilly.

3rd Obsidian

This nagging feeling that something's going to happen is still bothering me.  Still, we need webs in case we get a weaver next spring.  I order Etur, the lumberjack topside to collect some.  HOpefully I'm just being paranoid.

19th Obsidian

Wouldn't you know it, they show up just when I sit down for a drink.  At least it's just a bunch of Dark Stranglers.  They look scary, but they're not that tough.  This will be a nice workout.

21st Obsidian

Apparently they're also cowardly.  I barely scratched one and they all up and ran for the hills.  The siege is broken with no casualties... well, almost no casualties.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:09:01 am by Gyvon »

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 10:07:10 am »

Siege! Nice, but watch out, the dark stranglers can kill your dwarves by their number rather than by their force. You shouldn't have too much problem though since you're armored in steel.

Cheveux is now officially a weaponsmith.  I signed the official paperwork naming him such, and congratulated him heartilly.

Woohoo!

[/img]

Broken link.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 10:53:43 am »

Alright! Looks like you're doing a good job of defending the fortress! Having that steel must really be awesome, I've yet to personally get a game going where I had a good source for steel.

I also laughed at the glassmaking scenario, good thing you got that worked out. I'm surprised the Diety of caverns and mountains was depicted as a female yak cow, though. XD

Again, I'm surprised you haven't been attacked by more things so far. I guess I didn't fully understand how the mod works because I thought it would have sent a lot more of the mod creatures at you by now.

You did a good job editing the two page report together. It's also cool to read about what kind of traps you're setting up and such, but it'd be nice to have more screenshots of the actual fortress layout so we could see stuff like that. Otherwise now that you have a legendary glassworker do you have sand to get the glass industry going? What industry do you have going now besides the metal?

Thanks again for updating on a fairly regular basis! Good luck with everything! ^^

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 11:33:09 am »

Alright! Looks like you're doing a good job of defending the fortress! Having that steel must really be awesome

Very much so

I also laughed at the glassmaking scenario, good thing you got that worked out. I'm surprised the Diety of caverns and mountains was depicted as a female yak cow, though. XD

They're dwarves, what do you expect?

Again, I'm surprised you haven't been attacked by more things so far. I guess I didn't fully understand how the mod works because I thought it would have sent a lot more of the mod creatures at you by now.

I'm actually surprised they attacked this early.  It's only the first year, and the mod usually gives you a at least 1 year to get up and running.

You did a good job editing the two page report together. It's also cool to read about what kind of traps you're setting up and such, but it'd be nice to have more screenshots of the actual fortress layout so we could see stuff like that.

I can do that later today, probably tonight.

Otherwise now that you have a legendary glassworker do you have sand to get the glass industry going?

Nope, not a speck of sand on this map.  No clay either.  Just loam.

What industry do you have going now besides the metal?

Just stonecrafting.  I would've had the leatherworking industry up but I accidentally brought puppies, not fully grown dogs.  That'll be rectified in the next update, however.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 02:15:59 pm »

1st Granite

According to Monom, Dark Stranglers are "mighty tasty".  He has proceeded to butcher and cook the casualties (upped to two from the initial report of one).

Dobar is not letting the skin go to waste and is tanning it.

12th Granite

Apparently werewolves are a yearly occurence here.  This one chased and severely injured our yak before I managed to kill it.  The yak cow had to be put down, unfortunately.

17th Granite

Migrants!  A lot of them!.  We have:

1 cook, 2 shearers, 2 siege engineers (1 now
enlisted), 1 diagnoser (Now Chief Medical Dwarf), 2 Potash maker, 1
suturer, 1 engraver, 1 architect (now miner), 1 carpenter (enlisted),
1 clerk (Bookkeeper/manager), 1 metalsmith, 1 animal caretaker, 1
dyer, 1 gem setter, 1 milker, 1 presser, 1 thresher, 1 farmer. 
Population up to 41.

They also brought a bunch of stray animals with them.  I have ordered them all to be butchered (the animals, you monsters), to jump start the meat and leather industry.

28th Granite

While digging out the well for the hospital, my good friend, Ber Dumatamass has drowned. *sob*  He will be sorely missed.  His body is not recoverable.  I have ordered a memorial slab for him.

13th Slate

After the drowning based delay, the hospital and CMD's house has been completed.

14th slate

I have ordered a spear, sword, and breastplates made for the new recruits.  I have also ordered more steel made so I can better armor them.

23rd Slate

The memorial hall has been dug out, and Ber's slab placed inside.  I have odered our new engravers to smooth the place out.

24th Slate

I have cancelled Rock Pot construction.  We have plenty of spares.  We need stone crafts for the expected Elven caravan next month.

2nd Felsite

The migrants have complained about the lack of furnishings in their rooms.  Apparently beds are not good enough for them.  *sigh*  Guess it wouldn't hurt to build some cabinets for them to store their stuff in.

9th Felsite

... Apparently I am not as observant as I thought.  I thought Cheveux was a guy!  Why did she wait until AFTER giving birth to correct me?

13th Felsite

In celebration, Monom organized a party.  I have ordered extra booze to be produced, just in case.

As promised, here's the fortress layout, with nifty captions

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 08:41:26 pm »

Very nice Gyvon! This was a good update. I really appreciate you posting those screenshots so we can get a better feel for the fortress. It's neat to see your sense of design. I'm particularly impressed with the apartment complex, which is more sophisticated and stylish than anything I've attempted bedroom wise. If those ungrateful migrants don't appreciate the large rooms I'm sure they be more than happy once you add furniture. Speaking of the migrants:

They also brought a bunch of stray animals with them.  I have ordered them all to be butchered (the animals, you monsters)

I laughed. XD

I'm glad you put the Dark stranglers to good use, I hope you get something out of the werewolves too. It does seem like you really know what you're doing when it comes to the military, so if you don't mind me asking you made a spear and sword for each soldier? I'm trying to get a grasp on how to outfit my squads myself, do you prefer spears and swords and why? Also, so far it seems like you're doing really well with the metal industry and have food and drink covered, not to mention the meat industry getting you leather and bone. What do you plan on trading the elves for?

I like your layout, it looks very professional. It looks like you have a lot of Galena in addition to the Iron, too bad lead and silver probably won't help you out as much as steel. Plus you must have got a ton of wood to make all those beds and still have that stockpile left; your woodcutter must be pretty handy with an axe.

Finally, Ber Dumatamass can rest in peace knowing he sacrficed his life for a worthy cause-making a well. So far Werewolves+Dark Stranglers 0, Well 1.

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the custom enemies once the sieges and invasions start. ;D

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 09:28:31 pm »

May I be dwarfed? I would like to be a male axe dwarf( If you don't wan't to make axes, I'll take spears :))
Name: Valican
Profession:If AxeDwarf: LimbRender If SpearDwarf: Hoplite.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »

May I be dwarfed? I would like to be a male axe dwarf( If you don't wan't to make axes, I'll take spears :))
Name: Valican
Profession:If AxeDwarf: LimbRender If SpearDwarf: Hoplite.

Sure thing.  You can have the current speardwarf if you want, since he hasn't technically appeared or been named yet.

It does seem like you really know what you're doing when it comes to the military, so if you don't mind me asking you made a spear and sword for each soldier?

I just made one spear, because one of the recruits had a decent spear skill.

Also, so far it seems like you're doing really well with the metal industry and have food and drink covered, not to mention the meat industry getting you leather and bone. What do you plan on trading the elves for?

Booze, food, leather, and cloth.  I always get as much of both as possible for the first couple years.

Plus you must have got a ton of wood to make all those beds and still have that stockpile left; your woodcutter must be pretty handy with an axe.

It's less him being handy with an axe, and more "Massive deforestation on embark"

P.S.  Flaming Toadstool has been dorfed as a Furnace operator (in training)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4