Poll

My Little Arachnid?

Good Idea
- 66 (80.5%)
Bad Idea
- 16 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fellow modders... This My Little Arachnid Mod... might actually happen...  (Read 10350 times)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fellow modders... I need DIScouragement...
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 01:36:45 pm »

Also not an image request o.O;;
Neither could I provide you anyways :P. Just got my new Wacom graphic tablet so it'll be some time before I'll be able to make "art" again.
These thing are hard to use, goddamnit!

Maybe later ...

And here I thought I'd love one some day, but in similar 'takes some getting used to' my brain doesn't map well to DDR style controllers.

As for "not an art request!" my brain meme hacked itself and the first items it came up with... scary @.@

so I flooded it with hunting for mla or ml spider searches. Oddly enough basically zip save for a pokemon: Aridos. and that only popped up because someone called it "my little spider-buddy"

Tangentally my roommate was looking at something on... kotaku? fox? either way... all kinds of 'ugly creatures' of earth like the coconut crab... and then he clicked over onto THE YETI CRAB.

All I could thinks was "Man if that had a Horn and a Stinger tail..." well and more fur... but it was so close to a Unicorpion.
Well, here's to making some crossover ponyspiders in the future then, huh?

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Fellow modders... I need DIScouragement...
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 05:34:48 pm »

You have a point... it would be nice to have them...

In playing at this... I genned a world -with the RSOF as multiple selections on a single entity- just to see what would happen. I gave them English as a language for I am lazy; religion instead of a monarchy; and let it fly for 999 years.

Parker147's Legends Viewer revealed interesting things. Some spider civs I expected to outlast others didn't. Some might have lasted longer if certain Aspectus Lolin races didn't crusade them into the stone age and conquer them outright. There were interesting Spider on Spider wars... perhaps they should have tried friendship.

All in all it was an interesting test. Especially since I haven't armed them outside their faces yet. I think they got shot to death for the most part.

Now I just have to @.@ caste everything to death, so I can see who ends up as what before the next phase of attempting what the polls say people wanna see @.@^34523

Edit: So... figured no need to bump. I talk to myself IRL no need to do that here if I can avoid it. So sometime before or after Captain America tomorrow I'll package up 'Real (Lesser) Unicorpions of Flavor'. Lesser? Well the Unicorpion as released -and taking over Human civilizations ^-^v -is 5 times their size at birth. They continue to remain larger. Giant Spiders and other Arachnids still are dwarfed by them.

No pun intended.

So I had to call them something different, or the big ones something different, and as a Stop Gap the RUOF are referred to as Lesser... and currently their larger counterparts are Giant Lesser Unicorpions. At least their hair is all the right color to -currently- match their chitin. Rainbows and what not will come later. I'm trying to get all my groupings together FIRST before I engage in any of the odd probably unworkable -or at least unwieldy- implementations I plan.

At least it was only a 'minor' change needed to fix the giants to have their own immunities. (fluttershy) yay! Oh I'm sorry... (/fluttershy)

Edit Edit:

Uploaded the Real Unicorpions of Flavor -includes Ferals.
Updated the Real Spiders of Flavor -includes Ferals.

Ferals are 'base' arachnids, black of hair chitin and eyes.

Contemplating Camel Spiders for 'Zebras'
Still unsure on the flight situation... may make them all see which jives better once built.

Comment: You never want to manually reconfigure 18 critters and 18 cv'd versions of same into one species. Not on an empty stomach. Not on a full stomach. Not in a Plane. Not on a Train. Not on a bus. Not even if you think it's no fuss.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:30:35 pm by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright... the first version of a massively casted MLA CIV has reached 'Huh' Stage and thus I suppose one could call it alpha.

The Huh. A Giant Oaken Spider has:
1) Been the only leader of her civilization for 900+ years.
2) Has a prosperous civilization of 31462 Spiders
3) Has only glanced at some kind of Megabeast...
4) Her Civilization is 'The Pillars of Uniting'
5) Lute Craftedtreats. Just... wow.

I expected Oak spiders to be kinda on the 'might be easy to beat the stuffing out of'. And this one ruler for forever... name like that... not even a listed duel. Huh. It's Pope Fluttershy. I bet she GLARED AT the megabeast and it 'right buggered off dinnit'?

Raws so you can see where I'm at: (Real Spiders of Flavor OR Real Unicorpions of Flavor for body parts and materials)

... the files are too big for direct inclusion(90K bytes selected and 75K bytes selected respectively according to UltraEdit). I don't feel like cluttering up dffd with 2 files, people seem terrified of personal website links so... Pastebin It Is.

creature_mla_spiders.txt
entity_mla.txt

Yeah their entity file isn't very vanilla but the sections are removable towards the bottom. Just leave Alluvian's Religion in or replace it with real positions.

I might not get to the (Lesser) Unicorpion massive caste-i-fication until late Sat, Late Sun, or Monday. The Dice call... the pencils shiver in anticipation...
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

If I were you, I would put them in a folder, compress it, and upload the resulting .zip.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

Some possible bugs and other oddities I spotted after skimming the raws:

Could have been a whole lot shorter, there are names of material states that will never be used (fixed temps, injection material only, etc). You could have also saved a lot of tedium by using [STATE_NAME_ADJ instead of a seperate NAME and ADJ tag. There is also some redundant caste selection tags (calling a caste for the first time selects it allready).

Something a bit strange is that your constantly calling the chitin tissue body detail plan, after allready having applied tissue layers. In my experience tissues also cant be modified caste specifically, what you will probably want to use for the metal spiders is this:
   [USE_TISSUE:CHITIN_IRON:CHITIN]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:IRON]
      [TISSUE_NAME:iron chitin:NP]
   [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:CHITIN:BY_CATEGORY:ALL]
      [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:CHITIN_IRON]
It copies the chitin tissue with the name CHITIN_IRON, gives it the right material and name, and replaces the allready placed, regular chitin tissue layer with iron chitin.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I were you, I would put them in a folder, compress it, and upload the resulting .zip.

A zip for 2 files in basically pre alpha state and nothing else.
No I'm not zipping that up. After I've blended in the Lesser U's I might do it then. I was just looking to show the files off. It's not a real release. Heck they're all still monochromatic.

Some possible bugs and other oddities I spotted after skimming the raws:

Could have been a whole lot shorter, there are names of material states that will never be used (fixed temps, injection material only, etc). You could have also saved a lot of tedium by using [STATE_NAME_ADJ instead of a seperate NAME and ADJ tag. There is also some redundant caste selection tags (calling a caste for the first time selects it allready).

Indeed by I don't want to MISS if I've hit them up already. Also it was in a LOT more pieces before the end result. Considering the time invested I'm mostly happy the oddities work, and my error_log is clean.
Something a bit strange is that your constantly calling the chitin tissue body detail plan, after allready having applied tissue layers. In my experience tissues also cant be modified caste specifically, what you will probably want to use for the metal spiders is this:
   [USE_TISSUE:CHITIN_IRON:CHITIN]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:IRON]
      [TISSUE_NAME:iron chitin:NP]
   [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:CHITIN:BY_CATEGORY:ALL]
      [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:CHITIN_IRON]
It copies the chitin tissue with the name CHITIN_IRON, gives it the right material and name, and replaces the allready placed, regular chitin tissue layer with iron chitin.

I don't even want to think about the changes needed to do this without a tool that does it for me. I am not a lord of regex. Also I no longer trust Select_Layer_Tissue. Tried it, couldn't color the chitin. Maybe if I colored the IRON I could go that route.

IIRC CHITIN:BY_CATEGORY:ALL didn't even want to work. It's why I ended up where I am now.

If/When they get specific spidery weapons, I'll likely have to strip everything out as some items while not necessarily overpowered might be too brittle.

IN ANY EVENT *puts down the megapho9ne* sorry ^^; The ferals could easily be played with to find an optimum solution, as they're a tad easier to adjust. (or the RSOF/RUOF). The mla spider file as seen above actually messed with my dreams last night @.@
--
Eldrick Tobin

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

I don't even want to think about the changes needed to do this without a tool that does it for me. I am not a lord of regex. Also I no longer trust Select_Layer_Tissue. Tried it, couldn't color the chitin. Maybe if I colored the IRON I could go that route.
Hehe fair enough, if it works it works. Its going to be a lot of Fun making adjustement later on though.

That set of tags works as is, not much you need to think about. Replace IRON with your material of choice, put it in your caste of choice, and your done.

Your trust issues probably stem from trying to use 'SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER' for color descriptions like 'its iron is black'. You need 'SET_TL_GROUP' for that.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That set of tags works as is, not much you need to think about. Replace IRON with your material of choice, put it in your caste of choice, and your done.

Your trust issues probably stem from trying to use 'SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER' for color descriptions like 'its iron is black'. You need 'SET_TL_GROUP' for that.

My trust issues stem from changing the tissue and thus zapping 'chitin' as a designation off the map. I had to change it to

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:IRON]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1]
            [TLCM_NOUN:chitin:SINGULAR]

For testing your proposal. With CHITIN on the SET_TL_GROUP line black was not used.

I'm testing both build types currently. So far both builds are comparable, but without an in game method of directly dumping who is made of what and where... (Haven't checked DFusion, don't recall dfcreaturedump listing such...)

Current Arena Testers:
AA Lazy Spider
AB Lazy Spider (Grimlocke Method)
AE Lazy Spider (Sphalerite Method)

Iron in use on AB and AE. No special Attacks -Bites Only. AA being a kind of control just becomes cannon fodder. AB and AE fight for good long periods and mostly seem to tear up things UNDER the chitin.

Small isn't it?

Only thing slowing down the testing... is that arena testing is really fracking annoying "Use macros!" In any fashion! So I've yet to do the exhaustive 20x20 tests - just pairs so far. My brain has got to know the answer about this, but getting there is... *insert non-existent video of a guy pushing back from his desk, swearing, breaking out a rocket launcher and waying laste to half the planet.*
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:20:56 am by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

Butchering is a good way to find out what tissues a creature is made of.

Also the later two creatures you made there should be the same thing, only difference is that my method makes a new tissue entry, while Sphalerites' removes the old chitin tissue and makes a new one.

I figured that with all the castes you were making you would want to keep an regular chitin tissue though.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Butchering is a good way to find out what tissues a creature is made of.

Also the later two creatures you made there should be the same thing, only difference is that my method makes a new tissue entry, while Sphalerites' removes the old chitin tissue and makes a new one.

I figured that with all the castes you were making you would want to keep an regular chitin tissue though.

Odd thing is I think I've been testing in too small amounts. Sometimes a given chitin method is like an unstoppable tank and then the next test -if I feel they could handle another- fells the previous champion without trying. And other odd permutations.

As for caste-ing. MLA alpha with Unicorpion castes is available for cringing and running screaming for the hills. Why? DF tried to. The casting is just enough that it forgot I HAD chitin declared, and so some toss away declarations had to be added. More overhead... but it's a blank error_log now. Even built to 125 years without a hitch. *presumed*

DFFD of the Zip File

Now to hit the sack 5 hours late.
--
Eldrick Tobin

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

Odd thing is I think I've been testing in too small amounts. Sometimes a given chitin method is like an unstoppable tank and then the next test -if I feel they could handle another- fells the previous champion without trying. And other odd permutations.

Creatures are generated with random atributes, which can make quite a large difference. Which is why I usualy test in batched of at least 20, usualy 40. You learn to do C, enter, C, etc. pretty quickly eventualy  ::)

Downloaded the DFFD file, its in quite a messy state right now. Lots of .nfo and .text files for some strange reason... does the game even parse those? Well guess it must. Ill give it a test run later on.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Downloaded the DFFD file, its in quite a messy state right now. Lots of .nfo and .text files for some strange reason... does the game even parse those? Well guess it must. Ill give it a test run later on.

It doesn't touch nfo files or .text or .old which are only there for 'studies on the evolution of the raws'

I completely forgot to make the README.NFO more prevalent -.-; it says which files are what. Feel free to zap the extraneous files. I'm regularly the guy who never shows his work... unless it comes to modding where I can't stop leaving my notes around on the off chance someone finds them useful.

Happy testing. I'm about to gawk at legends viewer at the moment myself.

So far I'm fairly happy in my testing. Except for the following that I'm sure people groaned/laughed over and fixed for themselves... or went entirely surface fortress @.@

Tag faux pas:
can learn, but not also can speak (or intelligent instead of both);
didn't allow equipment -but i expected that one so not quite missed;
forgot to appropriate grasping body parts... not a problem on the unicorpions... @.@ didn't fig the pincers would even count anyway;
ephermeral... allowing individuals to go on adventure mode adventures (which are not my cup of tea so didn't even think about it)
also left no eat and no drink on... :/

Going to put up .65 soon with the following fixes:
Moved all evolutionary notes,etc into a raw/notes folder
Moved all raws into raw/objects
Left README.NFO alone. Updated file locations within.
CAN_LEARN replaced with INTELLIGENT in the cv's
Added EQUIPS under INTELLIGENT in the cv's
Added SPIDER-GRASP body allowing grasping with first 2 limbs. Haven't gone so far as 'web points' or mouth mods.
INDIV_CONTROLLABLE tag added to entity.

In any event these tag errors make me realize that that we HAD an emissary fluttershy (of the imposing glare) at all is amazing. Because civs will travel 'great' distances to go to war, and they were so prosperous and yet nothing came for them in the night.

Nobody messes with the Unofficial Fluttershy.

So not dead just waiting. As DF draws people away from other things other things drew me away from DF -and trying to fix anything for MixMod kinda scarred me away.

So without any further adu:

Chocolate Rain (this is a reeeeeeeeealy bad idea. trust me)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm about to test. Just thought I'd toss the insanity of it out there. Even if it doesn't work. Heck. Maybe more to the point if it doesn't.

Whoosh I go.

Chocolate SNOW anyway, and creeping clouds of Chocolate.

Dwarf_Fortress/Chocolate_Snow (originally just evidence of the snow... no current links)

5 Billion Years later update... 34.11 has been a go for a few months now, but the thread getting bumped would be a year later (and change) necro so ... "modify post" instead.

I've removed all "silly weather" as some will either annoy -or do something nasty that you didn't expect it would. Rain is basically harmless, creeping gas can set your map on fire. (Chocolate Derived items happen far too often and in areas they shouldn't... even when editted.)

Mentioned in the other thread [ADOPTS_OWNER] messes with "trade agreements"/"meet the diplomats" and trade in general due to hunting for owners. (Literally Any Pause. Yikes.)

All kinds of things have been tested, and a few new things are now up... like fire lizards, and the horribly wrong "pedoness" creature -and civ- as a test of "Unique Demons" starting a civilization by baby snatching and spouse conversion. So far they've obeyed the pop_ratio numbers kinda... more testing is needed.

Happy Testing. (Ugh: Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:56:30 pm by Eldrick Tobin)

Updated a Few links... Awaiting next DF version. A Little spam about the github page. Where you ask? Here. Tumblr spam in sig.
(And almost another year later -.-; Then: Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:31:56 pm by Eldrick Tobin Now: January 9, 2014)

I've resisted the Urge to make Red Velvet Mites. They'd probably just get owned even if huge. Heralds of the End Times currently can't scratch Ancient Vampires from their mod so  :'(

Otherwise DIRECT MLA content updates haven't really happened, mostly been more AL side of the street with one off things not whole grand creature variented civilizations. I guess that's the MLA/AL difference. AL stuff is a civ here and civ there a species without a home here and there. MLA stuff is the big huge undertakings.

That they're all on the same map is just gravy. Anyhoo updated Raws over this way... https://github.com/EldrickWT/My-Crazy-Dwarf-Fortress-Mods/tree/master/raw.40.06/objects

Split Mods eventually. Not today.

Updated everything -split out mods too- to 0.40.24 even have a new pregen world here:
EldrickWT's Crazy Dwarf Fortress and Mods - 40.24

And as always cherry picking happens here.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:14:12 pm by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin
Pages: 1 [2]