Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Lone Outpost-DF Community Game -CLOSED LOOK FOR OTHER THREAD-  (Read 8621 times)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First of all before we start I would like to say that this is my first lets play/community DF game that I have ever done, ever.

BACKSTORY
The Dwarven civilization is failing, many new expeditions from the Mountianhomes have failed, due to the dwarves digging greedily and far too deep than they should of, or an abundance of goblins raiding the individual expedition outposts for plunder.A single dwarf, only known as "Conuis" has been asked by the royal king, due to having great leadership abilities aswell as fighting skills to lead an expedition into the lands and found a new outpost so the dwarven civilization may live a greater number of years from now and flourish. Conuis and 6 other dwarves must venture out into a freshwater swamp and make the outpost under heavy cirumstances.

Before we start worrying about what dwarves and skills to choose, we must find a proper area to send the expedition. Does anybody have any specific idea place we should goto? Such as a glacier with a volcano, jungle, desert etc, you name it! [just include proper details such as river or not, volcano or not, etc[DONE]
World name: Sil Kodor
Embark Site

DWARVES: Gone, an error deleted them.

Take your pick! 1 more left!
Taken Dwarves:
Basque 5 farming 1 herbalist (you okay with that?) 3 brewing 1 butcher
Fenix 5 mining 2 masonry 1 stonecrafter 1 woodburner 1 mechanic
Carp 5 mining 5 building designer "foreman"

Open Dwarves (skills chosen so we can get this started faster!)
Minkot Ralmogshum
5 farming
3 cooking
2 apraising
Reh Dishmabtomen
5 Woodcutting
5 Carpentry
Urvad Bimsashas -TAKEN-
1 furnace operator
1 wood burner
3 weaponsmith
2 armorsmith
2 metalsmith
1 metalcrafting
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:35:58 pm by Carcanken »

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Lone Outpost-DF Community Game
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:38:30 pm »

Reserved if ever needed

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:46:00 pm »

Nice short paragraph introduction Carcanken. However it would be nice to know more about what you intend this thread for; when you say let's play/community game are you talking about playing a game with a story and community named characters or posting the save and passing off the game every so often, etc?

I only started playing Dwarf Fortress this past weekend but the community has been great in helping me out with it. Since this is your first lets play/community game I figure it could be the first one I participate in too!

However, I do think by letting people choose your embark you're asking for something evil. :P I don't want to just send you to a glacier or a desert though. I don't know if I'm going to do this right (please bear with me, it is my first time) but here's my suggestions for embark, in order of importance.

1. As many biomes as possible (at least 3) with above normal savagery. I think it will be a more interesting game to have a wide variety of creatures out and about, and although the savagery doesn't need to be cranked all the way up more would make it exciting.
2. A Volcano and a source of water (aquifer, river, ocean). Especially if there's going to be any kind of mega projects having the access to magma and water will be important. It could also be Fun.
3.Jungle if possible. I've read about people doing both deserts and glaciers, I'd like to get some jungle in there for the giant lions, tigers and...what, no giant bears? Where are the Giant Bears Toady?!

Of course if other people have suggestions go with whatever you like, but if you could combine some ideas that would be cool too.

Thanks for doing one of these, I'm really excited to be involved with my first one. Best of luck with it! :)

Editing in another suggestion: being cold enough to freeze water would make the varying seasons have more impact, so that would be nice too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:49:05 pm by Basque »

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:51:29 pm »

Well I was told earlier, that community game for DF is along the lines of "posting screens and stories and dwarfing people without taking turns"
I'll start looking for a volcano/river/brook combination, since I have no skill at all with saltwater or aquifers.

EDIT:
World is genning now.
2000 rejected? this is gonna take awhile
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:55:22 pm by Carcanken »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:00:12 pm »

If it's over like...500, then it's not worth continuing. It will eventually just say there's some sort of error.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 11:00:56 pm »

Yeah, I saw that, im regenning now, about to update the main post on the embark site and open dwarves

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:09:16 pm by Carcanken »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:09:14 pm »

Carcanken, I've never been good with screenshots either, but I know if I hit Print Screen in Windows XP it copies the image to the Clipboard, and then you can paste it in a image program like Paint or such.

I'm glad to see this going on. I hope everything goes well! ^^

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:16:01 pm »

Carcanken, I've never been good with screenshots either, but I know if I hit Print Screen in Windows XP it copies the image to the Clipboard, and then you can paste it in a image program like Paint or such.

I'm glad to see this going on. I hope everything goes well! ^^

Its working well but im not sure how to get it so the only picture its showing is the one i currently have opened and not my entire desktop.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 11:22:40 pm »

What image program are you using? You should be able to crop the image so that only the area you want appears. If you're in MS Paint the corners of the image should have blue square dots you can use to crop the image (if you don't see them it might be because the paste is still selected, try clicking off in empty space to deselect it, your shouldn't see the flashing dotted outline).

Since we are talking about screenshots and such I assume the world generation worked? I'm looking forward to seeing what we have for an embark point! :)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:32:53 pm »

What image program are you using? You should be able to crop the image so that only the area you want appears. If you're in MS Paint the corners of the image should have blue square dots you can use to crop the image (if you don't see them it might be because the paste is still selected, try clicking off in empty space to deselect it, your shouldn't see the flashing dotted outline).

Since we are talking about screenshots and such I assume the world generation worked? I'm looking forward to seeing what we have for an embark point! :)
Im using Jasc Paint shop pro, and oddly, my computer didnt come with MS PAINT so I cant try that unfortuantly.
EDIT:GOT IT.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:36:35 pm by Carcanken »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:49:39 pm »

Alright awesome! Glad you got it working Carcanken! The screenshot is big enough to require a scroll bar in Firefox at my settings but that's actually fine with me, it means I can read all the text. XD As far as the embark goes the only problem I have is that it only has two biomes. Could you use umkh to move the local area around to see if you could find a third and preferably a fourth? If you can't find any then that's okay, unless anyone else has something to say go for the embark man! ^^

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:57:41 pm »

Main post updated, post what dwarf you want and what skills, but we need the following:
2 miners, one with building design and masonry
2 farmers 1 brewer other herbalist
1 woodcutter
at the least

(logging for the night will start the game once most of the dwarves get dwarfed and people list the skills they want)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:26:17 am by Carcanken »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Lone Outpost-DF Community Game -CHOOSE YOUR DWARF!-
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 12:42:23 am »

I'll call Shem Unallikot as the lone wolf, pessimistic Farmer/Brewer! He's pessimistic because his brewing skills aren't great, and a lone wolf because he spends all his time in the fields. In other words I don't know how many skill points we're allotted but if you can't pump farming and brewing as high as it lets you go for farming over brewing.

Also, I hate spiders and like chickens (if anyone's familiar with "Ed, Edd and Eddy" my dwarf is Ed :P)! I demand chickens be brought with us on embark, and that all spiders will be killed by cats on sight! So that would be at least a breeding pair of both, if you're taking audience input on embarking. More chickens if you want, you can never have too many chickens. Chickens!

Plus I like wipe vines too, and they make a fine drink! Our Herbalist should go gather whip vines at every opportunity if they're around, and I'll give him the first drink on the house if he does!

Edit: By the way, it looks like you posted his screenshot twice and left out someone else.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:59:29 am by Basque »

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 01:04:06 am »

Just woke up for a minute, you have 10 skill points specifically.
Thanks guys!
Also fixed the duped dwarf problem, sorry about that! I also noticed one dwarf was cropped wrong, ill fix that in the morning

Alright everything should be fixed, ill start the game soon
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:21:23 am by Carcanken »

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 03:08:22 am »

I'll take Solon Olonniral renamed as Fenix. Give him five in mining and the rest in whatever you want.
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.
Pages: [1] 2 3