Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49

Author Topic: The Binding of Isaac: Repentence. "NO STOP, HE'S ALREADY DEAD!"  (Read 126861 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Rise once more because I SUCK AT SEARCH-FU!

With my own little update:
Some people were curious as if any items from the original game were being removed - everything is still there, but some of them were shifted around between item types.

For instance, Wiggle Worm is now a trinket instead of a passive item. In fact, it's one of the 4-6 worm-type trinkets which affect the way your tears move (two confirmed Worms are the good old Wiggle Worm and Ring Worm, which makes them spiral around.)
Another example that may make a lot of people happy is that Polaroid is now a passive item, so if you wanted to get to the Chest with two actual trinkets then there you go. Other items are getting a visual redesign - Max's Head will now be Cricket's Head instead (Cricket being one of Edmund's cats). Nothing is getting removed completely, at best they're being moved. And that to me seems like a good thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Another cool new-old feature is the map redesign - it's now way smaller but with the help of the new map key you can zoom it out to show the full size and holding the map button down will make it fully opaque. (And the minimap toggle can be turned off)
But that's not all. If you hold down the map button for ~5 seconds you will drop all your pills, trinkets and cards (except for the Tick, that is). I reckon someone is gonna find that useful.
Another really amazing item (that I myself am looking forward to) exclusive to shops is the Jar, which is essentially a container for 4 extra red hearts that you can stuff into it when you're at maximum red health (or have no red heart containers at all...but then why would you carry that jar to begin with)
Someone out there is gonna exploit it in so many ways I feel...I'm not one of them. :V
Moving on - fully rebindable keys on PC and the consoles. Pretty neat stuff.

Another big feature are the seeds/seeded runs - they were there before but now before you start a run you can press Enter to input a seed, and according to the two GAEMPLAI VIDYAS below, certain seeds have very...interesting effects. (and of course, they are gameplay videos, c'mon...60FPS, too.)
The game is shaping up really nicely even on those toaster-quality videos.

(Yet) another store exclusive item is the Starter Deck (which from my poor knowledge) appears to be a Magic The Gathering reference, since Ed seems to be a big fan of MtG. It will allow you to hold two cards at a time, but will change ALL pills you run into into cards (random drops, spacebar item drops, even Mom's Coin Purse will yield 4 cards). You can use the map button to change between your cards.

On top of that the map button will also show you the (rough) description of your card as well as the total game time. So it's more of a multipurpose button than anything.
Speaking of item descriptions, according to Ed they will be LESS cryptic in Rebirth, but will still remain a mystery (like the Joker card's description is just a ???, and the Strength card's flavor text is not exactly simple either).

Last but not least, a main menu gif.
Next week we may be finally getting a full-on 60FPS high-quality video since the gifs don't seem to be cutting it anymore...And by next week I mean today.

So yeah, pretty bump-worthy bump, I feel.
(Also there was this peculiar-looking video...)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:52:06 pm by DarkDXZ »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The jar seems pretty good, abet basic. It basically increase your max (although not current) hp by four hearts? I could see me taking it with me if I didn't get anything better.

(Also the Polaroid is pretty legit yo.)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Also I've noticed (after reading the comments under the video), this thing in the fart snds seed video:

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Really just the prospect of playing BoI with the performance issues fixed is enough to get me excited.  That and co-op.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Sounds relevant enough for me to post it here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Not exactly clear, since they put out like three trailers before each release :P

Also, fuck TF2 item tie ins ><
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Not exactly clear, since they put out like three trailers before each release :P

Also, fuck TF2 item tie ins ><

I can't see anything wrong coming out of TF2 tie-ins, but I might be biased due to being an avid TF2 player, or at least I used to.
And when they say "release trailer", I'm thinking about one that has gameplay in it, and well, the release date.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Okay, so this is it, people.

First, a new enemy! An early-game version of the Womb parabites, Round Worms behave in a similar way, but they don't move.

Now what is REALLY interesting from today's update is the PROPER 30FPS GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE!
I'm just gonna leave this here.

Highlights of the gameplay:

If you were hyped before, now is the time to be really hyped. If not, well, I can't change it, I guess.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I guess I gota say that the graphics are a lot better looking then last time I paid attention to this game. Back when screen shots and gifs were coming out 'showing the original vision' or whatever. Sorta like a halfway point between that and the original graphics. It's not terrible anymore, although I still like the first games graphics better, it at least seems like it won't just constantly make me want to cry my own eyes out. So I am pretty pumped for the game now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I guess I gota say that the graphics are a lot better looking then last time I paid attention to this game. Back when screen shots and gifs were coming out 'showing the original vision' or whatever. Sorta like a halfway point between that and the original graphics. It's not terrible anymore, although I still like the first games graphics better, it at least seems like it won't just constantly make me want to cry my own eyes out. So I am pretty pumped for the game now.

I guess I'm taking a different read on it. With all the new lighting, better animations and redrawn graphics, I figure it'll do more to you of whatever the original did. And might even manage to get vaguely spooky at some points. I was worried the game would lose some of its charm in being redrawn, but it looks like they've tried to stay pretty faithful to the original look, which McMillen said was all done in one pass. Like, literally, Isaac's head was a free hand circle drawn once. I like the art, but I don't think I'll particularly miss it being lopsided.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:56:49 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Also Tyrone posted a picture of Isaac on Vita with two Mega Mushrooms (in what looks to be Sheol) at 60FPS. (I'm kinda lazy by just relaying the most interesting Reddit posts over here but hey, if someone already found it then why not.)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On that note, here's 1:47 of beta gameplay footage, just linked today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2eSyaZq2c

Doesn't look all that good IMO, lots of jaggies there. But I guess that's what you get for picking a resolution for both PCs and handhelds to share. Also I find the light shafts kind of distracting.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:52:06 am by nenjin »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Co-op gameplay with Edmund and Danielle's commentary.
Spoiler: Synopsis/analysis (click to show/hide)
So yeah
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:20:18 am by DarkDXZ »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

Iron Bar (tears do concussive damage...whatever that may mean)
He said it makes them confused, which looks like it makes the enemies walk around randomly rather than coming at you.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49