Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid questions...?  (Read 1575 times)

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Stupid questions...?
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:00:32 am »

I'm not sure if this information is documented anywhere, and I'm hoping you awesome people can splain it to me.

I embarked on a map with a TALL ridge down the center of the site, and am in the process of carving most of the ridge away to make my fortress.  The last fortress that I tried this with, I mostly let the rocks lie where they were mined, and made a very basic dorm/hospital/dining room/farm setup to keep the dorfs in the mood to work, and a simple crafting industry to use up the waste shells and buy booze. And after two years, I had a population of less than 20.

In the current fortress, to date, I've produced almost NOTHING but an apartment for my bookkeeper/broker and a pile of turtle-shell crafts to trade for booze.  And PILES and piles and piles of rocks.  There's no dining room, no hospital, not even (yet) a functioning well.  And yet, I get a 8-10 migrants every season.  It's autumn of year 2, the river just froze over, I'm up to 45-something dorfs who have decimated my booze and food supplies, and this fortress WILL starve and/or thirst to death before spring.  The only difference I can think of is, when I was excavating the cistern for the proposed well, I had to run a lengthy aqueduct, and I ended up marking all the rock from the plumbing to be dumped (I hate for it to end up in the water, inaccessible).  The garbage zone is inside the fortress, and my question is this:  By moving the rock, did I somehow claim it as a 'product' of my fortress?  If I set my garbage zone on an outside tile, would it NOT claim the garbage on my tax return?  Why am I awash in glassblowers and potash makers when my entire fortress literally consists of 6 11x 11 rooms??

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid questions...?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:59:17 am »

It could be to do with the trading. From what I remember exported items don't count as anything and imports count against your total wealth.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:29 am »

Your first fortress may have been in a world where the dwarven civilizations had died out.  After the first year, you won't get any more immigration waves, which will leave you with a population of about 20.

The rock you mine out will be marked as produced locally whether or not you move it, bit it doesn't add much to your local wealth.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:21:27 am »

d-b-H to hide all excess stone

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:28 am »

45 dwarves after 2 years is normal, you need to increase food & alcohol production and plan ahead for the inevitable migrant waves. :)

If you wish to change your population cap, you may edit your d_init file. The default is 200 I believe.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:52 pm »

I *think* I may have figured out what's going on..  in the first fortress I was using HUGE quantities of stone to construct things, in the second I was just letting it pile up.  Stone itself has a value, stone blocks have a value, but I haven't found any value for an unassigned wall or floor.   Raw stone only is worth about 3dorfbux, if I remember right, but when you multiply that by 100,000 units, it does add up.  It seems like un-owned construction (i.e. not designated as part of a room) doesn't add any value, or adds only a really tiny amount to overall fortress value.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:10 pm »

I *think* I may have figured out what's going on..  in the first fortress I was using HUGE quantities of stone to construct things, in the second I was just letting it pile up.  Stone itself has a value, stone blocks have a value, but I haven't found any value for an unassigned wall or floor.   Raw stone only is worth about 3dorfbux, if I remember right, but when you multiply that by 100,000 units, it does add up.  It seems like un-owned construction (i.e. not designated as part of a room) doesn't add any value, or adds only a really tiny amount to overall fortress value.

They do add value to the fortress. They don't add a lot if they aren't engraved/smoothed, but they still add quite a bit more than regular stone. The ones I made out of the lowest value stone (3) had a value of 17.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.