Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 59

Author Topic: Fortbent: Homestuck mod (v3.1.0) (0.44.05)  (Read 174839 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Fortbent: Homestuck mod (v3.1.0) (0.44.05)
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:22:57 am »

Spoiler: Large images (click to show/hide)

This mod adds a variety of features inspired by and derived directly with little deviation from the infamously-long webcomic Homestuck. The main race featured is the Troll race, a race of aggressive gray-skinned candy-corn-horned insect-like humanoid creatures. Also, they require ectobiology to reproduce.

Of course, you play as them in dwarf mode.

Other creatures:

Spoiler: creatures (click to show/hide)

Grist is one new feature. Grist is gained from daily gristtorrent additions (based on number of historical figures in civilization) and killing critters. Grist can be used to make almost every item in the game, using nearly every material.

All trolls have special abilities from an aspect given to them by the game. The trolls also have have 12 standard castes, along with 2 special ones.

Spoiler: Copyleft status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:17:12 am by Putnam »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What should I call this mod?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:25:18 am »

Fortbent?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: What should I call this mod?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:25:29 am »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortbent: The trolls of MSPA.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:54:28 am »

Do you plan to add caste blood based workshops, or entity positions (monarch, general, etc.)?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Veld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:54:01 am »

I was having trouble figuring out what each troll's blood was coloured, but then noticed that it's the same as eye colour when I was looking through the Raws. However, Dark Green bloods don't have their eye colour stated in their descriptions, unlike the other trolls. Candy red bloods have amber eyes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:52:33 am by Veld »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:08:54 am »

Issues in the detail plans:

- You create a mat and a tissue called R_FROND, then make a functionally identical one called L_FROND
- You don't use the abovementioned mats or tissues at all, instead opting for the use of LUNG in the frond parts
- You reference L_FROND twice in the tissue layers plan
- The THINKPAN:BRAIN_TEMPLATE lines are redundant
- Having said that, you could just cut the entire mat/tissue plans down to the frond mats + chitin since otherwise they're identical to the default humanoid one. Not like it's a big deal. You could do the same thing with the tissue layers plan, or make it even simpler and get rid of it altogether by making the fronds use a default category (LUNG + an additional skin layer defined within the creature would work the way you've got it set up now. I think Aqizzar used EAR).

Possible issues in the body entries:

- The think pan could just be a bodygloss for a regular brain
- NECK_GILLS is completely redundant and not used anywhere
- What's the deal with the complete bodies? The first looks entirely identical to the default HUMANOID, and the second doesn't need to exist at all so long as fronds are individual parts

Nitpicking aside, this looks decent, at least at a glance.

If you can't find what you want when it comes to horn appearances in the defaults (wide/close? thick/thin? long/short? convex/concave? high/low? straight/curly?) you can make your own ad-hoc ones via colours, but be aware that said colours are colours and they'll be picked out in preferences/used in forgotten beasts/whatever.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:23:50 am by 3 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 12:30:25 pm »

Issues in the detail plans:

- You create a mat and a tissue called R_FROND, then make a functionally identical one called L_FROND
- You don't use the abovementioned mats or tissues at all, instead opting for the use of LUNG in the frond parts
- You reference L_FROND twice in the tissue layers plan
- The THINKPAN:BRAIN_TEMPLATE lines are redundant
- Having said that, you could just cut the entire mat/tissue plans down to the frond mats + chitin since otherwise they're identical to the default humanoid one. Not like it's a big deal. You could do the same thing with the tissue layers plan, or make it even simpler and get rid of it altogether by making the fronds use a default category (LUNG + an additional skin layer defined within the creature would work the way you've got it set up now. I think Aqizzar used EAR).

Possible issues in the body entries:

- The think pan could just be a bodygloss for a regular brain
- NECK_GILLS is completely redundant and not used anywhere
- What's the deal with the complete bodies? The first looks entirely identical to the default HUMANOID, and the second doesn't need to exist at all so long as fronds are individual parts

Nitpicking aside, this looks decent, at least at a glance.

If you can't find what you want when it comes to horn appearances in the defaults (wide/close? thick/thin? long/short? convex/concave? high/low? straight/curly?) you can make your own ad-hoc ones via colours, but be aware that said colours are colours and they'll be picked out in preferences/used in forgotten beasts/whatever.

Honestly, most of those are narhiril's things mixed with my own general incompetence (the raws were an absolute mess, I wasn't aware of body gloss, I can go on about how much I didn't know, this was my first creature). The default horn appearences sound good, I'm not good with tissue layer appearances, despite looks. The complete bodies, I think, are due to all the casteing that had to be done, as well as the quirky bodyparts (like I said, I wasn't aware of body gloss), as well as narhiril coming up with a way to not make the game crash every time you would {l}oo(k) at a troll.

I was having trouble figuring out what each troll's blood was coloured, but then noticed that it's the same as eye colour when I was looking through the Raws. However, Dark Green bloods don't have their eye colour stated in their descriptions, unlike the other trolls. Candy red bloods have amber eyes.

Both problems should be fixed. Dark Green bloods not having correct eye color was due to a typo. Not sure what the mutant blooded eyes were about, but amber is the default color of Troll eyes; they're born with amber eyes, and they fill out with blood color as they get older. Next version, 0.3, will probably involve fleshing out caste differences far more.

Do you plan to add caste blood based workshops, or entity positions (monarch, general, etc.)?
If you look at the raws, there is a framework for caste-based entity position already included; however, the damn thing only works in fortress mode and not world gen. Basically, if it worked, you'd only get tyrian purple-blooded trolls in imperial positions; also, you'd probably have subjugglator nobles that are only filled by indigo trolls.

Caste blood based workshops are for later. I'm pretty sure they won't be too hard; LFR has shown the whole "using boiling rock as gas" thing, so I could make that a result of reactions in these workshops, giving the troll something incapacitating.

The problem is that actually allowing caste-only workshops seems like it would require micromanagement in the workshop profile, along with simply disallowing certain castes to work without injury. I already have a creature class for the royal purple types and indigo highblood types, but nothing else.

Veld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 06:24:52 pm »

I figured out what was wrong with the Mutant eyes. You had
Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS:EYE:RED]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
[TLCM_TIMING:IRIS:13:18]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:5000]

It should have been
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS:EYE:RED:1]

(I hope I'm using "code" right.)

In the troll entity file, you mentioned wanting a diplomat name. I think Diplomarauder might work.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:27:12 pm by Veld »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 04:52:19 pm »

I figured out what was wrong with the Mutant eyes. You had
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS:EYE:RED]

It should have been
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS:EYE:RED:1]

(I hope I'm using "code" right.)

In the troll entity file, you mentioned wanting a diplomat name. I think Diplomarauder might work.

I like that!

EDIT: Well, that's bothersome. The first empress I ever seen is low-blooded: maroon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:35:19 pm by Putnam »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Fortbent: The trolls of MSPA. (31.25)
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:34:45 pm »

Yeesh, didn't mean for this to be a double post.

Veld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 07:39:18 pm »

I see there are a few caste differences now. I wonder if it would be possible to represent psychic powers. I remember there was a way the represent psychically picking things up using some sort of quick-healing body parts made of some kind of vapour or something similar to that. If I can figure out how it was done, or find where I heard it, you could probably give something like that to the low bloods.

I noticed a while ago that Subjugglators (Indigo blooded Land Dwellers) have an extremely low pop ratio. I'm just wondering why. Was it said in the story that indigo blood is rare? I only remember candy-red like Karkat, jade-green like Kanaya, and the pinkish-violet blood like Feferi and HIC being extremely rare.

I'd help with the horn appearance modifiers, but I don't know how to make or use them. I'm trying to figure it out, though. Or are you just asking for the words to use for them? I can think of a few.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:46:05 pm by Veld »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 07:55:04 pm »

I see there are a few caste differences now. I wonder if it would be possible to represent psychic powers. I remember there was a way the represent psychically picking things up using some sort of quick-healing body parts made of some kind of vapour or something similar to that. If I can figure out how it was done, or find where I heard it, you could probably give something like that to the low bloods.

I noticed a while ago that Subjugglators (Indigo blooded Land Dwellers) have an extremely low pop ratio. I'm just wondering why. Was it said in the story that indigo blood is rare? I only remember candy-red like Karkat, jade-green like Kanaya, and the pinkish-violet blood like Feferi and HIC being extremely rare.

I'd help with the horn appearance modifiers, but I don't know how to make or use them. I'm trying to figure it out, though. Or are you just asking for the words to use for them? I can think of a few.

When it comes to indigo rarity, it wasn't directly said, but the title "grand highblood" given to Gamzee's ancestor seems to suggest incredible rarity. Psychic powers would be nice, but it would require me to make more castes :P (red_psychic, brown_psychic, etc.)

Horn appearance modifiers... I figure they're the same, but I'm not sure if they're BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER or TL_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER.

Veld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 08:07:58 pm »

When it comes to indigo rarity, it wasn't directly said, but the title "grand highblood" given to Gamzee's ancestor seems to suggest incredible rarity.
I assumed that it meant that he was just the leader of the Indigo bloods. I don't think Hussie ever went into detail about that. Anyway, just for balance in-game, because of their Building destroyer tag, high strength, and rage, it's probably better for them to be rare.

Psychic powers would be nice, but it would require me to make more castes :P (red_psychic, brown_psychic, etc.)

I can't even remember where what I was talking about was said, and I'm terrible at modding, so I'd be unable to help even if you were to add psychics.

For horns, I think whatever is used for bones would probably be used. Horns in Vanilla DF use BP, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:26:18 pm by Veld »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 08:39:27 pm »

When it comes to indigo rarity, it wasn't directly said, but the title "grand highblood" given to Gamzee's ancestor seems to suggest incredible rarity.
I assumed that it meant that he was just the leader of the Indigo bloods. I don't think Hussie ever went into detail about that. Anyway, just for balance in-game, because of their Building destroyer tag, high strength, and rage, it's probably better for them to be rare.

Psychic powers would be nice, but it would require me to make more castes :P (red_psychic, brown_psychic, etc.)

I can't even remember where what I was talking about was said, and I'm terrible at modding, so I'd be unable to help even if you were to add psychics.

For horns, I think whatever is used for bones would probably be used. Horns in Vanilla DF use BP, as far as I can tell.

Well, in my quest for horn appearance modifiers, I just realized that I forgot to add horns to their body. >_>

Will the horn color ever show up in-game? The template says "gray", but will I ever see that?

EDIT: Welp. Looks like it's time to get my mOtHeRfUcKiNg BoDy GlOsS oN

Also, I wonder how many updates there will be to this mod based entirely off of new info about trolls?

EDIT 2: How do I body gloss? :X Also, what are the names in the raws for the fighting and archery skills?

EDIT 3: Interesting. Trolls tend to go to war with elves. I like that!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:43:32 am by Putnam »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 06:02:36 am »

You know, I think you should make a REALLY rare mothergrub caste that lays eggs.
Those eggs won't really hatch unless the mothergrub is married though.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 59