Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 59

Author Topic: Fortbent: Homestuck mod (v3.1.0) (0.44.05)  (Read 174791 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Fortbent: The trolls of MSPA. (31.25)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:52:24 am »

You know, I think you should make a REALLY rare mothergrub caste that lays eggs.
Those eggs won't really hatch unless the mothergrub is married though.

See? That's the problem! It is simply FAR too difficult to do this because:

1. I'll need to predict the amount of average mother grubs in one hive, since I can't limit it to one, for the clutch size.
2. Trolls already seem to breed like crazy for some reason; I had 16 wigglers n' younguns in my first test hive (which was only to test the wigglers, really, so success I guess)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »

Bump for major release:

0.8 is out. In it, trolls are fully playable. Workshops that only work on certain trolls to come.

Veld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 06:18:40 pm »

I just stated a troll fort. So, trolls need the honk birds to get metals and stone? I'm sure that will cause a very different playing style. I think building everything aboveground is a nice change, though. I'll just need to remember to gen worlds with more above-ground z-levels.

How good are the four metals, compared to the vanilla metals? And is armormetal supposed to be so cheap? On embark, it's only 10 points.

You don't need to remove the civ_controllable tag from dwarves to play as trolls. While embarking, if you go to the "Your Civilization" screen, you can switch between Dwarven and Trollian civs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:55 pm »

I just stated a troll fort. So, trolls need the honk birds to get metals and stone? I'm sure that will cause a very different playing style. I think building everything aboveground is a nice change, though. I'll just need to remember to gen worlds with more above-ground z-levels.

How good are the four metals, compared to the vanilla metals? And is armormetal supposed to be so cheap? On embark, it's only 10 points.

You don't need to remove the civ_controllable tag from dwarves to play as trolls. While embarking, if you go to the "Your Civilization" screen, you can switch between Dwarven and Trollian civs.

About that last part: I know, I just think the honk-birds are a bit OP if you can also mine, considering the effectiveness of the metals.

And that brings us to the second part.

Sharpmetal is a bit better than steel in sharpness.
Heavymetal is equal to silver.
Shinymetal is basically purple gold.
Armormetal is as good as steel when used as armor.

This basically makes the metals the most effective in their given category (other than bluemetal) available. However, they are extremely time-consuming to make (or FPS consuming, if you want a huge amount of honk-birds).

I'm going to include balance changes after feedback. No, armormetal should not be that cheap. I'll fix that. Also, I should make a "cheapmetal": equal to copper, but you can make pretty much anything with it. Mainly for embark purposes, of course. After all, you don't really want your starting axes costing 1260 embark points each.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 11:24:07 pm »

Are you planning on adding Alternian wildlife, like musclebeasts?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 12:04:35 am »

Are you planning on adding Alternian wildlife, like musclebeasts?

OF COURSE!

But later. I have other stuff to do.

If someone else is willing to do it while I'm not around, and I think I can trust them, I'll give them access to the dev files.

EDIT: Another major update. Thanks to DFlang and the old norsemen!

[T_WORD:CACKLE:gamzee]
[T_WORD:DEMON:vriska]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:40:32 pm by Putnam »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 04:24:55 am »

Bump (sorry!) for another major update.

Added a whole bunch of crap. All crap added is notably inorganic!

Veld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 03:01:30 am »

At first, I wasn't sure what the readme meant about the brown bloods being the only trolls able to dig; in the world I genned, everyone could dig. I found out that I had accidentally added the vanilla layer stones when I was adding a few other mods I use. Whoops. Anyway, I fixed that, and it's all working fine now.

I find it hilarious that brown bloods are the only trolls immune to a stone with "Vriska" in it's name. I also find it funny that Vriska means Demon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 04:36:26 am »

At first, I wasn't sure what the readme meant about the brown bloods being the only trolls able to dig; in the world I genned, everyone could dig. I found out that I had accidentally added the vanilla layer stones when I was adding a few other mods I use. Whoops. Anyway, I fixed that, and it's all working fine now.

I find it hilarious that brown bloods are the only trolls immune to a stone with "Vriska" in it's name. I also find it funny that Vriska means Demon.

I find both of them hilarious. Neither are my fault :P

I mean, the former is a coincidence, and the latter is a lucky result from DFLang.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 08:10:32 pm »

I'm gonna bump this, since I just found out about it, and I've been "working" on the same thing, though I haven't done anything in a couple months, since I haven't been that interested in DF at all for awhile.  Probably because of anticipation for interactions wearing out my patience for the current version and ideas filling my head about curses and mother grubs.  I'm definitely gonna use a lot of what you have, though it means I'll probably never publish a full MSPA mod myself.

The files I have are modded from Aqizzar's(who is the creator of the version you were probably referencing in your first post).  And I wanted to discuss some concepts you have, from looking at your raws.  First, I really like how you did your caste differences.  I don't think mine is quite as well thought out.  I do think that you should have jade a bit more common(though rare, I'm sure there have been more than twice as many jade bloods as red bloods, since troll society actually knows where they belong).  I have them set to be as common as the highest purple, though they're both too common in mine right now.  Also, I set up kind of a weird age ratio thing, that has lowbloods living significantly shorter lives than their highblood breathren, to counteract the increased numbers, and because it's pretty canonical.  Maroons live to at most 60, while Fuchsia can live as long as 500 years. 

Oh, one thing I really wanted to ask was why you don't want them mining, when they're supposed to spawn underground?

On royalty, yeah, you did a lot better than me here too, though I think you should have included Slam Poets as a sort of broker/diplomat hybrid.  And I still think that subbjugglator should be a rank, since I don't know if it was ever said that it has to be a specific blood color, even if most people view it as such.  But that's a matter of opinion.

I think that's all I've got for now.  Gonna go contemplate how to add Dragonyyds or something.  Once I actually play it, I might have more opinion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 07:15:48 pm »

First, I really like how you did your caste differences.  I don't think mine is quite as well thought out.  I do think that you should have jade a bit more common(though rare, I'm sure there have been more than twice as many jade bloods as red bloods, since troll society actually knows where they belong).  I have them set to be as common as the highest purple, though they're both too common in mine right now.  Also, I set up kind of a weird age ratio thing, that has lowbloods living significantly shorter lives than their highblood breathren, to counteract the increased numbers, and because it's pretty canonical.  Maroons live to at most 60, while Fuchsia can live as long as 500 years. 

Oh, one thing I really wanted to ask was why you don't want them mining, when they're supposed to spawn underground?

On royalty, yeah, you did a lot better than me here too, though I think you should have included Slam Poets as a sort of broker/diplomat hybrid.  And I still think that subbjugglator should be a rank, since I don't know if it was ever said that it has to be a specific blood color, even if most people view it as such.  But that's a matter of opinion.

I think that's all I've got for now.  Gonna go contemplate how to add Dragonyyds or something.  Once I actually play it, I might have more opinion.
Yeah, I agree with the rarity stuff.

I do want them mining, I just don't want them mining stone. In the full copy in the download, all the stone is replaced with stuff that boils on contact with the air and gives horrible, horrible syndromes.

Can't make subjugglator a rank at this point, really, because it seems like all subjugglators are indigo highbloods; I currently have it the other way around, but that's because the game doesn't respect the [ALLOWED_CLASS:x] tag currently.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:19 pm »

After making that reply I read MSPA, and one of the updates confirmed that yes, in fact, subjugglator apparently refers to that specific blood color.  I guess the high subjugglator has the most indigo blood.

So you want them mining what?  Metal veins?  That'll work for now, since I remember reading about people in corrosion mining parallel veins to work their way down, but didn't I read that the next update will have multilayer veins?  Maybe that's not what you want though, so I don't know.  I'll leave mine as diggy, and just have both of them in the same world.  I should do a bit of fine tuning so that they're always at war, and yours live in the only areas that your chickens live.  Because warring trolls YES.

Interactions make me hopeful for mother grubs as a seperate creature, btw.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 01:30:07 am »

Ooh, that mother grubs being a separate creature is a great idea!

Also, since there was literally no testing with the last update (Due to the wonderful error handling and how used I am now to writing the raws, if I do something wrong, it just won't show up in game :P), so I have to wonder: I put a baby snatcher-type troll civ into all the raws, so that you may have a troll civ that's guaranteed war. However, I'm not sure if they can be in the same world as a relatively peaceful troll civ; I can't test now (I have some stuff), but if I can't, then I'm going to need to copy+paste the troll creature raws, rename them, and rearrange the blood caste pop ratios. I'll make the baby snatcher types (in what I consider highly ironic and pretty stupid, but hey, it's the best I can come up with at the moment) followers of the Signless Sufferer, at least in lore. Consider their random sieges, baby snatchings and ambushes "organized uprising".

...with the occasional clown at the helm. DF clown, not subjugglator :P

Also, I want them mining soil. Trolls diggy diggy hole, so to speak, rather than miney miney mountain.

EDIT: Update. Added musclebeasts for real this time. Castes now have max age differences.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:25:50 am by Putnam »

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 10:09:20 am »

most of the gems don't show up because they ask for specific types of rock that are no longer in the game...the same for element-men and magma crab spit...I've got a quick fix that dumps all the rocks in the metamorphic layer and makes the element-men skin out of onyx and the element-men blood and magma-crab loogies out of feverstone (FUN!)...I can get it to you if you'd like, or you can make it fit your theme better yourself.

there were a few more in the error log...but I don't remember what they were...I patched them out at like 3 in the morning...

OH!  you should give the trolls computers (maybe made from wax and gems? well...one was a beehive...) so they can use Trollian and Pesterchum to build social skills...and maybe make it have a small chance of sending highbloods into a rage.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 04:06:05 pm »

most of the gems don't show up because they ask for specific types of rock that are no longer in the game...the same for element-men and magma crab spit...I've got a quick fix that dumps all the rocks in the metamorphic layer and makes the element-men skin out of onyx and the element-men blood and magma-crab loogies out of feverstone (FUN!)...I can get it to you if you'd like, or you can make it fit your theme better yourself.

there were a few more in the error log...but I don't remember what they were...I patched them out at like 3 in the morning...

OH!  you should give the trolls computers (maybe made from wax and gems? well...one was a beehive...) so they can use Trollian and Pesterchum to build social skills...and maybe make it have a small chance of sending highbloods into a rage.

Oh, shit, I thought I had already fixed up gems to appear in the metamorphic layer!

Also, I like the thought of magma-crab loogies made of feverstone. I'd like that, please. I may replace it later, now that attention is brought to it, but I want this mod to be harder than vanilla, even with instant access to steel/silver-quality weapons and armor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 59