Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 'Insert World Name Here' Universalis: EU3 Low Fantasy Modding Project  (Read 17604 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Fantasia Universalis: EU3 Modding Project
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 09:03:08 am »

I think I have found a more realistic way for the Undead to work if you are really interested.

The Undead Plauge is not something that simply "Happens", but rather requires you to be next to another necro-kingdom. It needs to be next to another undead kingdom to be infected in the first place. At the start of the game, there is one such "Infector" state, the Dark Necroarchy or something, that would take up a very large space on the map. This Necroarchy would have hordes of shitty soldiers, and awful technologic. It would have a hard time expanding if they tried to conquer it all, but it could instead try and infect another country with the Undead, to bring it down to its tech level, therefore allowing to to expand by attacking it. This should be the most convenient way Necroarchies would be able to expand. The "Necro" techgroup would also have a very slow tech advance too, in order to keep the Necroarchies expanding too much. Living kingdoms could combat the spread of Necromancy by crusading Undead states and making them convert back to a Normal Kingdom. However, by declaring and sending your soldiers over, you risk them being infected and carring the "Undead Disease" back to your kingdom. At this point you would pretty much have a big moral choice. Slaughter your innocent and holy crusaders and keep your people safe or let them come home to their familes and risk infecting your kingdom. In fact, the whole "Undead Crusade" and "Undead Civil War" could be riddled with nicely implented and well done moral choices that could make you think. The sgin of a good moral choice is if you really think about your action beyond how they effect your stats.

Necroarchies would be highly aggressive too. They will often spend time fighting eachother and trying to infect living kingdoms. This Undead thing could go far, but I think I should spend less time thinking about how it would work and more time explaining how it happened realisticly.

I think undead are a lot less interesting and important than getting the framework first though, speculating will do little until events can be written and tested. Some of your suggestions are also a far deal away from possible, the way you suggest them. Have you coded in a Paradox game before? One can do quite a few things, but there are also limits.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 09:11:11 am »

I don't see much hard things to do, except for the tech group change. But that can be done in a sort of reverse westernisation. What would happen, however, is that the undead might start weak, but after a few reverse westernised countries were made, your tech would start rising and could match the humans, in which case the necroarchy will win.

Infected crusaders might have to merely cause higher undead revolt risk, or if you execute they might cause higher normal revolt.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 11:52:12 am »

Heres a map of what I think the initial "Normal Human" kingdom map should be like. I know its still very early, but I simply could not help myself :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That gaint Dark Grey Nation to the east is the "Undead Trigger Nation" I was talking about. And I personally think my idea would far easier to mod in then you say it is. Just work off the French Revolution events. Its very much similar to my idea. All you would need to do is change what some of the events say and add in some new ones that only happen if you have the "Undead Civil War" or "Undead Crusade" Tag.

And speaking of Undead Civil Wars, you could mod that in similar to the already implented Civil War events. Not like you can't do that, right?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 03:01:53 am »

Spoiler: Update (click to show/hide)

Here is an updated map, mostly touching asia and africa and having a look at the western continent, again this is mind numbing work for me, I'm a perfectionist among other things and I'm not going to go into details before I have coastlines that I enjoy.

Included is the EU3 worldmap from the MEIOU province map, showing the size and how I've used it for this map idea.

Heres a map of what I think the initial "Normal Human" kingdom map should be like. I know its still very early, but I simply could not help myself :P
That gaint Dark Grey Nation to the east is the "Undead Trigger Nation" I was talking about. And I personally think my idea would far easier to mod in then you say it is. Just work off the French Revolution events. Its very much similar to my idea. All you would need to do is change what some of the events say and add in some new ones that only happen if you have the "Undead Civil War" or "Undead Crusade" Tag.
And speaking of Undead Civil Wars, you could mod that in similar to the already implented Civil War events. Not like you can't do that, right?
The impossible thing would be for soldiers to carry the plague with them, you can't add any sort of modifier to armies like that.

I am also, for the reason of wanting to be able for undead to be both included and not, not interested in a Undead nation from a start scenario.

An original world, with a fresh take on fantasy, undeads are boring and overdone, really. Now again, the modding process needs to be as such for it to be worth the time:
Worldbuilding
Coast lines(map)
River map
Terrain map
Province map
Races
Cultures and Religions

Gamemaking

Nations
Events and Decisions
Graphics of any sorts

And I am of the opinion that Undead and other magical events/elements to be included should be under Events and Decisions

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: 'Insert World Name Here' Universalis: EU3 Low Fantasy Modding Project
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 07:46:12 am »

So we're sticking with mainly humans as our people?

Okay. Let's have a sort of Rome-type people, doing the whole pax romana thing, but with their hold on the world's currency. Perhaps they get several events that improve trade tech, but at the expense of military and naval technology.

Maybe another nation is a loose confederation of bandits. (not familiar with EU3s modding capability, so feel free to tell me how stupid my ideas are if they're not workable) They get access to higher damage troops (representing ambushes), but with low defence and morale. Revolts in nearby nations have a chance of joining the bandits.

Another nation is made up of slave owners and slaves. If possible, have troops with low morale, attack, defence, but very cheap. We could have them be the source of the 'abnormals', using breeding programs for different types of slaves.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 02:51:55 pm »

I like the way that Pseudo-North America looks. It reminds me of those early maps of the New World, which displayed this strip of land surrounded by water on both sides.

Could there be a gap of some sort between Pseudo-South and North America? I think that it could look very nice, and allow (relatively) quick access into Pseudo-China.

As an idea for nations, could you include one a kingdom ruled by Pseudo-Prester John? It would be a rather advanced nation, but surrounded by countries of different cultures and religions, eventually leading to a series of wars and battles on all sides. The countries with similar religions and cultures to this kingdom would be far away, too far away for contact or help (at least in the very beginning). Think of the Byzantium Empire transplanted into Mongolia.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 04:02:41 pm »

If you really care about Undead, just take a look at this mod and just nerf them in the final product.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 09:04:23 pm »

This looks interesting, it will be cool to see how it develops.

The only thing I can think of saying is that pseudo-Europe but especially the pseudo-Mediterranean area still looks a lot like the real thing. The coastlines, the Black Sea and the Arabian peninsula makes it kinda easy to make out. I don't know if that bothers you, of course.

...Yeah, this was pretty much just a "posting to watch" thing. But I wanted to say something else, at least.
Love, scriver~

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 01:04:11 pm »

I don't really like this, because you are being completely oblivious to anything we suggest, especially when its acually a good thing in retrospect.

Me and anzki4 posted some good maps, but you completely ignore them as if they did not even exist. In fact, you completely ignore any suggestion towards any new map.

And not implenting my idea about the Undead because you cannot try and think up a creative way to implent it just proves you like to ignore us. I can think up a way to put it in right now! Listen, if you have the "Undead Crusade" tag and units in an undead contolled province then it should be a possible event, with one outcome decreasing your manpower (Getting people to replace the infected soldiers) and increasing your normal revolt chance, and the other option increasing your undead civil war MTTH. There, I did it. And don't say that its immpossible to add a new and realistic spin to the undead, because its not. Read World War Z, which I feel adds a new a realistic to the take of the zombie apocalypse.

I have a sniking feeling your being far too closed-minded about this. Try and open it a bit more.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2011, 01:23:13 pm »

To be fair, it is his project and his vision, and according the OP, he has spent years trying to make/find satisfying map.

Just follow your vision Lysabild. I'll surely try this if/when your work is done.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 09:57:08 am »

I see your ideas, but I still feel it's all too early to brainstorm this :)

I don't know about how advanced I think a Prestor John inspired kingdom should be, but Prestor John could prove atleast some good inspiration :)

Thanks for watching then :)

If you go back you'll see that I responded to the maps and explained why I didn't see their merits, but that I understood your suggestions and agreed islands were needed, and reminded you I weren't that far yet.

I'm not gonna respond to the undead talk anymore, however. This is the Late Middle Ages to right before the Industrial Revolution. No mad scientists here.

To be fair, it is his project and his vision, and according the OP, he has spent years trying to make/find satisfying map.

Just follow your vision Lysabild. I'll surely try this if/when your work is done.

Thank you, I have indeed been trying to work out a map that please me for many years, and I listen and look at the criticism and the ideas, but I didn't make the thread to implement anything people could throw at me :)

Now, I was completely deadlocked in the Pseudo-World map and growing irritated that I just couldn't get it to work for me, so, I looked a bit around the net for more inspiration and found the program Fractal Terrain Pro, and what do you know, atm I am sitting with a world I fairly like, only it needs some more cleaning and I need one more continent.

Spoiler: Possible new map (click to show/hide)

Now, this is the exact size it needs to be, can't be wider, can't be higher, so either theres a really big ocean or we need another continent. Atm theres also FAR too many islands, but I'm having trouble deciding how to clean them up exactly.

Anyway, I'd like some opinions on this map :) I have a good feeling about it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:01 am »

Is there an option to raise the sea level a bit? That should take care of many of the smaller ones.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 10:15:12 am »

Is there an option to raise the sea level a bit? That should take care of many of the smaller ones.

Yes but that would ruin the coastlines which I'm rather fond of :b

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:20 am »

If you're still open for map suggestions, here is a base of a map I like very much;

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 11:34:12 am »

If you're still open for map suggestions, here is a base of a map I like very much;
As might be evident I'm more of a pangea fan, though I like how they are positioned together their individual forms don't speak much to me, I looked into using them to fill the space on above map I posted, but they looked awkward next too because of their differences in the fractal/detail level.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4