Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 'Insert World Name Here' Universalis: EU3 Low Fantasy Modding Project  (Read 17603 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Insert World Name Here' Universalis: EU3 Low Fantasy Modding Project
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 02:40:45 pm »

That new, fractal map looks awesome.

As for cleaning up the islands, I would remove any of the small ones in the North and East. Give me a second, and I'll show you what I mean.

EDIT: I would fiddle around with it a bit more, but here's the idea I have in mind:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:47:14 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 02:55:50 pm »

I'm a big fan of islandy maps, actually. Gives more use for navies.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:05 pm »

I'm a big fan of islandy maps, actually. Gives more use for navies.
Don't worry, fleets will be made important but a thousand few pixels islands will not do this, it will just look bad and cripple the AI most likely.

That new, fractal map looks awesome.

As for cleaning up the islands, I would remove any of the small ones in the North and East. Give me a second, and I'll show you what I mean.

EDIT: I would fiddle around with it a bit more, but here's the idea I have in mind:

I agree much with what you show and I'm in the process of slowly drawing islands away myself, though a bit slower and I do in in waves sort of. I'll update again once I'm done figuring out the islands, because then it's continent 2, and then it's on to rivers, provinces and terrain :)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »

I can't view the map (shaped internet, dontcha know?) but from what I can read, it looks good.

How many factions are you looking to do? 6-10, 11-20, or even more? Depending on your needs, I could try and work out a line of historical relations so people can get screwed over at any time they start playing :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 09:55:15 am »

I like the new map as well. Very interesting shapes, and it feels like an continent actually could look. Love the two inland/half-seas as well, always looks good. I'm a bit sad to hear you have no love for islands (but I completely understand it from a game mechanics perspective, the engine has a hard enough time with the islands, seas and ships in the vanilla game), but I hope you keep some of the islands in these seas at least. I have a huge thing for large islands in the middle of seas/lakes like that. Creta, Sicily, Gotland, Crimea... Yeah, that last one is a peninsula but it's so barely connected it counts anyway.

Buuut I'm just rambling about my interests. Keep up the good work.

However, if I'm allowed to come with an actual suggestion, I do think it would be good to add another unconnected continent as well (which you already seem to intend to do), possibly a fourth or third to half the size of this one.
Love, scriver~

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 10:15:16 am »

You can assign multiple islands to the same province. Just have a look around the normal EU3 map, there's plenty of islands that are part of a bigger province. And I would love a more navy focused game that isn't ruined by "lol britain".

As for the undead, I think it would be best to make them a series of national decisions/events instead of declaring a single country to be "it" where "it" is france combined with the golden horde and a bunch of buffs. Or just leave them out of politics completely and scale them down to province events that go "hey, seems there's an old necromancer living in this province, here have a bunch of manpower and revolt risk"

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 07:31:54 am »

How many factions are you looking to do? 6-10, 11-20, or even more? Depending on your needs, I could try and work out a line of historical relations so people can get screwed over at any time they start playing :P

Factions will be made when map is done :)

I like the new map as well. Very interesting shapes, and it feels like an continent actually could look. Love the two inland/half-seas as well, always looks good. I'm a bit sad to hear you have no love for islands (but I completely understand it from a game mechanics perspective, the engine has a hard enough time with the islands, seas and ships in the vanilla game), but I hope you keep some of the islands in these seas at least. I have a huge thing for large islands in the middle of seas/lakes like that. Creta, Sicily, Gotland, Crimea... Yeah, that last one is a peninsula but it's so barely connected it counts anyway.
Being a Dane, living on Zealand myself, in Copenhagen, I can definitely follow your love of islands :P

The problem is the idiotic AI and the terrible loading of units unto ships, they didn't bother improving it, Victoria 2 managed to have a good system for it :/

Buuut I'm just rambling about my interests. Keep up the good work.
Please feel free to continue, as long as we keep the topic on the map :) Rest will come in due time.
However, if I'm allowed to come with an actual suggestion, I do think it would be good to add another unconnected continent as well (which you already seem to intend to do), possibly a fourth or third to half the size of this one.
I plan to, but it's been hard to get further, plus I've had a lot of technical problems with a software that makes half the mapping process 110% easier.

You can assign multiple islands to the same province. Just have a look around the normal EU3 map, there's plenty of islands that are part of a bigger province. And I would love a more navy focused game that isn't ruined by "lol britain".
I know, I've made custom maps before and added provinces to Vanilla EU as well, Faroese Islands and Shetland especially since it pisses me off they're not there by default. Again, as a Dane (Denmark won at sea, Sweden at land as a rule of thumb) I too would love a navy that really means something, but I need to keep the AI in mind as well as playability for humans, loading soldiers on ships is fine when it's Gotland, but in the Caribbean it's nightmare fuel.

As for the undead, I think it would be best to make them a series of national decisions/events instead of declaring a single country to be "it" where "it" is france combined with the golden horde and a bunch of buffs. Or just leave them out of politics completely and scale them down to province events that go "hey, seems there's an old necromancer living in this province, here have a bunch of manpower and revolt risk"
Again, not personally interested in this and it's not even relevant till we're on the other side of the map :)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 09:04:49 pm »

If there is any help I can provide with the map, just yell at me. I have to warn you, not a big drawer or any good at geography :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2011, 06:50:05 am »

*Clears throat.* No, I never gave up on this and I am actually close to being done with the most important technical parts of the map.

I've gone with one continent, adding another can be an 'expansion' for later.

What I am here to ask is whether anyone would be willing to draw province maps. (It can be done in mswordpaint)

These are not permanent, but I need some help breaking the huge provinces into smaller more workable provinces, changing borders are easy, adding a few provinces no big deal, but adding hundreds hurts your brain and will.

Thankfully, some software is very helpful so all we need is the province map and then drawing unique colors unto it.

Anyway, if there is still interest around I'd like to hear it.

(An image was supposed to follow, but I'm having silly trouble uploading the provincemap -_-')

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2011, 11:48:11 am »

Well, I'd LOVE to play it.  ;)

I'm kind of busy atm, but could do event coding over christmas, as well as background / storylinish things.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 04:05:46 pm »

Spoiler: Update (click to show/hide)

Apparently, I can't upload BMP's anywhere x_x the png file worked though.

Above map has some fine provinces in the middle as you can see, and anuarely big provinces all over. We need the angled stuff gone.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2011, 05:05:37 pm »

Angled stuff? The water regions?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2011, 05:32:35 pm »

No the square water tiles is for future content, I'm talking about everything to the east of the big squares.

edit: If you zoom in on the middle of the continent, you'll see small provinces with natural borders, if you look elsewhere the provinces are chunky.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:37:58 pm by Lysabild »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]