Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 67

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 590960 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends
« Reply #555 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:02 pm »

A thread gets nominated, and then the next month, it is eligible to receive votes. Once it has reached the required number of votes, it is inducted. However, if a year passes without the thread receiving enough votes, it is removed from the nominated list, and must be re-nominated.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 10, 2013, 07:37:06 am »

Oh I see. That makes sense. Why the extra wait, though?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 10, 2013, 01:24:26 pm »

Mostly to prevent the hype of new thread/new discovery from washing a thread into the Hall too quickly. There's plenty of threads that can claim a month of being really popular, but the Hall of Legends is for threads that are not only popular, but enduring. If people still think it's worth inducting after knowing about it for a month, then it probably is.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 10, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »

It mostly has to do with how hellcannon was almost included in the hall after no wait.  Me and several others said "wait a second" and said that it should have to be a powerful story in order to be legendary, not just the fact that it is in series.  Recently it was deemed worthy and I believe it to be, but it was just the idea of fast inclusion.  We were concerned that the hall of legends would dribble down to nothing.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 10, 2013, 04:17:21 pm »

It mostly has to do with how hellcannon was almost included in the hall after no wait.  Me and several others said "wait a second" and said that it should have to be a powerful story in order to be legendary, not just the fact that it is in series.  Recently it was deemed worthy and I believe it to be, but it was just the idea of fast inclusion.  We were concerned that the hall of legends would dribble down to nothing.

Yeah, it was originally nominated after something like 3 turns. I'm glad we waited though, it gives the induction much more value.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 13, 2013, 10:32:33 pm »

I must add my vote for Skyscrapes.  Honestly can't believe that thing got completed.
At last, she is done.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 20, 2013, 05:47:39 pm »

Ardentdikes isn't active anymore. It was flooding with magma in the last save and too bugged to continue.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:00 am »

Happy February everybody!

Deathgate has concluded and is no longer active.

Also, booyah for breaking the character limit.
Ardentdikes isn't active anymore. It was flooding with magma in the last save and too bugged to continue.

Updated!

I have a nomination for the Hall, an Epic Adventure at the Dawn of Time.  The idea, according to the author, is to "Gen a new HUGE world, and start playing from YEAR ONE.  That would mean super low population.  Super High Titan and mega beast population.  And it would mean each Dwarf is "the first of their kind"  No kids yet, no epic warriors, no time for anything. So EVERYTHING is new and from scratch."  It is the story of not one but many dwarves, and follows their quest as they attempt to found a fortress at the dawn of the world.

The quest has been divided into two parts.  The first uses adventure mode to create unique dwarves and bring them to the mountain home.  It is a community story, and players take turns creating a character and trying to bring them to the designated spot halfway across the world.  Most try and fail, but a few succeed.  Both the failures and triumphs are recorded on the thread linked above, or you can read the journeys so far in this PDF.  6 of the 7 necessary to found a fortress have been gathered, and the last will soon begin.

The second part, set to begin as soon as 7 have made it, will record their attempt to found a fortress at the dawn of time, and I look forward to their further adventures. The thread has been going on for almost a year, and I don't expect it to be finished any time soon! But what has transpired so far is enough for a recommendation to the hall.

(As a side note, I know dwarf fortress is not fleshed out enough for this to happen logistically.  When the fort is founded, 7 new dwarves will be introduced into the game.  But game mechanics are advanced enough so that the original 7 will eventually immigrate in to the fortress with their history intact.  It might take several years, but eventually the original 7 will be gathered again.)

Nominated! Epic Adventure at the Dawn of Time will be eligible to receive votes in March.

I must add my vote for Skyscrapes.  Honestly can't believe that thing got completed.

Vote added!

Quiet month- no new nominees are eligible for votes this month, so we'll skip right on to the old nominees. Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress and Kor Fightevil the Power of Mortals are both in danger of being removed from the nominees list if they do not receive the requisite number of votes this month. If you feel one of these threads is worthy of the Hall, vote now!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 01, 2013, 02:06:48 am »

+1 for Skyscrapes, for building a great deformed middle finger against the sky to make any necromancer jealous.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 12, 2013, 07:04:50 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122543.0
I would like to nominate the threads Screw the Next Player Over for consideration into the Hall of Legends

Screw the Next Player Over (StNPO) is a multi-thread succession fort (currently starting its 3rd iteration) with a simple concept: You play a standard turn, then include some sort of "trap" for the next overseer on their turn. The trap cannot destroy the fortress and the players cannot hack the game to make the trap.

Each player must also create a challenge for the next overseer to complete, with a prize for their dorf for winning and a punishment for failing. This challenge can be as elaborate as the overseer likes.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 23, 2013, 01:20:15 pm »

A random observation: According to the maths, out of all the threads posted in Community Games and Stories/Dwarf Mode Discussion/DF General Discussion, only 0.175% actually make it into the Hall of Legends.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:22:17 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 23, 2013, 01:32:21 pm »

A random observation: According to the maths, out of all the threads posted in Community Games and Stories/Dwarf Mode Discussion/DF General Discussion, only 0.175% actually make it into the Hall of Legends.

Is it wrong this makes me even more proud of Spearbreakers?

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 24, 2013, 08:50:48 am »

only 0.175% actually make it into the Hall of Legends.

*Gulp.*

Got some work cut out ahead of me then...

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 24, 2013, 01:05:03 pm »

Talk about an exclusive club...
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 24, 2013, 06:18:24 pm »

Hellcannon needs a quote for the OP. How about this?

Like a perfectly pleasant little tundra fortress still busy getting its stuff together, that somebody painted a lovely shade of murder.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 67