Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What temp to melt bridges?  (Read 703 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What temp to melt bridges?
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:06:43 am »

So I've been playing with some nasty critters.  Trying to use bridges and bait to herd them where I want.

I keep running into a problem.  My bridges disintegrate when the critters move over them.  First it was a rock bridge, then an iron bridge.

Temperature's off, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some shortcuts for when temp's off.  One variety of these nasty critters has a fixed temp of 25000.  Adamantine has a melting point of 25000.  If I make bridges out of adamantine, do you think they will deconstruct too?

What about if I make ramp/retracting bridge setups?  Do you think fixed temp critters will melt bridges above them?

Or is there some other obvious way that the bridges are deconstructing that I'm missing?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What temp to melt bridges?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:53:53 am »

Or is there some other obvious way that the bridges are deconstructing that I'm missing?
Building Destroyers? http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Building_destroyer
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:57:20 am »

Building destroyers don't destroy bridges.

Are the bridges being actuated by mechanisms?  Creatures of over 1,200,000 interfere with operating bridges.  If you lower a drawbridge on a creature over that size, or extend a retracting bridge with a creature that size in the way, the bridge will be destroyed.

Otherwise, it comes down to a matter of the temperature of the creature versus the melting or heat damage temperature of the materials the bridge is made from, and any mechanisms the bridge is linked with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:09:48 pm »

The bridges were actuated (with iron mechanisms) but nobody was trying to flip them when they were destroyed.  They seemed to be destroyed by somebody walking over them.  Raised drawbridges aren't deconstructing, just lowered ones.  Just curious then if 25000 fixed temp will deconstruct 25000 melting point....  Time to make some expensive mechanisms!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:33:10 pm »

A creature with 25000 fixed temp will melt any nearby items having a melting point less than 25000 (which is pretty much everything but adamantine) - this was particularly common to observe in 40d when dealing with spirits of fire.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.