Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash when loading game [Linux/Ubuntu 10.04]  (Read 890 times)

cribozai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crash when loading game [Linux/Ubuntu 10.04]
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:02 am »

A great big hello to you all. Long time no forums for me. Just wanted to give some help for those who might be in the same situation as I was.

I would first of course like to thank you for the new version and you stated earlier in the 404 (pun intended) thread that you mainly are fixing the game to make the game more functional and balanced than the original one by Toady One (the Great). To that I would like to comment that you have done a great job at it. I played the first versions that were released under GPL and i found the gameplay in them completely horrible to be honest even tho the concept of the game was awesome.

Later I have played the game on and off for many years and always loved the fact that you kept it linux/ncurses compatible. Tho with the last few versions (and it probably is relevant to much older versions too) I had some problems on an Ubuntu 10.04 system. This time it was not about the sitemaps.txt issue (where the file would be of UNIX format instead of DOS) :P. This time it was about saving and then failing to launch the game because it tried to load the save.dat file and all i got was a stack trace (that looked terrible because ncurses was still active on the terminal and mangled the output). So I ran it with GDB to debug the problem and obviously placed a breakpoint in the load() function. The problem resided in the fread function calls and I don't know exactly what makes it so.

To the point.

The thing is, I was able to compile a clean copy under my Arch Linux system so it seemed weird. But i eventually figured it out and just wanted to give any other potential masochists the solution for the problem.

The normal procedure to compile under linux would be:
Code: [Select]
./bootstrap
./configure
make
I found that compiler optimization is the issue so I did the following:
Code: [Select]
./configure CFLAGS=-g CXXFLAGS=-g

For all of you who have problems with getting LCS running under linux. Private message me or find me on irc @ quakenet with the same name. I promise to help as well as I can.

Works like a charm for me.

Have a nice day.