Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 25885 times)

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a new player myself, so this should be interesting.
The embark site is as follows, and should be easy for newer players. The only possible danger is Wilderness vs. Calm.

The year is 5--the great historians have only just begun to record the great and numerous things that are happening in what little of the world they know to exist. Four prominent civilizations have sprung up--The crafty humans, the graceful elves, the industrious dwarves, and the ruthless goblins. These four civilizations are presently at peace, but with the aggressive manner of the goblins, who knows how long that will last?

The king of dwarves has ordered an expedition out to the Hill of Fire in the Skewered Land--a land rich in metallic ores and precious stones, sure to bring the kingdom riches. The group Akrulbembul, The Tin Mechanisms, is sent. The group consists of seven dwarves:

Minkot Medtobiden
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dodok Asobushul
Zulban Tiristzas
Rakust Muthirkadol
Sarvesh Gikutetur
Tholtig Ilirlorbam
Thob Kubukkilrud

How to play:
First of all, use the default tileset.

If you'd like to play, say a slot that you'd prefer. We'll start with seven slots, but more may be added. Each slot is one round, and a round is a full year of game time: from Spring to Spring. You are in charge of the fortress during your turn, tasked with running it, expanding it, and making it blossom. It would be incredibly rude to purposefully cause catastrophe for the next member in line.

Should something happen that wipes out the fortress, it's fair to redownload the save and have the -next- person in line take over.

While it's your turn, let us know what's going on! Post about major events with details and screenshots, be they funny or sad. Keep us informed as to your progress.

When the previous person's turn is up, you have three days to download, play, and report about your round. If for some reason you can't, play will pass to the next person in line. Any questions?

Dat order:
Fievreux - FINISHED
Tersr - FINISHED
Basque - FINISHED
Zanziik - FINISHED
Flandre - SKIPPED
CrustyPeanut - FINISHED
Shilo - IN PROGRESS
MilestoneTwo
Terkiey

A final note: This game is intended for people that are just getting into the swing of Dwarf Fortress. If you get stuck or need help, consult the wiki (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page) or ask here. The point is to have Fun.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:00:25 pm by Fievreux »

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »

Year 7:

Our caravan has suffered a long an exhausting trip from the kingdom of Kogan Ud. Our liquor and food supplies are dwindling, but we've reached our location--a location promised to be filled with valuable stones and metals. Right off the bat I can spot agates in the wall.

And what looks like basalt. It'll be great to get stone workshops built and out of the way, so that industry can begin.

The riverbanks will have to be hollowed out from the thick walls that surround them, it looks like, but should be easy to defend against any possible attackers in the years to come. The sand will provide a perfect place to start our farms, and with any luck, we can light the glass furnaces in late autumn.

---
27, Granite

We've been at it for a month and we still don't have shelter. We jointly decided to move to the other side of the river--building a bridge was a challenge in and of itself, but the water should protect us from invaders. The food it cost us will be replaced tenfold in security, even if the men are grumbling today...

27, Felsite

We're in a spot of trouble, here. Though everything is in order--workshops are build, bedrooms are made, a dining room is established, the animals are out to pasture--we are out of plants to eat. I've ordered the farmers to work double-time to get us something consumable, but until then we'll subside on our dwindling stocks of meat and fish. They blame the move across the river, but we'll have a fresh harvest of plump helmets soon enough.

18, Hematite

I have never been more happy to see a purple spade.

24, Malachite
Migrants!
Not only are there more bodies to throw around, but there are more animals! An improvement from the two male yaks we brought with us.

8, Limestone
Lignite.
Glass industry, here we come.

2, Timber
More migrants have arrived, bringing with them a couple more farmers. That'll help our food supplies stay high. Our miners struck lignite, and have been filling an underground storeroom with coke. A couple glass statues were made, but the majority of the fuel is being saved for when a major metal is struck. With the arrival of a craftsdwarf, we can start making rock and bone crafts that tradesmen will love.

23, Timber
Traders. ...But we have nothing to trade. A missed opportunity.

The first year is complete! A lot got done, but also a lot didn't.
The good:
Many things are built, and we have over 1000 units of various stones, ready to be used by masons.
We have a surplus of food and drink.
The mines beneath the fortress are rich in lignite, used to make coke at a net gain of one fuel per use.
A big dining room!
A bed for everyone.
No unhappy dwarves.
A small military with training weapons.

The bad:
Animals aren't breeding.
Few craftsdwarves.
No mechanics.

The ugly:
No metals.
No fisherdwarves.
No trappers.

Works in progress:
A drawbridge on a chasm over the river. The bridge is in place, all it needs is a lever to raise and lower it to keep out attackers.
Mines! Look below the fortress and you'll see.

What needs to be done:
Glass industry needs to get up and running.
Military needs to train.
Traps need to be made to keep goblins out.
Fish industry needs to get going!

The save file is in a new post--Tersr's turn is next!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:36:53 am by Fievreux »

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 05:34:34 pm »

Interesting concept, much different from what one thinks of when they think of a succession game. (BoatFailed!) I'll be watching this thread. I'm a nublet but I probably won't join in. Will you be Dorfing?

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 05:53:59 pm »

I suppose it's a little different! Whereas many succession games are a challenge, I thought it might be nice to set up an easy-mode kind of game for people to get the hang of things. That's also where I got the idea of starting the world with very low history--because theoretically those playing won't have very much history of their own, either! I'll be taking the first round, I guess to set an example.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:52:27 pm »

I would love a spot on the list, I'm a somewhat new player and this would be my first succession.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:11:23 pm »

I would love a spot on the list, I'm a somewhat new player and this would be my first succession.

Sure, you can go second. Once the first round is done I'll PM you the save.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 08:48:55 pm »

Yay Fievreux! I was really contemplating doing something like this but I'm far too timid to start a thread. XD I actually just started playing this past weekend and I'd really appreciate the opportunity to participate in a community game without the pressure of all the crazy stuff more experienced players do. XD I'd like to take whatever turn is next in line if that's okay with you.

Since you mentioned asking here if we needed help, again this is my first time doing any kind of community game: does DF have some screenshot system built in or should I just take an edit normal printscreen screenshots? Also I got the Lazy Newb Pack and have been using a tileset-I saw in another thread people taking about editing RAWs to change tilesets but I really don't want to mess anything up. Since it looks like you're using ASCII if I play it will my tileset mess things up or will it just stay in the default ASCII?

I really appreciate you doing this Fievreux! Thanks for being awesome!  :)

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:58:15 pm »

@Basque: I believe that if we play with separate tilesets it will indeed mess up. I don't know how easy it is to switch tilesets out, unfortunately. :\ If it involves installers, I'm screwed, because I play on a Mac. I don't think there is a screenshot function--I just use print screen. I'm pretty new myself! But hoping someone watching this thread (who has more knowledge) can answer some questions.

I'll put you up for the third place in line.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:00:20 pm by Fievreux »

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:12:38 pm »

Since you mentioned asking here if we needed help, again this is my first time doing any kind of community game: does DF have some screenshot system built in or should I just take an edit normal printscreen screenshots? Also I got the Lazy Newb Pack and have been using a tileset-I saw in another thread people taking about editing RAWs to change tilesets but I really don't want to mess anything up. Since it looks like you're using ASCII if I play it will my tileset mess things up or will it just stay in the default ASCII?

@Basque:

Dwarf Fortress does not any internal screenshot system, just use print screen and paste into an image editor like you said, crop out what you don't want, and host using imageshack or photobucket.

With the Lazy Newb Pack it is pretty simple to change tilesets. Download the save from the person before you and place it in the DF>data>save folder like it ought to be, then fire up LNP through its executable, click the graphics tab, and select Default ASCII 31.25. Install these graphics and say YES when it asks if you'd like to convert the saves to be usable with that graphics set. You should be all set in this way.

@Fievreux:

I'm not exactly new but I'd like to get involved if that'd be alright with you. Like the idea and hopefully I can be of some use to newer players.

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 09:20:43 pm »

@Zanziik: Sure thing! I'll queue you up for position number four, unless you want to go later on. I'll change it accordingly.

Since we have four people, I'm going to go ahead and take my turn. It'll show up in the spot that I reserved right under the initial post, screencaps and everything. I've never actually looked at the map, just chose the embark location and posted dwarf descs. Well. Let's strike the earth, Arkulbembul. :o

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:22:25 pm »

Fourth is fine with me, unless you need me somewhere else. Looking forward to my turn. Thanks! Good luck on your turn.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 09:29:54 pm »

posting to watch, i wish someone did this when i was new to DF.

and if i may offer a suggestion, put a link to the most recent save file in the opening post. not everyone uses the PM system, and it lets everyone take a peek at the fort as it progresses.

well there's my two cent's, i hope everyone has lots of fun FUN!
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 09:38:59 pm »

Put me down as...oh, say, seventh. I'll be leaving for a week on the 24th, so hopefully that's enough time that I won't miss my turn.

Also, are you doing dorfings? Put me down for one if you are.

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 09:45:35 pm »

@andy: Will do indeed.
@Milestone: Sure! I'm actually leaving for a week on the 30th, so I'm hoping to have things in motion by then. No dorfing this time around. Maybe for part two. ;)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »

I am not sure which level of experience I fall under, because while I have played DF for a long time, the military screens and late game are both alien to me.
For now, could you dorf me? Her name is Flandre, and she is a bookkeeper. I may decide to play if I wait and watch a little...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18