Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 25883 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »

I'll take a spot.  Though not a new player, I've never done a succession fort before.. so that in itself will be quite a new experience. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:05:11 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 01:11:02 pm »

@Flandre: Awesome!

@Crusty: Great, I'll put you in slot six.

And with that, we're all filled up!

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks Roboboy33 and Fievreux! I'll be sure to look at both tinypic.com and imgur.com. Otherwise hopefully everyone can at least keep the fortress intact enough to last to CrustyPeanut's turn. ^^

I hope people don't mind all the questions, but since CrustyPeanut mentioned he's not a new player I was wondering how long has everybody been playing? "New" is a relative term after all. Personally I've been playing for about one week. I'd like to see how the different amount of experience people have affects how they run the fortress.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd say for me its been 3-4 months? A D&D friend got me into it, and though the learning curve was nuts to get past, I'm wholly addicted to this game now.  Probably too addicted.. at the rate I'm going, I might become a dwarf.  Just need to work on the beard..

By the way, since you guys are rather new to the game, one mod that is almost required to play, and I'd HIGHLY recommend it, is Dwarf Therapist.  Its a simple, but amazingly useful, spreadsheet that makes assigning dorfs their jobs SO much easier.  Once I started using this, the game became 10x more enjoyable.  Plus, its included in the Lazy Newb Pack, which is another useful mod imo. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:23:17 pm by Crustypeanut »

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 01:45:16 pm »

Slate 13
Started mining operation to find ores and such.
Slate 23
Found some marble, if we are lucky we can find some iron ore we can make some steel!
Slate 24
Gold! We strike Gold! Going to make a nice coffin for myself later!
Felsite 4
Strike some galena, soon we can deck out the halls in gold and silver.
Felsite 8
Elfs came
Felsite 20
2 dwarfs died today by dodging into the river and a child with a  mood has happened.
Felsite 22
3 pieces of basalt and he started on the craft.
Felsite 26
The kid mad a amulet
End of Spring
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poor dwarves. :( Don't forget to make coffins for them so they don't
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would have never dreamed there was gold on site. Good job finding it!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Galena is lead and silver actually, so unless he found gold somewhere else, then thar be no gold :X But hey, lead and silver are useful.  Lead is great for random furniture, and silver is great for more expensive funiture, crafts, and of course - warhammers. 

When smelting Galena into bars, you get a definite 1 lead bar and a 50% chance for a silver bar.  So essentially, every two galena smelted, theres one silver bar you get as well.  Its certainly not a bad haul. 

Edit: DURP, missed the part where he struck gold.  Nice!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:52:31 pm by Crustypeanut »

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oho. Hey, Tersr, take a picture of the amulet's description! I wanna see.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poor dwarves. :( Don't forget to make coffins for them so they don't
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would have never dreamed there was gold on site. Good job finding it!
How do you propose we get the bodies out of the river, guess I could make some slabs and engrave there names, also, the gold, pure random digging, trying for caverns! Also, I think we might have some platnuim here, just got to find it.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tersr, wow if you find platinum too we'll really be rich! XD Anyway, I don't think you can fish dwarf corpses out of a river or anything, but a memorial slab would work. I can't believe our strange mood was a child! ::) Now we'll have to keep him extra safe if we want any masterwork crafts out of him.

It would be great to see things like a screenshot of the item's description or just screenshots of the fortress in general. And if you don't mind me asking, how has the combat and such been going? I've only played on lower savagery settings so I'm nervous about everyone ending up slaughtered on my turn. XD

Seems like so far you're doing a good job Tersr! Good luck with the rest of the year! ^^

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the images, I'm far to lazy/incompetent to make an post them, so please take my word, boring I know but still. Also the amulet was just spiked and hanging rings, nothing special.
Galena 27 From the eyes of Kogsak Cogkun
We pierced the caverns a few days ago and now reports of reptile men bugging some of the works got the army going down there, we started attacking them when the commander got shot and ran away, so I had to fight alone since the others were still coming down, I killed most of them and the last one was running away, in my chase, I saw a pool of MAGMA, prep for building forges down there start soon!

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm glad you found the magma! I was going to set up magma stuff if no one else did before me, but it's good for the fortress you beat me too the punch. I hope the lizardmen weren't too bad, how many of our dwarfs have been injured or killed? What's the current population count?

Otherwise it's awesome that you're getting magma forges built soon! I know Fievreux talked about doing glass stuff, do you plan on making a glass furnace too? If you don't mind me asking, what other industries do we have going?

Anyways, magma is awesome! I hope the caverns don't start throwing really evil stuff at us. Otherwise, good luck!

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Limestone
Setting up magma forges and getting migrants, one of whom got a fey mood!

Sandstone
The fey made a buckler,(badger leather with almandine and saguro in badger leather)  given to the axedwarf from last post.
I was right about the platinum,but only a small amount, mining and smelting starting now.

Timber
Got Forges working and mined most of the platinum.
Dwarf merchants came, bought and ordered all types of booze.

End of Winter

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome! Great work Tersr! If you don't want to post any screenshots, can I ask that Basque show us the new layout of the fort and some of your creations when he starts his turn? You can upload the save on mediafire or http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php and then link it back here.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Limestone
Setting up magma forges and getting migrants, one of whom got a fey mood!

Sandstone
The fey made a buckler,(badger leather with almandine and saguro in badger leather)  given to the axedwarf from last post.
I was right about the platinum,but only a small amount, mining and smelting starting now.

Timber
Got Forges working and mined most of the platinum.
Dwarf merchants came, bought and ordered all types of booze.

End of Winter
Congratulations! It is good to see the fortress is doing well. Those forges will surely come in handy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18