Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Civilization Mode  (Read 1280 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Dwarf Civilization Mode
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:15:20 am »

I once looked through the legends and saw the different societies.  I loved it when there were wars, and armies of around a few dozen people would assault one outpost of the enemy's, either kick ass or get crushed, leave, then sue for peace.  I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if you could control the entire Dwarven Civ?  Play as Armok, appoint a ruler, have that monarch, appoint generals, have individual forts run by the A.I. ( and I the A.I. must be very FUN prone ), etc.  With the upcoming army arc, the ability to send armies out in the field would be an essential part of this mode.

Sorry if this was discussed before, I apologize if I sound like a rambling lunatic, but this was just an idea I had. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Civilization Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »

Previously discussed. Still support it though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:47:59 pm by Urist McDagger »
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:16:26 pm »

Me too,but everyone would need a new computer.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:53:11 pm »

Only if every dwarf was separately pathing around the continent. If the dwarves were more abstracted, then it wouldn't eat up much more RAM then, say, Civilization.

Also support.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:51:20 am »

Only if every dwarf was separately pathing around the continent. If the dwarves were more abstracted, then it wouldn't eat up much more RAM then, say, Civilization.

Except we already have Civilization. What does Dwarf Civilization give us that's worth completely derailing development of the existing severely incomplete game?

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:58 pm »

Except we already have Civilization. What does Dwarf Civilization give us that's worth completely derailing development of the existing severely incomplete game?

Its not going to derail development, its already planned -_-
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »

Civilization doesn't have magma cannons, randomly generated giant firebreathing chartreause-feathered snakes, or artifacts. Or for that matter dwarves, dragons, or...well, anything that makes DF DF. Also, I didn't ever say "Add in a mode exactly like Civilization to Dwarf Fortress," I said, "Abstracting individual creatures could be a way to make it run better, like Civilization does."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »

A fourth game mode.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »

Its not going to derail development, its already planned -_-

And it has already derailed development.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:11:27 am »

What does adventure mode have that other games don't? I mean how many countless adventure RPGs are there even just among rogue types? Not to mention other games and yet plenty of people have no issue with it getting support.  Heck until recently adventure mode was barely even a game to begin with.

I like fortress mode and I doubt I'd get into the proposed idea in the OP, that said I don't care for adventure mode either (if I wanted to play such a game I'd go play one of the countless more developed ones) but I don't begrudge people for looking forward to it being updated.