Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 71153 times)

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 14/14]
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2011, 05:06:29 pm »

FlandreWhat role you would not want to see in this setup ?

Simple: I do not find the presence of any common role particularly worrisome, but since this is a bastard game, I would be wise to brace for any unpleasant role-related surprises. An exception to this might be the Vigilante in the hands of a dumb townie, for obvious reasons. Is there a role you would not like to see, Simple?
Yep. I would be horribly annoyed if we would lost to jester. Mislynch is bad and irritating but directly losing due to it would be just depressing. That's just more of my mindset than something that worries me because it's dangerous to town however. Especially since i find jester hard to fit in the game theme ( not that means anything )

I'm for the extend too.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:05 pm »

Jim: Do you think you are a mason? Protip, now is a very good time to be honest.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »

Not mason, what am I thinking, I mean miller.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »

No.

Why would I be? I don't smell bad or my farts smell worse than everybody else's like the rest of you are worrying about. As far as I can tell I'm a usual enough person.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »

Alright then, unvote.
So do you mix potions in cauldrons with newt eyes, but they don't do anything? Do you run around with a broomstick between your legs, flapping your arms trying to fly? Does your trochaic tetrameter end up more like iambic whatevermeter?

Thought you were trying to gauge what sort of pm a miller would get.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2011, 08:22:14 pm »

IronyOwl, do you expect that this game's semi-bastard nature will affect your ability to gather suspicions??
Not really. I read semi-bastard as "unusual," so I don't think there'll be much that interferes with normal scumhunting or reasoning. The only thing I'd be wary of is the possibility that some people wouldn't know they're actually part of a cult or whatever, since obviously there'd be no way to figure out they're scum until they themselves find out about it.

Incidentally, I'm also a merchant. I don't know if it means anything, but I notice most of us are implied to be reasonably well-off.

Flandre, if you were a cop, what criteria would you use to inspect people? What about if you were a JOAT (one-shot inspect, kill, roleblock, protect), what criteria would you use for when to use each ability and on who?

Bd, how important or useful do you think flavor will be in this game?

Pandar, you are here, aren't you? What do you think the size and semi-bastardry of this game will do to its general setup?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2011, 09:03:56 pm »

I'm in favor of an extension.

Simple:
Simple:  Do you agree that failure to know the townie wincon means that you're not a townie?
If it wasn't listed in the OP then i could agree. Also i believe that asking "are you scum?" isn't very efficient way to scumhunt but that's just my opinion.

That was mostly a reaction test, and you handled it well enough.  Unvote Simple.

Vector:  Can you think of a situation where you would you lynch someone over flavor?

Max:  Why are you more interested in playing with flavor and tossing theories than finding scum? 

On waiting:  Fine, but I don't trust you.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2011, 09:33:51 pm »

IronyOwl: If I were a cop, I would look especially to those from whom I gather a mildly scummy reading. It seems most economical to break any uncertainty with those which I am unsure of than to confirm a strong case and waste my time for little profit.

If I was a JOAT, my strategy (given that I was a townie and I understand this role) might be as follows:
-My inspect would be used on someone who satisfies the above criterion.
-My kill would be directed at the person I have inspected and confirmed to be negatively aligned, unless his situation changes and he was lynched on his own. Otherwise, I would save it for when I was absolutely sure someone was scum and the rest of the town refused to buy it. I would also be careful not to openly vote for him/her to prevent the scum from connecting my vote to the kill, mistaken me for a Vigilante, and do away with me that night.
-I would probably avoid roleblocking as a townie, due to my preference in voting for someone who I found was scummy over blocking whatever role he may have. Blocking the role of someone I was unsure about is to be further avoided. (This is the brief version of an answer I provided just a little while ago.)
-I would simply protect whoever I deem to be both dangerous to the scum, and whose death would yield the least clues for scum-hunting the following morning. In essence, I would have to think like one of them. Being a doctor is not an exact science, though, so there is little I could offer with general strategies.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2011, 10:32:07 pm »

Max:  Why are you more interested in playing with flavor and tossing theories than finding scum? 

On waiting:  Fine, but I don't trust you.

read the flavour for detective work (highly recommended!)

I am finding scum, hopefully. I mean I don't know about you but I'm loving the idea that a big part of the game will be trawling over flavour text for clues. Seems like fun to me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2011, 10:52:01 pm »

Vector:  Can you think of a situation where you would you lynch someone over flavor?

Without other clues, like the ones that come from scumhunting?  I probably wouldn't.  Bastard games, however, usually require that you solve a puzzle in order to help figure out what's going on, and how to hunt.  As such, working out mechanics are necessary.

Extend.

On that note...

Vector examines her surroundings.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »

Extend. I'm a baker. I bake bread, people buy it. I lead a pretty uninteresting life.

Toaster: Nearing the end of the game, yes, I'd use my inspect on someone I thought was town over someone I thought was scum. I find it's far more likely to me to be fooled by one of the scum acting authoritative, and I'd rather be certain about someone I'm unlikely to lynch going into the endgame.

Jim: So far I mostly think LNCP's good at writing lots of details and not much else. Aside from the two may-or-may-not-be millers, the thing I'm thinking might be a lead is Simple's mention of 'extortionists'. My biggest non-flavor 'lead' to date is that Max seems nervous, but Max always seems nervous.

Simple: Any chance you could elucidate us with some more information as to the extortionists?

Max White: You've been talking a lot about 'maybe there are no witches', questions about third parties, and posts like this:
Umm, can I tell you after we get some more info? I don't want people to know what I'm looking for, lest they try to give me what I want to hear, or avoid what I don't.
You have something awfully specific in mind that you're fishing for. Why focusing so hard on that?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:14 pm »

Holy BALLS you all were busy while I was at work!!!

Um, no more info Max, sadly.  No, not even the name of the inn.  I won't copy my entire PM (duh), but that's all there is.  I'm a merchant, resting at the inn.  Oh, and I like to drink, apparently.  That's everything.  There's a ton for me to read through, so Unvote for now; I'm satisfied with Think's answer, and feel there's a LOT of juicier stuff to dig through tonight.

PPE: Seriously?  More words n' shit?  Thanks a lot, Think and Vector.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2011, 11:14:28 pm »

There are exits NORTH, SOUTH, and DENNIS.

What makes you something like this is going to work at all?

MOD: Can you make certain that Bdthemag, Tolyk, and Pandarsenic, and possibly any others I might have missed who haven't posted since game start, are actually playing?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2011, 11:16:06 pm »

There are exits NORTH, SOUTH, and DENNIS.

Yeah, you're far more likely to be stuck wondering Why, oh Why you can't Get Ye Flask!

Because Wuba's not going to tell you, and there's no precious graphics to help you either.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »

KWN:DE and IMBML(BM(M)), which both had similar things as a vital mechanic.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39