Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Metal Beds  (Read 15227 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Beds
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 10:55:44 am »

Probably constructed similarly to a traction bench, where two items are taken into the workshop and combined
Wouldn't it be better to use them as separate components when placing the furniture? Merging them into a single item is gamey (in this instance) and can't be undone.

Spoiler: Old stuff: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:00:20 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 03:23:40 pm »

Wouldn't it be better to use them as separate components when placing the furniture? Merging them into a single item is gamey (in this instance) and can't be undone.

Do you mean like when choosing the gems for a gem window?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 12:19:46 am »

If that's like building a well, then yes.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 02:06:34 am »

I think that a dwarven bed (made of tower-cap) would look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 11:55:53 am »

If that's like building a well, then yes.

I forgot about wells and now I feel dumb.  Okay, that makes sense, although afaik, doing it that way would probably mean you'd have to have both/all components, instead of one or the other being optional.  Not that I'm against both parts being mandatory; I just want one of those parts to be smithable.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 12:36:12 am »

But as has been said... pretty sure beds have to be made of wood because no "padding" is being used.  A wood bed would be far more comfortable than a stone or metal one sans the mattress. 

I totally agree that beds should be made in multiple parts, but I suggest that it should be frame-padding-blanket.  Frame can be anything (wood, stone, metal, glass), then for padding you can either use the standard cloth options (pig tail cloth, yarn) or preferably use animal hair (fur) or feathers.  Right now feathers are 100% useless, even though they have been used for padding (and decorations) since... well the first mattresses probably.  However, "cloth" typically isn't used as padding, but perhaps the un-processed wool (yarn) or animal hair would be more typical.  Finally, you can add a blanket which is derived from cloth. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2015, 05:23:01 am »

I forgot about wells and now I feel dumb.  Okay, that makes sense, although afaik, doing it that way would probably mean you'd have to have both/all components, instead of one or the other being optional.  Not that I'm against both parts being mandatory; I just want one of those parts to be smithable.
I just remembered weapon traps. I think they have optional components.

But as has been said... pretty sure beds have to be made of wood because no "padding" is being used.  A wood bed would be far more comfortable than a stone or metal one sans the mattress.
I'm inclined to believe that sleeping on dirt or moss would be more comfortable than sleeping on an unpadded wooden bed. I mean, it's essentially an elevated wood floor when you think about it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:29:13 am by Bumber »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 01:30:35 am »

"bedframe" = "table".  We already have traction benches made out of table + mechanism, so I propose beds be made similarly as table + rope, table + leather or table + cloth.  (Incidentally, ropes can be made out of leather or cloth strips too, just saying) Since we already can make tables out of stone, metals, glass, ect... then it becomes almost trivial to create the reaction needed to make these a reality.  To make things far simpler, create a special class of cloth called "mattress" that can be built out of a piece of leather,  a rope or a sheet of cloth at the workshop of your choice (Clothier's or Farmer's springs to mind).  All that's needed is for the "bed" reaction be removed from the carpenter's workshop and "Construct Bed" be placed in one of the other workshops instead requiring "table + mattress" as the ingredients.

Various levels of mattress might work much the same as iron -> pig iron -> steel does now, with each previous ingredient having something added to it to produce a range of more valuable/comfortable mattress materials.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 11:32:18 am »

"bedframe" = "table".  We already have traction benches made out of table + mechanism, so I propose beds be made similarly as table + rope, table + leather or table + cloth.  (Incidentally, ropes can be made out of leather or cloth strips too, just saying) Since we already can make tables out of stone, metals, glass, ect... then it becomes almost trivial to create the reaction needed to make these a reality.  To make things far simpler, create a special class of cloth called "mattress" that can be built out of a piece of leather,  a rope or a sheet of cloth at the workshop of your choice (Clothier's or Farmer's springs to mind).  All that's needed is for the "bed" reaction be removed from the carpenter's workshop and "Construct Bed" be placed in one of the other workshops instead requiring "table + mattress" as the ingredients.

Various levels of mattress might work much the same as iron -> pig iron -> steel does now, with each previous ingredient having something added to it to produce a range of more valuable/comfortable mattress materials.

Sounds good, but replacing bed-frames with tables might be too counter-intuitive for new players. 

What if we had mattress/bedroll as a stand-alone furniture made from cloth/etc., (to solve the newbie's question of "Where will my dwarves sleep tonight?").  Then, each workshop (forge/mason/carpenter) had a "Construct [Material] Bed" job, requiring one mattress and one unit of [Insert Material For Frame Here].  So, your carpenter could make wooden beds, requiring a mattress and a log; your smith would require a mattress and some bars, etc.  The final product would then be a bed with a [Material] frame, worth more happiness points than a plain mattress.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 08:20:34 pm »

Sounds good, but replacing bed-frames with tables might be too counter-intuitive for new players. 

What if we had mattress/bedroll as a stand-alone furniture made from cloth/etc., (to solve the newbie's question of "Where will my dwarves sleep tonight?").  Then, each workshop (forge/mason/carpenter) had a "Construct [Material] Bed" job, requiring one mattress and one unit of [Insert Material For Frame Here].  So, your carpenter could make wooden beds, requiring a mattress and a log; your smith would require a mattress and some bars, etc.  The final product would then be a bed with a [Material] frame, worth more happiness points than a plain mattress.

Mostly, I wanted to make it easy for Toady to integrate into the game if he wanted to - twelve years of typing makes me wonder about repetitive motion degeneration.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 03:05:02 am »

By keeping the frame and bedroll separate components, I think it would be possible to implement wear on one part and not the other. Just an idea for mattress wear.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2015, 03:34:21 pm »

I'm inclined to believe that sleeping on dirt or moss would be more comfortable than sleeping on an unpadded wooden bed. I mean, it's essentially an elevated wood floor when you think about it.

Its more of a dignity thing, I think.  Sleeping on the dirt floor is for kobolds and heathens.  Civilized folk sleep on a designated bed.  There is some peace of mind knowing that hte bed is clean-ish (compared to the muddy/bug-covered floor) and "proper." 

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 08:06:52 pm »

Regardless of whether it ends up being a multi-part item or not, I still think that the forges should be able to make all the same types of furniture as the carpenter shop.  I mean, it's just sense to me.  Wood and metal are both hard materials, both very shape-able, and both require the sacrifice of a tree (until you find magma).  It's just that one is heavier and worth a lot more.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 10:44:57 am »

While it may be realistic to use textiles for beds, I feel like textile industry in Dwarf Fortress can be one of the hardest to develop and maintain.  This could seriously reduce the number of beds a fortress can produce, which seems to me dangerous for such a common need.  If multi-part beds were implemented, I would want to see some kind of counter-balance, such as a cheaper kind of bed for peasants, or dwarves feeling more gung-ho about sleeping in dormitories.  For example, I don't think dwarves currently get any extra happy thought from sleeping in a high quality dormitory like they do from eating in a Legendary Dining Room, giving them happy thoughts from Legendary Dormitories would be nice. 

That would probably be more realistic though:  http://www.oldandinteresting.com/medieval-renaissance-beds.aspx   http://stores.renstore.com/history-and-traditions/sleep-in-the-middle-ages#.VNzGTZ1kMSI  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed#History

If you can make bedrolls out of textiles, it would make sense to me to allow dwarves to build something like a hammock or a futon which is purely textile. 

Also, if you can make beds out of metal, you should be able to make them out of glass as well, as glass-wood-metal seem to be equivalent to dwarves for making furniture. 

My argument for metal beds is that children of the earth like dwarves should not have to rely on objects that can be exclusively crafted with wood, especially since real humans have a long history of using stone, metal and dirt for their bedding.  I've felt since I started playing this game that forcing beds to be made of wood is out of touch. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 10:58:25 am »

I'd love for some different bed types to be added.

Bedroll - 3xCloth: Portable, carried by military dwarves
Haypile - 3x Cave Wheat?: The lowest quality stationary bedding, slightly better than sleeping on the ground
Cot - 1 Stone/Metal/Wood + 1 Leather: Stretched leather over a frame, low quality bedding, unhappy thought if not military
Simple Frame Bed - 1 Stone/Metal/Wood + 1 cloth: Normal bedding, equivalent to current bed
Luxury Bed - 2x economic stone OR 2x Metal + 3x Dyed Cloth: Luxury Bedding, extra happy thought for sleeping on and 2x value modifier

This way you could get OK bedding with just wood and leather or just hay but wood + cloth is better. Leather is pretty easy to get normally.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4