Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Metal Beds  (Read 15247 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metal Beds
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:47 pm »

Would it be difficult to enable forges to construct metal beds?  It just doesn't seem right that they can only be made of wood, given that metal bed frames exist in real life.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Beds
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:07:40 am »

But Medieval metal frame beds?

Zoomulator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:20:36 am »

I think the requirement for wood when making beds is one of the few challenges that actually promotes trade.
It's far too easy to be completely self sufficient in the game, which is sad because I like trading!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:22:43 am »

Well that and you can make an entire proper bed with nothing but wood.

Wicker.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:05:56 am »

and stone ones,but the metal  and stone ones would need coth,silk or yarn.
i dont think that would be to hard for an medieval era civ to make metal beds,they alredy have silver instruments,and i do not think that silver is easy to work when makeing instruments like a piccolo...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:44:46 am »

I think the solution is to let ALL workshops receive custom reactions. You want stone beds? Make a reaction for it, we vanilla folk want to leave a use for wood so that you need access to the surface or caverns for SOMETHING.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:04:27 pm »

wood is for elves, real dwarfs  sleep in LAVA

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:48 pm »

I think the requirement for wood when making beds is one of the few challenges that actually promotes trade.
It's far too easy to be completely self sufficient in the game, which is sad because I like trading!

Perhaps, but now that soap is more necessary, large quantities of wood are needed to make ash for lye.  Plus, there's also fuel and ash for glass and fertilizer.  Also, depending on the fort, wooden objects are at least a little bit *easier* (one log and you're ready to craft, vs. hauling ore to the smelter and then the forge, nevermind worrying about fuel), so they'd be my first choice for making items in bulk (My current fort has a magma forge and so much ore you'd trip over it, but I still make the barrels and buckets out of wood, mostly because it's easier and I'm lazy/impatient).  Still, it'd be nice to make a solid gold bed-frame for a dwarf that has served me well.

Stone beds, now; that would definitely cut my wood use by a lot, since I'm usually looking for ways to get *rid* of all that stone cluttering up my fort.  I can see that being a game-breaker.

But Medieval metal frame beds?

Knowing next to nothing about medieval furniture, this is the one argument that would possibly shut me up.  My main reason for bringing this up at all is that it doesn't feel plausible to have metal versions of everything except beds.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 08:22:27 am »

I necro this because I have been asking myself the same question.

Why can we not make beds of metal?

want a silver beer keg? fine. Stone chairs? There ya go. Glass swords? No problemo.

I think it would be perfectly plausible to allow metal beds, or stone beds. maybe not stone beds. I dunno. One could limit the types of metal allowed, no soft metals like gold, silver, tin, lead. Nice solid Iron.... mmmmm comfy.

if anyone could tell me howto / if it can be edited in through raws I will try and do it myself...

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:02:42 am »

Lead barrels for food storage...

To be honest, I don't see any problem at all with metal or stone beds - it would suit the dwarven flavour very well.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 09:24:34 am »

Besides the fact that sometimes, rarely, we can get artifact stone or metal beds from possessed dwarfs, so some forts all ready have this stuff, its just that only crazy dwarfs have 'figured it out' yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:33:50 am »

I necro this because I have been asking myself the same question.
Well, I thought that was covered by the "one of the few challenges that actually promotes trade" argument, although I also have to say that this was more true in 40d than it is now as, regardless of the map you're on (IME), wood is always available natively.  Even if it's only cavern-plant wood.  The only real and absolute prerequisite for a bed is (trade notwithstanding, but especially so in island or other traderless embarks) an axe with which the wood is cut down.  Of course if you don't have an axe, but only the metal that you'd wish to make a bed with... well, make an axe! ;)

Why can we not make beds of metal?
"The ShadowToady knows!"  Seriously, I think because wooden bedframes are the thing you use when you no longer sleep on the floor on/in the clothes on your back.  A bigger question is perhaps why beds don't need more than wood (c.f. Minecraft's wool requirement), except that I think this is a dwarf thing.

And perhaps the woodenness requirement is because to truly get a good night's sleep, dwarves need to know that they're hunkered down on a lump of dismembered matter that is sacred to the elves.  Like various nasty creatures of folklore like a bed of their enemies' dismembered bones, etc, etc. Or, alternatively and less xenophobic (relative dorfiness or not), if they're laying down on a stone or metal surface they might as well have been on the stone or ore-strewn floor, so there's just no point.

Stone chairs?
Technically, that would be a throne.

[/quote]if anyone could tell me howto / if it can be edited in through raws I will try and do it myself...
[/quote]No expert myself, but there's a whole modding section to this forum that probably have stickies with equivalent examples, or somesuch.

Lead barrels for food storage...
Not necessarily a problem for non-liquids, and even with liquids if you avoid the acids (or long storage times) you're not going to have so much of a problem.  Assuming that dwarven physiology isn't already adapted to all kinds of contaminants floating in the air (below cave-in-cloud levels, anyway, which are enough to cake the clothing and exposed flesh but apparently don't cause much in the way of permanent lung problems beyond any initial injuries).

To be honest, I don't see any problem at all with metal or stone beds - it would suit the dwarven flavour very well.
I'm not arguing against that on principle, but given how the situation is I'm Ok with the vanilla restrictions (and also Ok with anyone who adds their own essence of peppermint to the mix).

Back to the challenges of wood, as well as ash for soap production, you still need wood for axles.  Apart from the fact that in mills (water/wind/tidal) of the age and later you never had metal-cog on metal-cog[1], but always at least one wooden cog (or wooden teeth set into a metal wheel) to avoid various things such as sparks, provide a 'mechanical fuse' in the linkage and other fairly logical purposes (yes, including material availability/workshop capabilities), I'd say that the lack of non-metal axles is a bigger mystery than non-metal beds.

But as that's the case, then fair enough.

[Removed mention of artefact beds being made of virtually anything, anyway, given the ninja]

[1] Assuming that the axle is essentially terminated at each end by an integrated cog structure, to mesh with the gear made from the stone/metal mechanism[2]

[2] Although I had sort of imagined that a mechanism was a cube configurable in a number of ways, inside and out, but when constructed as a gear it had a recessed hollow on each side ready to receive an axle.

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »

I was thinking about the thing about all beds being made of wood myself once. This is what I thought should be done:

Beds should actually come in two components, like builldings or traps or other things; the first component is 'bedframe' which can be made of anything rigid--wood, stone, or metal. The second component should be 'mattress', made from cloth. Then, when you build a bed, you pick a bedframe and a mattress, and there you go.

It might also be possible to actually build them separately, if someone was hurting for resources. Put down a bare bedframe for dwarves to sleep on, or a mattress on the floor. Both should give unhappy thoughts though; the bedframe for being hard and uncomfortable, and the mattress for being on the ground and getting infested with little bugs and vermin.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 06:04:21 pm »

A bigger question is perhaps why beds don't need more than wood (c.f. Minecraft's wool requirement), except that I think this is a dwarf thing.

The Dwarf making the bed actually makes the pillow and sheets out of his own beard hairs. It's pretty well established here on the forums that whenever a Dwarf does a task that seems to use less materiels to carry out than it should, it's because that Dwarf used his beard hairs for part of it.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 06:27:58 pm »

"Im tired"

Urist cancels build wall: Sleeping in Dwarf bed made from hair

"Mmmm, cozy"
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4