Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 446125 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

Why are all dwarven names unisex?
Like, dwarven equality, man!
Also, Litrast doesn't really care what gender the other Litast is, as long as (s)he does his/her job. Unless theyt're married that is.

Why would anyone make an artifact that's a candy hammer or a wood cup?  >:(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Dwarves lose control when they go into moods. Trust me, they smack themselves in the forehead at least as hard as you do when they come to their senses again.

Why have dwarves evolved to do this? It's counterproductive!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile

Dwarves lose control when they go into moods. Trust me, they smack themselves in the forehead at least as hard as you do when they come to their senses again.

Why have dwarves evolved to do this? It's counterproductive!

They've evolved to do this because back when every artifact was a weapon made out of the finest metal a beserk dwarf only had to go ten urists to find a device capable of bringing an end to everything. Also forts were covered in kobolds trying to get at the weapon. In the end, it just wasn't worth it, hence the featherwood hammer.

Why do kobolds steal the first thing they see, such as a xxsockxx, when the perfect cut black diamond or other treasure is nearby?
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Kobolds are willing to settle for what they can get, and five more steps forward means five more steps to run from angry dogs.

Why aren't all dwarves named after weapons, like Urist was?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's only a couple dozen types of weapons known in the dwarven universe. Imagine if only a couple dozen names could be used; you'd probably have the same name as several of your classmates and friends, not to mention larger groups.

Who wants to ask a question without having to answer one?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile

obviously someone who likes minor paradoxes.

How come snow demons can survive in magma indefinatly, and die the moment a baby's hand touches them?
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear

Because dwarf children are blessed by Armok.

How come dwarves can make mechanical devices (mechanisms) out of stone but not wood or metal?
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They can make metal mechanisms. As for wood, it's hard to shape into delicate forms like gears while still having strength, and they get laughed at if they try.

Why do dwarves shun elves? Their ethics are similar, except for the whole "eating people" thing; elves and dwarves should see each other as the best friends they have!
Sig

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

The whole "eating people" thing.

Why are the children of all animals the same dark red color?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's the way the display works.

Why is it so hard to stop looking at the new posts and replying to these kinds of questions?
Sig

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear

*facepalm* I totally missed that you can make metal mechanisms. Your first objection to wooden  ones applies 10x more to stone though. Lets see you make a  practical stone latch. Meenwhile I'll be over here making one in a few minutes with a pocket knife and a few sticks. Also wood works fine for gears. Hell that's what most water wheels and windmills were made with IRL :P
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

*facepalm* I totally missed that you can make metal mechanisms. Your first objection to wooden  ones applies 10x more to stone though. Lets see you make a  practical stone latch. Meenwhile I'll be over here making one in a few minutes with a pocket knife and a few sticks. Also wood works fine for gears. Hell that's what most water wheels and windmills were made with IRL :P
Maybe for U.

[/abysmalpun]

Dwarves are much better at working stone than wood. They have beards.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Because they can't be bothered to manufacture Soylent Green.

Why do trees always fall exactly where they stood?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because one tree does not completely fill one in game tile. There is room to the sides for the wood to fall while remaining in the same tile.

In reference to the above, why can't anything seem to realize that it's possible to move around trees?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 301