Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 446078 times)

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why can't bees be inside and just fly out?
There's actually two kinds of bees: Outside and inside (just as with plants). There's the dark inside bees, big as a Kobold's fist, and when you get stung on the nose it will swill up to the size of your head. They gather "honey" much like the pine honey their outside counterparts bring in. They have no eyes but orient themselves using the air currents in the caves that caress the hairs on their bodies. When they go outside, the turbulences in the air are like watching a Pink Floyd lightshow through a kalaidoscope. While drunk and on XTC. Basically some form of cave adaption.

Are there stone drums as instruments and (if so) why don't the Dwarves need leather for it?
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile

When dwarves play the drums, they carefully lay their beards across the hole where leather would usually be situated and beat it, both producing a sound of war second to none and strengthening the hair.

How, exactly, does someone shatter a skull with a silk sock?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Enormous amounts of inertia.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what measure of speed dwarves would use, so eh.

What happens to doors when they get opened? As soon as they're open they seem to cease to exist entirely.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:48:43 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile

Urists, obviously. What else? "By Armok's shiny beard, how fast was that minecart going?" "I'd say at least 245.7 Urists. Now get along to the hospital so you can die of dehydration."

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's dwarven quantum physics with the doors - while active, they completely take up the block they're in, no matter their original size, and go to an agitated dwarven quantum state.
When they're open, they go to a grounded state. It's much the same as with dump sites - the material there isn't stockpiled, so it's in a grounded dwarven quantum state, letting you stack up thousands and thousands of rocks and boulders and swords and dragon corpses, but whenever they're agitated by stockpiling, they completely take up the square.

Now, this gets complicated when you get semi-agitated entities into the mix. You'd have to assume that they're permanently semi-agitated, and that the stockpiles' and doors' agitated states differ somehow, as entities can stand on agitated stockpiles' squares, but not on agitated doors'. There's a bit more dwarven physics involved there, too, but that's the basis of it.

---

How the hell can a dwarf get impaled on a ballista arrow he himself helped load!?
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

He Tbowed in front of it.

Why do atrributes gained nevr rust?  Am I to believe Urist Mcnoble has legendary strength even though the most he lifts is his mead?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile

Urist McNoble drinks his mead out of a minecart.

Why do children insist on following and interrupting their parents in dangerous construction areas?

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile

Urist McNoble drinks his mead out of a minecart.

Why do children insist on following and interrupting their parents in dangerous construction areas?
Why do parents insist on taking their kids . . .. ?
(Why do I have to answer a question with a question?)

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile

The children have become aware that they are going to spend their whole lives in this hellhole, and are trying to off themselves before a carp does it for them.

Why do beekeepers come to a fortress that is dug into a glacier?

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do beekeepers come to a fortress that is dug into a glacier?

They think they're up for the challenge. And to annoy you.

Regarding the stockpiling / dumping discussion: So stuff can change from being a Boson (able to occupy the same state as everything) into Fermion? Does this have something to do with the temperature (BCS theory on superconductivity, cooper pairs and stuff)?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:07:40 am by gunpowdertea »
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Fuck no. The dwarves just pile all that crap together and call it one "tile's worth." Dorfs run on "good enough".

Why don't we see more Dwarven sieges due to criminal negligence on the part of the Overseer (you)?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

Friend Overseer is above and beyond reproach. Anyone thinking different will report to the nearest execution station. Failure to do so will count as a capital offence.
Have a nice day-cycle and remember: happiness is mandatory! :)

How come the Deadly Neurotoxin of the Giant Desert Scorpion works differently from all other Deadly Neurotoxins (e.g. Black Mamba venom)?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They had to use the emergency Deadly Neurotoxin because their Deadly Neurotoxin reserves had reached dangerously un-lethal levels.

What is the Dwarvern Planck length? For those who don't know what that is, it's the smallest logical length that has been hypothesised to be measurable at all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why are adamantine threads more valuable than adamantine wafers? (1800 to 1500 I think)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why are adamantine threads more valuable than adamantine wafers? (1800 to 1500 I think)
Psst, this is a game type thread.You're suppoed to answer the one above you with a snarky/helpful answer and then ask a question.
It's not for serious problem help.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 301