Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 446105 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.
« Reply #1335 on: September 05, 2012, 03:30:24 pm »

Because if you don't, you'll waste it on something less !!FUN!!

Why do nether-caps have a steady internal temperature?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.
« Reply #1336 on: September 05, 2012, 03:51:16 pm »

Nether caps were where the phrase 'when hell freezes over' came from.  They are cold enough to freeze hell, so hell booted them out of itself.  Look up legends, historical figures, Nether Cap.  It will say:'in the time before history, nether cap began wandering the circus.  In the year 1, Nether Cap escaped from HFS and began wandering unknown regions.

Why do dorfs hate being naked?  Haven't they ever heard of a nudist colony?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: September 05, 2012, 09:52:50 pm »

Mountainhomes are cold, dank, and moist. If nude, you suffer not only embarrassment but the threat of death from hypothermia, infected foot wounds, or various types of parasites which hide in the corners. Also, dwarven children laugh at those who can't even afford some pigtail clothes.

Why would they want to be nudists?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: September 06, 2012, 04:29:50 pm »

Let's just say there's more than one beard they could admire...

Why are animalpeople almost always hostile?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 06, 2012, 11:10:23 pm »

So, a bunch of hairy, noisy, boisterous, brutes start digging your rocks and eating your animal kin. Sometimes, they even attack unprovoked! Wouldn't you be hostile?

Will the Dwarves ever cultivate Plump Helmet men?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:36 pm »

Too boring except for the occasional plump helmet meat drop, so probably no, but they'd hunt the plump helmet men.

Dwarven sugar + dwarven rum + dwarven syrup = ?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 07, 2012, 12:24:52 am »

The insistence of my dwarves in picking up bins full of multiple sets of steel armor, dragging them all the way to the surface, and onto the battlefield so they can put a helm that one of my military dwarves randomly dropped back in the bin. It isn't just after battles of course, dwarves going off training like to leave armor and weapons scattered about, so of course what must be done is to drag up the bins from my guarded armory to put it all back.

Once they do this, they seem to realize the futility of the whole operation and just leave the bin there, so that days later some other dwarf can remember that there's about 50,000 dwarfbucks of valuable armor sitting on the surface and maybe they ought to put it back in the stockpile.

They monkey around with weapon bins in the same way. Every time I want to make a weapon trap, I have to wait and pray that they stop dragging around the bins long enough for me to designate some deadly implements for my traps. Half the time all I have available is a few large daggers, when I know I've got large serrated blades and giant axe blades floating around somewhere.

I suppose I could remedy this somewhat by splitting up my weapon and armor stockpiles more. If I had one for steel battle axes, one for iron, etc, then they'd logically be dragging around less full bins, at least. On the other hand every time they do that, we'd lose access to all our spare steel battle axes all at once, and I'd have dwarves going on-duty being unarmed and possibly not finding a weapon to use before going into combat. I've set all my axe dwarves to chop wood, but they still like to drop their axes when they go on/off duty, and all my other military dwarves are out of luck.

I'm tempted to go without bins altogether, but I don't think I have the space. I've already tried adding wheelbarrows in the hopes that this way only a single dwarf per stack would be running around swiftly with the wheelbarrow, but this only works for bin retrieval. My other haulers are still dragging the bins by hand up six flights of stairs and then dropping them out in the barracks or out in the field, only the trip back is quickened and now I only have as many dwarves taking them back into the stockpile as I assign wheelbarrows to that stockpile.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:36:58 am by Stromko »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: September 07, 2012, 02:36:09 am »

Dwarven sugar + dwarven rum + dwarven syrup = ?
Urist McPeon has succumbed to diabetes.

If Forgotten Beasts are really forgotten, how do you know their names?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 07, 2012, 06:24:30 am »

Legends.  Same way you know what's left alive in the age of Fairy Tales.  Also sounds cooler to say 'Leto the face menaces' killed my fort rather than forgotten beast 04 made of granite.

Clowns escape all the time to perform at birthay parties, why cannot FB?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: September 07, 2012, 06:41:03 am »

Clowns do not escape, the traitorous goblin gods free them to lead their armies. FBs embarrass even those dark gods, for they are monsters from before the gods existed.

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 07, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »

Speaking of that, why does my bro' Armok make the FBs? He refuses to speak on the matter.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 07, 2012, 03:16:44 pm »

Speaking of that, why does my bro' Armok make the FBs? He refuses to speak on the matter.
Those were his tests to see what sorts of bodyparts and structures he could make on living things. He doesn't like to remind everyone of his practice, so he locked them away where those capable of ridiculing him would not be able to reach. Except the Dwarves, ever more industrious, did.

Why can't I convince my dwarves that performing a long-distance caber toss would be a good way to train their strength, speed up hauling, and provide entertainment for the other dwarves?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: September 11, 2012, 12:22:58 am »

They aren't stupid; they know you're up to something.

Why do goblins pause in their task of slaughtering all dwarven civilisations to go chase a kitten in circles for ten minutes?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 11, 2012, 01:16:16 am »

Somebody set up us Yakety Sax. Also, Rule of Funny.

Why did the chicken cross the rough pitchblende Road?

Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 11, 2012, 04:26:06 am »

There's no roads in dwarf fortress, but if there were, it'd be to get to the butcher shop.

Why Urist McMiner, who breached an aquifer and got caught in a dead end corridor with slowly rising water, yet learned to swim to Skilled before any dangerous level of water got near him, doesn't decide to swim away from the oncoming flood?
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 301