Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 445513 times)

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile

Ouch.  I need to increase my dormitory size then apparently!
Start of my worst fortress: Digging down a z level "You have struck native aluminum, You have struck native platinum."
Digging out my home made me get a pop of 50 (Welll... I did make SOME crafts.... XD.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile

Start of my worst fortress: Digging down a z level "You have struck native aluminum, You have struck native platinum."
Digging out my home made me get a pop of 50 (Welll... I did make SOME crafts.... XD.)
So wait, just FINDING a vein of an ore will raise your value?
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So wait, just FINDING a vein of an ore will raise your value?
No. Its that I had designated that that's where my home was gonna get dug out. Then It happened while I was afk.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile

The stones recovered from the vein count as wealth IIRC.  the unmined rock -- not so much.

Why can dwarves get used to seeing their friends and family butchered before their very eyes and "not really care about anything anymore", but never become "nose deaf" to miasma?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The stones recovered from the vein count as wealth IIRC.  the unmined rock -- not so much.

Why can dwarves get used to seeing their friends and family butchered before their very eyes and "not really care about anything anymore", but never become "nose deaf" to miasma?
They secretly like it, I swear it puts my temperamental dwarves out of their tantrums immediately.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile

To answer the question Rorab wanted to ask but forgot to: Because once you crouch your height exists in an alternate reality, and thus only one dragon actually has height as long as the other infinite number are all crouching, so it's entirely fine.

Why do nobles constantly mandate for things I don't have the time to deal with, don't have the craftsdwarfs for, don't have the shop for, or, most often, just don't have the materials?

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Because when a dwarf becomes a noble, they have (generally) less work to do, and so their individual preferences start to become more prominent, and later a physical need. It's a sort of addiction, they NEED that slade amulet!

How have dwarves mastered quantum entanglement (i.e. the so called 'mechanisms') before electricity?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Truthfully, they have mastered electricity, but they choose not to use it because there's no way they could safely make cables to carry the current. One tantrum would wreck the entire electrical system, but unless you link everything to a single mechanism, it's entirely safe to use quantum entanglement.

Why are walls completely indestructible?

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile

Because they are designed to fall on anyone who deconstructs them and only dwarfs are dumb enough to do it.

why do my dwarves run away from the only escape from the deadly magma flood?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

They wish to become one with the fiery soul of the earth (hey, it beats churning out +earthenware statues+ 24/7).

Why does my mayor want a random bismuth bronze door inside his bedroom?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because it goes just perfect with the bed, doncherknow?

Why are caverns so hard to find when I'm aiming for them, but crop up every third pick-strike when I'm not?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.

Because it goes just perfect with the bed, doncherknow?

Why are caverns so hard to find when I'm aiming for them, but crop up every third pick-strike when I'm not?

It's like anything else: when you want it, you can't find it.

What do Forgotten Beasts do while waiting for us to open the caverns?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

There's a Forgotten Beast forum where they share the latest fashion and accessory tips. Deadly dust and being emaciated is in season!

Why do goblins keep making silver edged weapons? And light blunt weapons?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because goblins don't smith and they get the junk items from experimenting idiot dwarfs.

If dwarves breed by spores how does anyone know who fathered the children or who anyone is related to for that matter?

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

Because the female's beard filters out spores that don't belong to her husband.

edit: ahh, am I supposed to ask a question as well?

Why havn't I seen a Purring Maggot for the longest time?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:48:46 pm by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 301