Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 444800 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

They're hoping to come back after a few millenia and mine the oil.

What does Troglodyte taste like?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tastes like gremlin.

What does gremlin taste like?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

Tastes like Troglodyte. (ad infinitum)

Considering that On the origin of dwarves answers many of our questions, could it be considered canon?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Sure?

Why cant my children seem to fight off goblin snatchers, but when a steel titan rolls around my infants break its legs and overall give it a slow and painful death?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

As children, dwarves are naturally scared of the color green and hold back against the goblins.

How do dragons breathe fire?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

A gland in the dragons belly produces a fluid which boils when it leaves the pressure of the dragons body. The gas then proceeds to ignite when it makes contact with oxygen, producing a flame about as hot as 2500°K.

Why do dwarves use an anvil when the floor below them would do just fine?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

Do you have any idea how hard it is to swing your beard at a bar of metal when it's laying on the floor?

If dwarves (and all creatures) reproduce via spores why aren't all dwarven women constantly pregnant?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Do you have any idea how hard it is to swing your beard at a bar of metal when it's laying on the floor?

If dwarves (and all creatures) reproduce via spores why aren't all dwarven women constantly pregnant?
Due to their indoor nature, dwarves need to familiarise their body with the spores of their partner through at least a day of being within one Til length, to ensure no dwarvern women give birth to forgotten beast spawn.

Why can't craftdwarves be told which kind of craft to make?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

(ACK Ninja'd-
It's hard enough for the regular cells to find their way to the egg- random air currents take even longer. Spores also get stuck on clothes and burn up in the fortress magma waterfalls.)

The craftsdwarves' union has attained the right to full creativity in their work. It's lucky that we can even determine the material used in some cases.

Why are there no dwarven classrooms or teachers?

But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile

(ACK Ninja'd-
It's hard enough for the regular cells to find their way to the egg- random air currents take even longer. Spores also get stuck on clothes and burn up in the fortress magma waterfalls.)

The craftsdwarves' union has attained the right to full creativity in their work. It's lucky that we can even determine the material used in some cases.

Why are there no dwarven classrooms or teachers?

Because the dwarven hivemind negates the need for such things.

Why can waterwheels power themselves?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Waterwheels are not simply wheels with paddles. They are living organisms that metabolize water. When you give it a fresh current of water, it uses some of that energy to turn the axle faster than the water current, thus generating what appears to be perpetual motion.

How can a 7-deep 1-tile pond be nothing but ramp?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

Waterwheels are not simply wheels with paddles. They are living organisms that metabolize water. When you give it a fresh current of water, it uses some of that energy to turn the axle faster than the water current, thus generating what appears to be perpetual motion.

**Slowclap**
At last, she is done.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Unlike solids, liquids can only stack up to 7 portions on a given tile. However, water and lava share solids' ability to stack regardless of terrain and horizontal space constraints.

If cave adaptation works due to sensitivity to air currents, why doesn't it help dwarves to overcome non-adapted invaders by "reading" nearby motion?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It does. Dwarves fight better underground when fully cave adapted.

How does one boulder make four blocks, OR one wall? But the same 4 blocks makes four walls.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

How does one boulder make four blocks, OR one wall? But the same 4 blocks makes four walls.
Because dwarves will cut down the boulder bit by bit looking for the perfect bit of stone, but they use blocks just as they are.

Why do female dwarves not have beards?

DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 301