Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 441228 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

Who'd ever send a baby into the third cavern layer! Thats just gruesome.

Why do traders keep going deeper and deeper into the mountain for the trading center?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They are just checking when they can finally trade with the clowns. Until then, they keep on making money selling garbadge.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Why do flying creatures get stuck on rooftops when there's an overseer ordering them around?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

Because they have no radio to be contacted with.

Why is it impossible to have cauldrons of hot tar/oil on top of the battlements? Resorting to magma can take a really long time to set up.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Why do flying creatures get stuck on rooftops when there's an overseer ordering them around?

I remember reading somewhere that if there is a walkable pathway to the rooftop and the creature is below it, that the flier will go up onto the rooftop without taking the long way around, and if there is no pathway, they cannot path off the roof, due to the way path finding is handled.

I'll give a display to show you what I mean, 1 represents pathable area, 2 represents unpathable, I is the pathway of the creature, and C represents the creature:

Can cross
Code: [Select]
11   1C1
11    I

Cannot cross
Code: [Select]
222 1111
22   1C1
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Oh, no, I understand that. They need a walkable path as opposed to a flyable path because dwarf pathfinding be wonked.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Why is it impossible to have cauldrons of hot tar/oil on top of the battlements? Resorting to magma can take a really long time to set up.
Dwarves would never dabble with systems involving such little deadly fluid. Aqueducts and pumps are the only way to go. As for not using boiling oil at all... rock nut oil is not the best option for deadly traps, and the only tar around is from elven lungs.

Why do I constantly have to reboot this thread after someone forgets to ask a question/that a question was asked due to replies?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because people expect you to. I sometimes can't think of a good question and let somebody else take up the slack since I know they do... doesn't seem too disruptive.

Why do creatures dropped in volcanos not feel the effects of the magma till they hit the bottom?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

Why do creatures dropped in volcanos not feel the effects of the magma till they hit the bottom?
They're falling so fast as to cause supercavitation, pushing the magma out of the way.

How can Urist McSoldier be "depressed by long patrol duty" and "upset about being relieved from duty" at the same time?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wouldn't you be upset if you worked 24/7 for a few weeks, but then got fired?

Why can't dwarves throw stuff OUTSIDE of tantrums?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

"Because they need to kill and projectiles TOO SLOW." said Urist Eshimudos

Why do we have zombies and ghosts but no zombie goasts?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

Zombies are not intelligent and therefore not eligible to become "goasts" (sic.).  [edit]Also, goasts leave no corpse to raise when put to rest.[/edit] But you can have zombie goats if that's of any comfort.

Why is Urist McTantrumpants upset about "accidentally" killing his friend, when he in fact took joy in his slaughter?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Zombies are not intelligent and therefore not eligible to become "goasts" (sic.).  [edit]Also, goasts leave no corpse to raise when put to rest.[/edit] But you can have zombie goats if that's of any comfort.

Why is Urist McTantrumpants upset about "accidentally" killing his friend, when he in fact took joy in his slaughter?

Not sure if you knew so here is what the refrance. And here is the refrance to here is the refrance.

I'm not actually that bad at spelling.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

No question? Asking one myself then.
They're falling so fast as to cause supercavitation, pushing the magma out of the way.
So you are telling me that the dwarf travels so fast that it generates impossibly low pressure behind him, vaporizing the magma. How is that supposed to be possible even after suspending our disbelief?!
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

No question? Asking one myself then.
So you are telling me that the dwarf travels so fast that it generates impossibly low pressure behind him, vaporizing the magma. How is that supposed to be possible even after suspending our disbelief?!
Because Dorf Physics. Elephant dwarf marmot cat refuse and all that.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 301