Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 440341 times)

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is the Dwarvern Planck length? For those who don't know what that is, it's the smallest logical length that has been hypothesised to be measurable at all.

Uhm... One Urist (the length of an adult male Dragon) I guess. At least that is the length of the spatial dimensional quantisation. And I'm glad that time is also quantised in DF! This leads to quantum tunnelling of minecarts...

Why haven't the invaders yet discovered the ladder possibilities inherent in the trees next to my entrance / moat / wall?
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

In general, with the elasticy of vertical space seen with stockpiles, climbing anything other than a defined slope tends to take much longer than expected. Even then, no tree trunks reach above one tile, the icon used to show them just shows the weaker top branches that nobody would be capable of climbing without huge risk of a deadly fall.

How do dwarven crossbows function without needing to be strung?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

the crossbows provide stability, aim, and emotional stimuli.  We all know its the beards that do the launching of the bolt.  Same reason an adventurer can throw just a bolt so effectively.

Why is fire generally so ineffective?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile

It burned nearly all of my topside, taking out a siege in the process. I'd call that very effective.

Why do dwarves make entire spears/axes out of metal instead of just the heads?

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stability.
Usually the point where 2 materials connect to each other is the weakest part of the weapon.
Dwarves have learned this, and just build weapons from a single bar of iron, top to bottom.

EDIT:
Why do socks wear off within a week, but i can hollow out the entire known world with the same old copper pick?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The picks have a monomolecular edge.  When coupled with its neigh zero contact point it makes for one hell of a long lasting weapon, as only a small portion can be damaged or worn at any time.

How can said copper pick mine adamantine?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile

Because ore is just a rock with unrefined metal inside it. Also because dwarf.

Why are clowns always so damn grouchy? I try to have a good-natured laugh with them, but they just lash out with those honkers of theirs.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also because dwarf.

Sigged, pending your objection.
PKs DF Mod!

Coolthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why are clowns always so damn grouchy?
They see you as fun-hating grump. They are trying to show your dwarves how to have fun, it's just that their fun involves ‼Iron chain‼s, screams of pain, zombies and elven bonemeal.
It's a cultural thing.

Why are dwarves capable of slaughtering tame animals and butchering wild ones, but totally incapable of butchering dead tame animals or slaughtering wild ones?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.
« Reply #1314 on: September 03, 2012, 04:40:06 am »

Why are dwarves capable of slaughtering tame animals and butchering wild ones, but totally incapable of butchering dead tame animals or slaughtering wild ones?
Dwarf OCD. Basically, if you try to tell a dorf to do an "impossible" thing or make him miss Wapner, it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼.

Why do the werebeasts even bother showing up in fortress mode, when they immediately revert to non-were form anyway and run like little girls?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.
« Reply #1315 on: September 03, 2012, 07:27:14 am »

They thought the night would cover them. They thought wrong.

Why does water freeze when exposed to sunlight, even though the water is 5km below the surface?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 03, 2012, 07:44:49 am »

EDIT:
Why do socks wear off within a week, but i can hollow out the entire known world with the same old copper pick?
I've had socks last much longer than that.

Why does water freeze when exposed to sunlight, even though the water is 5km below the surface?
Temperature in the current DF worlds is caused by sunlight. When it's one way, it raises temperature; in another way, it lowers temperature. Proper physics will be implemented sometime in the next decade or two.

Why do dwarves make opaque glass walls but transparent cut-stone windows?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 03, 2012, 08:45:03 am »

Why do dwarves make opaque glass walls but transparent cut-stone windows?

When they're making windows, they make sure to arrange the materials in such a way that they are mostly see-through.
With walls they use the same process as with any material, dump it into a pile and lay a single beard fibre within it in order to ensure it never collapses. This tends not to end up with a good visibility.

How does the dwarvern world cope with the lack of genetic diversity within species?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 03, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »

lack?  I see all kinds of individual characteristics on both man, mer, and beast.

Animals in DF didn't evolve, they were put, whole species at a time, into the arena for a deathmatch.  Winners got raws, losers...

This is why you do not see giant komodo dragons.  Crundles beat them.

How come dwarves are so prone to childish fits and mob mentalities?
PKs DF Mod!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:33 pm »

They're more like Humans than we initially thought.

Why do Dwarves have an aversion to eating enemy combatants?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 301