Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 441255 times)

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile

Because the gods are narcissistic jerks and start yanking clowns into the surface if they aren't constantly worshipped.

Why is my scholar dedicated to writing autobiographies when he should be writing about stuff that's actually important?
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vanity, thy name is Urist.

Why do Dwarves et al. hold whip-throwing competitions?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse

Cauz there drunk idiots
Why... suicidal dorfs call a 1Z drop a 'Cliff'?!

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cauz there drunk idiots
Why... suicidal dorfs call a 1Z drop a 'Cliff'?!

because distraught children like to throw themselves, and break their necks
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, so my miners were channeling a moat (down, down, down, then dig an exit tunnel to my fortress, then seal it off). and then both of them disappeared. I found them on the trees (two separate ones), about 10 tiles left and 5 tiles up from the moat they were digging. I chopped down the trees and they went for a drink but WTF.

I didn't even lose sight of them. One second they were down in the moat, then they were gone, then they were on the trees.

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile

Okay, that one needs a serious answer.
Honestly, I'm not completely sure, but it seems to be a pathing issue because I've found everything from ducks to cows up in trees whenever they're on the surface. It doesn't seem to be exclusively combat-triggered, as essentially anything that's on your side can end up in a tree, but there's a chance it's related; I've found that my surface-training soldiers have been ending up in trees a lot more ever since they've started to spar.

Though the distance at which they were found tells me this pathing issue might be a lot more screwy than just jumping into trees. I've found animals pastured near the center of my map up in trees right in the corner, too, so it might be something else entirely. Either way, the cause isn't certain so far, and your options are chopping the trees down, making a connective network between trees so they can get back down, or just leave them to starve for their idiocy.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i think i would just let them starve, or they would get injured by teh fall when you chop the tree down
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, that one needs a serious answer.
Honestly, I'm not completely sure, but it seems to be a pathing issue because I've found everything from ducks to cows up in trees whenever they're on the surface. It doesn't seem to be exclusively combat-triggered, as essentially anything that's on your side can end up in a tree, but there's a chance it's related; I've found that my surface-training soldiers have been ending up in trees a lot more ever since they've started to spar.

Though the distance at which they were found tells me this pathing issue might be a lot more screwy than just jumping into trees. I've found animals pastured near the center of my map up in trees right in the corner, too, so it might be something else entirely. Either way, the cause isn't certain so far, and your options are chopping the trees down, making a connective network between trees so they can get back down, or just leave them to starve for their idiocy.
Maybe it's the trees growing? As trees grow from saplings to full size in an instant, creatures in the vicinity of such an event tend to get caught up in trees. Or at least used to.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They were actually sitting in the branches just one z-level above surface, so they're fine. As to why this happened, I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that the moat was inescapable (they were supposed to dig the exit for themselves later). So my best guess is they felt like taking a break from channeling, freaked out (we're trapped!) and through stress discovered in themselves the dormant teleportation ability.
In other words, I think it had to do with the absence of normal pathing options. Never happened in 0.34, though, of that I'm sure.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

File a bug report then?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Earth2543

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

How do I butcher and untamed animals? (It is killed by my military squad)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Are you sure the corpse isn't forbidden?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Do you have your dwarves gathering surface refuse? Under the (o)rders menu.

Earth2543

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Comw to think of it, they didn't haul it to the refuse pile..... thank for the suggestion I'll look it up.

And nope its not firbidden
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301