Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: House rules for difficulty  (Read 12133 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: House rules for difficulty
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 01:02:29 pm »

Thats strange my goblins can do everything a dwarf can do....
did you change anything else about the goblin entry aside from adding the controllable tag?  any mods?

perhaps it's just this goblin civ itself that lacks these things.

i wonder how i'd go about modding goblins to start with a typical goblin leader unit...  or how to handle a "monarch" represented by the "&" symbol...

All I remember is that I added [CREATURE:GOBLIN] uunder Dwarf in the mountain entity entry...for kicks...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 01:12:58 pm »

ah, that's perhaps why....  they are dwarf civs peopled by goblins, rather than "real" goblin civs
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 02:01:03 pm »

- No trap fields. 2-3 layers of traps at the entrance are fine, mostly as a way of capturing errant wildlife.
- Baths. Everyone has to be washed sometime.
- Rooms for everyone.
- The fort may not be sealed up. The drawbridge is there, but is an emergency in case of catastrophic flooding. Yes, it has happened before.
- No raw food! It MUST be cooked. If I can't use it for anything, that's cooked too.
- No exported valuables. The only thing allowed to be exported is stone and bone; bones are renewable, and the stone has to go SOMEWHERE.
- All imported metal items are scrap. They have to be melted down before use.
- Iron and steel are only for weapons and armour, and magma-safe stuff. There has to be another source of metal for stuff like bins.
- No native above-ground wood; I tend to embark in mountains ANYWAY to avoid aquifers, so there's none to be had. Imports and cave trees.
- Only one entrance at any time, and it has to be defended. Actively if at all possible.

Other limitations:
- No running water. It causes lag.
- No single-tile paths, except into bedrooms. Pathing lag!
- If it flies, it dies.
- If it moves, it dies.
- If it's green, it dies.
- Bodies have to be disposed of properly. Or at least disposed of.
- No atom-smashing; it's cheap.
- No caged enemy is wasted. They're used for training the military.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 02:12:33 pm »

I personally have no issue completely sealing my fortress off from the outside world (since that's what many places under siege did in times of old), but since I often play from an RP perspective, I can't just ignore the army forever and toss merchants or migrants to the wolves.  My dwarves would never simply turn their backs on their fellow dwarves or stout human allies and let them be torn to pieces.  Elves...elves are usually on their own.
Elves are on their own on their own damn accord. They have archers and war-gorillas, why not use them?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 02:15:56 pm »

ah, that's perhaps why....  they are dwarf civs peopled by goblins, rather than "real" goblin civs
I thought so too, but I get goblin caravans from a goblin listed civ.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:17:40 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 09:41:38 pm »

I thought so too, but I get goblin caravans from a goblin listed civ.
being peopled by goblins perhaps make goblins friendly?

i'm going to have to play my goblin fortress soon, so i can discover more.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:06 pm »

I had that once my civ was somewhat Poped by gobs and it gave me one at embark no babytakers and sieges during its entire life and Goblins sent Caravans Too it was fun
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 10:57:38 pm »

Raw Adjustments:

Decreased value for everything. And I do mean EVERYTHING. Most metals between 1 and 5, with gold, platinum, aluminum, and of course adamantium higher.

Increased rarity on many ores, especially gold.

GROWDUR vastly increased. Underground plants have no sunlight - they would grow very slowly. Plus, we have to make SOME reason for the dwarves to trade. Otherwise, why ever open the doors? Most underground plants take 2 seasons to grow, at least.

[SLOW_LEARNER] on dwarves. Nuff said.

No traps. Except maybe on long access tunnels, and then not that many.

No completely walling yourself off.

Dragons (and other megabeasts, sometimes, but always dragons) will kill many dwarves before they are brought low. High damage block, special tissue for skin and muscle and bone. No pain, no nausea, no fear. These are the Lords of the f'in World.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:18 am »

No booze.
Aquifier must be on the map.
Can only make Marksdwarves squads.
Must let Gobbos in before you attack them.
Every 5 years, the leader must have an unfortunate accident.
After 20 years, must dig out HFS.
If a king comes, they die.
If a queen comes, they die.
If any royalty comes, they die. Including guards, taxcollectors and Hammerers.
If magma is ever found, must throw all corpses not in a coffin into magma. Including Dwarves.
Cannot trade with Elves, must kill them.
Can trade with humans, but may only sell cloth-related items and clothing and can only buy metal items.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 11:55:16 am »

No traps and no danger rooms for me.  I would be more apt to use traps if dodging into the square had a chance for a dwarf to activate it.  I used danger rooms in the past, but aside from the insane level of skill gain with very little risk, I disliked how it homogenized my squads.  None of the dwarves really stood out for me, because they were all basically interchangeable.  Even no-skill peasants in subsequent migrant waves soon became indistinguishable from soldiers from the original Seven.  Danger rooms also erased that "ooooh" factor when a migrant would arrive with high levels in a particular weapon skill. 

Clamatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 12:12:56 pm »

So far I'm up to ~60 dwarves, so the sieges should start soon. I have a fairly large gravity trap at the entrance fed by linked hatches - although there is always a safe path into the fortress - and about half the dwarves are military. I lost a few miners channeling out the gravity trap because I accidentally caved it in (oops).  Linked hatches seem like they should be pretty good against plain goblins - we'll see how it works out once the trolls and giant cave swallows etc. show up. I was somewhere fairly calm, so the lack of weapon and cage traps didn't really matter much in the early game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]