Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Infraarcana: a lovecraftian roguelike  (Read 39941 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Infraarcana: a lovecraftian roguelike
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2015, 11:32:16 am »

Amazing !
Thanks for that new version.

edit : first attempt at the new version with a war veteran .
All went well on the 1st floor (after getting rid of the wolves on the surface) , i managed to survive running into some kind of cultist meeting after shooting with my m1911 and hammering the survivors (i found a nice sledgehammer to replace my starting weaker hatchet) .

It got me a nice sawed off shotgun and ammo for it and my m1911.

So far so good, ran into a room filled of animated corpses, managed to kill them all with my useful shotgun (and didn't forgot to kick to destruction all the corpses on the ground to prevent them to rise again, as they don't stay dead for a long time).

After exploring everything i could, i ran into a blocked door just in time to get ... an insanity going, and babbling incoherent things. , after kicking it twice, still wasn't opening.

I decided then, as all seemed good to test with my various potions.
I went blind, then i went berserk then i went insulated to electricity.
And last potion, let's see ... i went .... poisonned !

Oh no !

Wow, from "all is good", i run into everything is bad and my character is doomed in a couple of seconds.

As usual when i'm poisoned there's nothing i find to heal that status, so as i was berserk i decided to try to kick the door i wasn't seeing anymore (as i was blind) and it got destroyed, moved blindly in the new room and found the stairs, cool, maybe i'll find something to heal my poison.

After getting back my vision, i explored, then explored and ... died from the poison.
Damn.

Funny thing , while berserk you get the message all in caps :D

Code: [Select]
Last messages:
   I START TREATING MY WOUNDS... I AM SUFFERING FROM THE POISON!!!
   MY HEALING IS DISRUPTED!!!
   THE DOOR SEEMS TO BE STUCK!!!
   Which direction? [space/esc] to cancel
   I KICK SOMETHING!!! I FEEL A DOOR CRASHING OPEN!!!
   I AM SUFFERING FROM THE POISON!!!
   I DESCEND THE STAIRS!!!
   I BUMP INTO SOMETHING!!!
   I BUMP INTO SOMETHING!!!
   I BUMP INTO SOMETHING!!!
   I BUMP INTO SOMETHING!!!
   I BUMP INTO SOMETHING!!!
   I BUMP INTO SOMETHING!!!
   I CAN SEE AGAIN!!!
   I AM SUFFERING FROM THE POISON!!! I AM DEAD... [/quote]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:21:39 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2015, 01:45:26 pm »

Still playing and just got a good run with a war veteran in which i ran into 2 uniques

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lots of fun, an the ambient sound really makes the atmosphere working.
Only problem i have is the respawn , still not really fun to retreat on a closed room you cleared so you can get some healing, and out of nowhere, the room has monsters in it.
Respawn should be more rare in my opinion (not removed as it helps keeping the fear going) because there's already the insanity "clock" forcing you to move to the stairs.

Oh, and the poison, it's simple, every time i have been poisoned in that game, maybe it's just that i have persistent silly bad luck in every games of Infra Arcana i played, but i never found anything to get rid of it once i'm affected.

This is a bigger problem than it sounds, because it then means you really don't want to drink potions (as you never know if you're going to drink a poison one, and they don't seem rare at all) to identify them, because it's too big of a risk, wasting a character on poison is not really fun.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:52:39 pm by Robsoie »

Törnqvist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2015, 02:37:36 pm »

Oh, and the poison, it's simple, every time i have been poisoned in that game, maybe it's just that i have persistent silly bad luck in every games of Infra Arcana i played, but i never found anything to get rid of it once i'm affected.

This is a bigger problem than it sounds, because it then means you really don't want to drink potions (as you never know if you're going to drink a poison one, and they don't seem rare at all) to identify them, because it's too big of a risk, wasting a character on poison is not really fun.
A good time to identify potions is when you have a bunch of different unidentified ones. If you drink poison, there's a pretty good chance that you'll also have a potion of antidote or vitality. Another option is to drink them near a fountain. Even a lvl 1 Occultist should usually survive that.

Törnqvist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2015, 02:39:03 pm »

Manuscript of Sacrifice Spirit is another option to survive poisoning.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2015, 02:59:33 pm »

I wish i could have found any of those when i got a poison status, unfortunately it always happened when there was no such items around.
Didn't knew fountain could remove the poison status as the changelog posted previous page mention healing, shock and spirit, i'll have to find one before trying to drink anything.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:03:05 pm by Robsoie »

Törnqvist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2015, 03:09:23 pm »

Didn't knew fountain could remove the poison status
They don't. What I meant is that they heal enough HP for you to endure the poison. I just tried it now myself by drinking  a potion of poison as a lvl 1 Occultist next to a fountain - and I survived it.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2015, 03:10:11 pm »

PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2015, 03:55:27 pm »

Didn't knew fountain could remove the poison status
They don't. What I meant is that they heal enough HP for you to endure the poison. I just tried it now myself by drinking  a potion of poison as a lvl 1 Occultist next to a fountain - and I survived it.

Got my best run ever, reached the 11st depth and i got poisoned by a spider but managed to survive that thanks to a fountain , probably the 1st fountain i find after being poisoned, usually i find them when i'm not :D
I used the opportunity to drink all i had to identify, wasted a few potions that could be useful, but at least i discovered the dreaded poison one.

Something that could be nice is to have your equipment listed in your grave file so you can check what your characters had before dying.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:57:10 pm by Robsoie »

Törnqvist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2015, 04:29:01 pm »

Got my best run ever, reached the 11st depth and i got poisoned by a spider but managed to survive that thanks to a fountain , probably the 1st fountain i find after being poisoned, usually i find them when i'm not :D
I used the opportunity to drink all i had to identify, wasted a few potions that could be useful, but at least i discovered the dreaded poison one.

Something that could be nice is to have your equipment listed in your grave file so you can check what your characters had before dying.
Hey, nice job! You reached the mid part of the game :)

I agree that the postmortem info should show your items, identified. It's just something I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2015, 02:21:53 am »

Random idea: maybe after becoming adept necromancers, we could go back to dig up our old corpses and resurrect them as persistent allies?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2015, 02:25:56 am »

Heh

The Migo and the Yith both have Lightning Guns.

In fact one of the weirder aspects of the lore is sometimes there is a bit of overlap...

But then again when the Flying Polyp and Shuggoth exist... Having a lightning gun is probably something you want to invent.

Törnqvist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2015, 12:13:53 pm »

Random idea: maybe after becoming adept necromancers, we could go back to dig up our old corpses and resurrect them as persistent allies?
That would be pretty awesome. Perhaps the graves should not be placed in the forest intro level then, but instead previous dead players can be found inside tombs on the dungeon levels they died at.

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2015, 12:14:51 pm »

I just beat v 17.0. Spoiler filled description of victory and comments below:

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2015, 12:38:32 pm »

Congratulations for the win, never managed to win once myself, but the game is still lots of fun and with its sound building up the atmosphere.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:40:35 pm by Robsoie »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2015, 03:30:23 pm »

Well, just gave this another try.

Made it D5 as a rogue before:

This is a roguelike I keep meaning to spend more time with. It's so clean and user friendly, it's got nice details and writing, and I enjoy the perk system.

If there's three wants I'd have, it's better flavor descriptions for objects (tombs, chests, statues, etc..), some more music and better tiles. If IA could get to like, CastlevaniaRL levels of tiles, it'd really be something. Part of that want is it's hard to represent lighting levels correctly.

Another thought is, it'd be cool if the shock reduction on changing floors was dynamic. Like, based on how harrowing your run was you get less shock reduction. Prioritizing events like damage in combat and being set on fire over events like reading a manuscript, time spent in the level.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:03:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11