Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Infraarcana: a lovecraftian roguelike  (Read 39940 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Infraarcana: a lovecraftian roguelike
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2015, 03:45:12 pm »

If IA could get to like, CastlevaniaRL levels of tiles

Thanks for mentionning it, i can't believe i missed that roguelike existence, i gave a quick try and it's quite nice , though got crushed by the 2nd skeleton i met :D

It has some sound effect that help the atmosphere similarly to Infra Arcana, though the music while giving more action to the is downplaying a lot the dark ambiance to me, but i guess as it's a RL inspired by a famous console game, it's doing good at it.

Infra Arcana with that quality of tileset would be amazing indeed.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2015, 06:04:48 pm »

Haven't played this in a while... downloading to see how it has evolved :)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2015, 02:41:13 pm »

I won again, this time with the occultist.
I found an amuulet of haste, a ring of spell reflection, a ring of fire resistance, a plus 3 dagger, and a rejuvinator device, and two blaster devices. I also found around 5 potions of vitality, and plenty of potions of antidote. In addition, I found important spells like bless, and sacrifice spirit/life early on. So, basically I obliterated everything in my path. This is what happens when you play the game too much I suppose, eventually the RNG gives you a perfect run.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2015, 11:45:21 pm »

ptw
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2015, 12:44:17 am »

I think this game, like most roguelikes, suffers from the lack of stuff to do in the beginning. Basically, in the first levels your survival is most up to chance. If you get cornered by walking corpses, you die since you can't dynamite them etc etc. Now that I think about it, Incursion is pretty much the only roguelike I've played where from the very beginning it feels like I'm doing meaningful things and having meaningful choices.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2015, 05:38:02 pm »

I think this game, like most roguelikes, suffers from the lack of stuff to do in the beginning. Basically, in the first levels your survival is most up to chance. If you get cornered by walking corpses, you die since you can't dynamite them etc etc. Now that I think about it, Incursion is pretty much the only roguelike I've played where from the very beginning it feels like I'm doing meaningful things and having meaningful choices.
I don't exactly agree with this, but you need to get *really* good at it if you want to reliably beat the early game.  The unfortunate thing is that some skills are not really balanced against each other (one skill path in particular is 99% mandatory to win).  However, how you move and how you approach each situation really is significant.  Think of it less as a game that's about designing your character and more as a tactics game.

Against reanimated corpses, the main strategy is to draw the fight out by retreating after every one or two kills.  Their resurrection makes it easy to get overwhelmed and also every time you see a corpse get up it adds shock, which can quickly put you over the limit.  This makes it really important not to aggro a zombie pack until you've explored and cleared enough room to fight in; in particular control how much noise you make.  Don't go around kicking doors until you've walked around a bit, use throwing knives or darkbolt instead of guns, ect. ect.  If you do aggro a pack and have nowhere to move, I'd jump straight to using your most valuable gear.  You're going to switch out your pistol eventually anyway, might as well fire till you hear the click.

Oh, also try kicking them sometime.  Its more effective than you might think.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2015, 09:02:45 pm »

The wikispaces link is expired. Anyone know where to re-download this?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2015, 09:07:31 pm »

Here you go.
https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/

In other news, teleport traps are Fun.

Entertainingly enough, I saw another teleport trap near the one that sent me here, so I really have no excuse.

Edit: Blasted my way through with dynamite

Double Edit: Discovered why not to light a molotov until you're SURE that there are enemies in the area.  Its... kind of amazing I lasted so long without ever once doing that.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:17:19 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2015, 08:02:23 pm »

Thanks for the link, i didn't knew he changed his website.
Still an awesome game.

edit
Got a run that went well for a few floor, my quickly found sledgehammer being very good at sledgehammering things , managed to get rid of that horrible Brown Jenkis rat , but his owner, Keziah Mason, teleported away after summoning a few rats and worms that fell to the sledgehammer power.

Ran into few cultists that learned they weren't immune at all to mighty sledgehammer, and so far i was so good, didn't used my dynamites and had a bunch of molotov .

And another cultist came, i should have been more alerted because the P was blue, meaning that wasn't the average cultist, and indeed, the guy gestured and i went *paralyzed* , and out of nowhere a pack of rat thing came to help the cultist (i don't think he summoned them tough) , and everyone happily punched and bite my hopeless character.

Until the paralysis disappeared, i was surprised my guy was still alive, i hammered immediately the closest creature, a rat thing, hoping the cultist would close in, and he did ... another gesture *paralyzed*

Of course, the rat things finished me .
So in case you see a blue P , don't go melee, shoot him with the highest damaging weapon you have or throw molotov/dynamite to him, the important stuff is to kill him fast before he do any gesture, as while you may survive him punching you while paralyzed, you will not if a bunch of things decide to come into the room to help him.

edit 2 : if you play with 12x24 ascii, someone made a bold version on this thread of roguetemple.
Was playing with it and it is quite nice to the eyes.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:41:01 pm by Robsoie »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2015, 09:02:07 pm »

Haven't played this in a while... downloading to see how it has evolved :)
You may want to update the link and info on the first post.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2015, 11:06:00 pm »

Fun fact: smoke causes things to choke.  There are a few things in the game that have only a few health points, and a small amount that have exactly one.  Ever want to be an exterminator, toss a smoke grenade into a room of rats.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2015, 02:44:01 am »

Didn't thought smoke grenades could do damage , i think it was only to try to cover your tracks, thanks for the hint, i'll have to try this as rats can be very annoying when you're paralyzed.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2016, 05:37:47 am »

Since last time i played (version 17.0), it looks like there have been more releases, that's great.

Here's their changelogs
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/v18.2/assets/release_history.txt

And download can be found there :
https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/downloads

My first playtest in this new version seems to show improved stealth as my War Veteran (didn't tried the new Ghoul starting background yet) managed to stab a lot of wolves by surprise in the starting surface.
Too bad i ran into some black ooze hell right in the 1st floor with every escape direction filled with them , took a few of them with me thanks to my dagger, but got cover with black ooze pus on too much time.

Completely forgot i had molotov and dynamite, that could have helped me a lot before getting surrounded, that's not going to be easy to beat the game in those conditions :D
Still haven't won once in any version of it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:41:41 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:55 pm »

some necro bumping in order, there should be a new version of Infra Arcana sometime this month according the dev words.

The current changelog of it contain some interesting changes and one in particular that is going to have a big impact on how the game play (the XP system) :
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/develop/res/release_history.txt

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »

Sounds like a solid change, focusing on exploration and running away instead of winning fights is more lovecraftian.

Hopefully instead of rogue becoming more essential, fighter gets a boost with this update.  Without spoiling things, near the end of the game direct combat becomes very dangerous and clearing out levels comes near-impossible.  In the previous update if you were playing to win the entire game you pretty much had to pick rogue or occultist.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11