Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Continue history option  (Read 4155 times)

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
Continue history option
« on: July 23, 2011, 08:42:58 am »

you just abandoned your fort and tired of the same world with the same old gobbos, so I suggest the Continue history button, after you press the start playing button ,in the lower part of the map screen a new option would be there would be like this:
[C] CONTINUE HISTORY press it, then this would appear
[A] 250 years  [B ] 500 years [C] 1000 years [D] Custom
After selecting the amount of years a warning would pop up saying about the risks of civilizations disappearing and being conquered
Y/N?
Then the history of the world would continue and if a big event happens like an civ being conquered it would pause zoom and show the description.
I don’t know what changes on the game codes would be necessary  to make it happen, it’s just an suggestion

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:50:47 am by frodo0800 »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Continue history option
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:47:05 am »

Toady Has talked about this before. I can't find the exact quote right off hand, it was in one of the DFtalks. But basically once a world was converted for dwarf fortress mode (at the end of world gen) it would be very difficult to convert it back to history mode.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:57:30 am »

If Toady could figure out some way to only un-stasis what needs to be un-stasised and convert an un-stasised site (e.g. an abandoned fort) into a stasised one, it would be possible, but I have no doubt that that would require far more effort than it sounds like.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:59:40 am »

Toady Has talked about this before. I can't find the exact quote right off hand, it was in one of the DFtalks. But basically once a world was converted for dwarf fortress mode (at the end of world gen) it would be very difficult to convert it back to history mode.
The history mode would never have left! Just implanting fortress events into history and letting it run where it left off does not seem so daunting as converting Fortress mode into the History mode...

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 10:39:34 am »

i didn't knew that the world had 2 or more modes, for me it was just "the world",can you please explain i'm curious
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:00:11 am by frodo0800 »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 12:10:00 pm »

Heard of the butterfly effect?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 12:17:38 pm »

LOL

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 12:47:47 pm »

You may think it is funny, but having one fort that lasted a year may change the whole course of history! 

Your fort had 7 dwarves.

Those 2 miners weren't at the capitol.

Now those 2 miners couldn't mine out 50 rocks for the wall at the capitol.

Because of this, the masons had to travel over 20 more spaces in order to get the stone to set up the wall fortifiction.

This caused a 10 minute delay, allowing an assassin in who murdered a guard, before getting imprisoned, all because a fortification wasn't there.

Because the guard wasn't there, a person had to replace him.  This person would have made a cheap artifact instead, but due to the military it was delayed.

Because the artifact wasn't there, the foreign buyer didn't waste his money on it, meaning he has 2400 dwarf bucks.

Then a war comes along and because one side had 2400 more dwarf bucks, that means 500 more were in the banks because of the tax on it.

With that five hundred they bought a catapult, hitting the wall down, allowing them to storm the city.

Of course, if ANY of those things had happened differently, it would have turned out to a completely different story, they could have drafted someone else. You could have picked a different civilization.  The assassin may have been stopped by a goblin.  But no, because of what you did, you just changed history!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:25:12 pm »

Except that the miners would be spawned ex nillo or however the HFS you spell it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 08:06:28 pm »

i believe this is already on the devlist.

hrm, not explicitly stated as such, possible candidates are vaguely worded.

i would be considerably amazed if toady did not plan on eventually allowing constant events, given his goal of a "living, breathing world"
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »

i would be considerably amazed if toady did not plan on eventually allowing constant events, given his goal of a "living, breathing world"

Release 5 of the current arc.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 11:43:28 pm »

the very thing i was looking at, though a few notes down has me wondering if this is just for animal migrations and economics, rather than actual worldgen style events.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 01:46:00 am »

I would want this allong with my leave the for running option

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 08:16:28 am »

Because the guard wasn't there, a person had to replace him.  This person would have made a cheap artifact instead, but due to the military it was delayed.
i've seen recruits entering moods while in traning,and they're where active on the military screen.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:20:04 am »

From the devlog:
•Release 5
•Changing populations, food use and other world gen stuff moved to actual play
there isn't much info related to the original question,i've read that log a thousand times and i've never saw something that looks like my suggestion
Pages: [1] 2