Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Continue history option  (Read 4128 times)

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
Re: Continue history option
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 08:48:04 am »

if we mix this suggestion,"leave the fort {name} running" and the ship ideas,then we could have ship bulding on player made forts!

WOOOOOOOOOW!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:02:36 pm by frodo0800 »

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 10:17:46 am »

Good idea.

With CONTINUE HISTORY, I can start in an extremely dangerous world in year 100, where my dwarven civilization is on the brink of destruction. Then I could build one fort with excellent defenses, retire it, and let history continue for hundreds of years. Soon, my fort will be the only surviving member of its ancient civilization.

Or I could just have the world populations move around a bit, because I've killed everything off around my fortress.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 03:29:05 am »

Good idea.

With CONTINUE HISTORY, I can start in an extremely dangerous world in year 100, where my dwarven civilization is on the brink of destruction. Then I could build one fort with excellent defenses, retire it, and let history continue for hundreds of years. Soon, my fort will be the only surviving member of its ancient civilization.

Or I could just have the world populations move around a bit, because I've killed everything off around my fortress.

Siege outcome in history mode is randomly decided, so your excellent defenses don't mean much (if any).
I once had a fort filled with legendary warriors but after I retired it, it was taken by another civ. Most of the soldiers were kept alive and joined their force.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 08:35:54 am »

I'm kinda hoping some breakthrough technology will enable a new generation of supercomputers where a huge world can run like a dwarf fortress from year 1, no "history mode".

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 09:43:44 am »

Siege outcome in history mode is randomly decided, so your excellent defenses don't mean much (if any).
I once had a fort filled with legendary warriors but after I retired it, it was taken by another civ. Most of the soldiers were kept alive and joined their force.

Interesting. Could a fort also get conquered during history if it is built on some island or on some faraway glacier?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:46:02 am by n4m3l3ss »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 03:24:08 pm »

The nearest thing that hints to it is something about settling down your adventurer then playing as his descendents at a later time. Although, it's not quite clear if Toady just meant go play fortress for 50 years then come back.

When asked in FOTF, he's said it's very, very complex to get the world back into worldgen once it's started.

Would love to see this one day though. Make some artifacts in a fortress. Abandon, add 1000 years of history then go see if you can locate then all again. Track down the Kobolds, dragons and other criminals who've stolen them over time.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 07:23:24 pm »

The nearest thing that hints to it is something about settling down your adventurer then playing as his descendents at a later time. Although, it's not quite clear if Toady just meant go play fortress for 50 years then come back.
I think there was something about time skips in adventure mode with regards to training under somebody. I'm not sure it would be any faster than retire→unretire→repeat, however.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 03:11:28 am »

Interesting. Could a fort also get conquered during history if it is built on some island or on some faraway glacier?
I'm not sure but I think the offending force must be able to reach your site, so island is safe. But it is pointless since you won't have fun doing that.

Anyway, it is hard to determine whether your defenses are strong without actually simulating the battle (traps placement, fortification, soldiers, etc).

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 06:55:46 pm »

That gives me an idea, actually. Maybe an "enable advanced battle simulation" option that stops and simulates each battle fort mode style.

Obviously this would make worldgen take AGES but might make war a lot more realistic.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 07:07:41 pm »

Oh wow, blast from the past! This thread is almost five years old, guys.

RandomizedThinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my tumblr
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 04:24:11 pm »

i wonder if n4m3l3ss up there noticed

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 05:44:27 pm »

And this is the suggestions forum. There's no point in starting a new topic if you're just adding ideas for the same suggestion no matter how old it is.
Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old.  However, please do not bump threads just to show support.
Pages: 1 [2]