Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amusing potential problems  (Read 538 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Amusing potential problems
« on: July 23, 2011, 02:02:20 pm »

I started planning out a story loosely based on the genesis fortress, with my own modded in race, I'm playing now to see how well it works, and because Dwarf Fortress has a peculiar side effect of making me want to write. I suppose it's because of all the crazy crap that happens there.
Now I'm fairly new to this and it's not going to work like a lets play as I'm taking the role of one character, and sticking with that character.

My potential problem:
My character is going to be shunted into the military.
Unless I hold my military back until they're all fully equipped and kitted, I run the very real risk of having him wiped out the first time he goes into battle, which ends up making the whole thing very anti-climactic. Also kinda lulzy. On the other hand, If I wait it kind of ruins half the fun of DF, in my opinion (this is the reason I never use danger rooms. I don't like cranking out UberSoldiers, it's boring. You get no interesting characters that way).

Anyway, that's my personal problem, but I'm sure that, with any creative effort where DF is concerned, there are interesting little hiccups that appear.
So, tell me, what are your experiences with amusing problems that DF creates in stories, or lets plays (of any kind,) or anythign else you guys have found to use it for?