Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extreme water pressure of doom?  (Read 1237 times)

ciadude2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extreme water pressure of doom?
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:54:10 pm »

I've been playing DF and lurking for a while and just made an account just to post about this. Sorry if a similar story has been posted before.

So I started a new fort, on an isthmus between a river and a lake. I decided to design the execution system for prisoners early, and so designed a somewhat elaborate water system that would double as both an indoor waterfall for the dining area as well as a chamber of death by tossing prisoners into the dug out portion of the dining hall used for draining, where the only result would be either to drown or to go down the passageway(for the enemies that can swim) and free fall into the caverns below.

I dug a breach after preparations were complete and to my great surprise the FPS dropped down to 4(I've never actually seen it go below 30 before), the water immediately filled up the entire sewer system and the underground cavern(which was dry by the way) with water up to lvl 7.

I imagine this has something to do with the way water pressure works in DF.

Anyway. As a newcomer to the forum, let me just say... I want to find a way to weaponize this against the elves.

EDIT: It killed all of the carp and other fish in the lake instantly.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:57:40 pm by ciadude2 »

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme water pressure of doom?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:14:02 pm »

Fluid movement is a KILLER of FPS. I, myself, prefer a simple 120 Z level pit drop onto 10 masterwork menacing spikes as an execution method, but that's just me.

EDIT: Oh and when you use it against the elves, add magma and possibly a few fire imps. Then they'll be !!elves!!, which is considerably more fun!
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:32:05 pm »

the need for a more advanced pressure system has been stated by toady although ill admit that pressure of this kind didnt pop into my head

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 04:03:34 am »

now, all we need is to find a way of generating this kind of overpressure using pumps to blow seiges off the map, allowing for a pacifict fortress. or to time it so you then end up encasing the goblins in ice.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:19:14 am »