Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looking for advice on how to make my lava based infrastructure  (Read 939 times)

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok I started a new fortress and it has a active (or what passes for active)volcano pipe near the fotress. I want to flood a hallway to put my lava forge/smelter/kiln above and also make a room for making obsidian.

map on DFMA is

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10587-lordcopper

PLEASE help me in terms of how do I set it up with out dieing in the process. thanks for all your advice and comments.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: looking for advice on how to make my lava based infrastructure
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:20:10 am »

Magma doesn't pressurize, this should be relatively easy.  Unlike water, magma will never naturally flow upwards.

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:40:42 am »

well how best to do it then? make a screw pump to flood hallway? I'm a newb to this so :-) and fyi the the lava tube goes +25 up and well down to 150 so their is a LOT of lava their ;-)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:48:44 am »

Dig a tench, then install a floodgate on the end right next to the magma tube.  Then open it via lever, and assign a miner to remove that last tile.  Have another mining job somewhere, even if you immediately cancel, to ensure that the miner leaves immediately.  Optionally, dig a spillway that's at least 7x larger than the trench, so that you can let the magma wash out and evaporate if you ever need to access the trench.  Or "cheat" by placing floodgates in the trench, and rapidly opening and shutting them to destroy fluids.