Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (very minor) CONTAMINATION  (Read 4042 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
(very minor) CONTAMINATION
« on: July 24, 2011, 04:51:44 pm »

Accursed Forgotten Beast with their deadly blood. I've cleaned up all the blood, and disposed of anything tainted by it. However a few dorfs who originally fought the beast (And got full frontal infection) and survived seem to have pus on them that mangles what ever it touches, and bruises everything else. It's only on them, and it won't come off even with bathing and protective gear. It doesn't spread and they can still do labor, but they move slower than a one legged cripple.

Any suggestions how i might get it off? Short of a magma bath or euthanasia?
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: (very minor) CONTAMINATION
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:53:46 pm »

Accursed Forgotten Beast with their deadly blood. I've cleaned up all the blood, and disposed of anything tainted by it. However a few dorfs who originally fought the beast (And got full frontal infection) and survived seem to have pus on them that mangles what ever it touches, and bruises everything else. It's only on them, and it won't come off even with bathing and protective gear. It doesn't spread and they can still do labor, but they move slower than a one legged cripple.

Any suggestions how i might get it off? Short of a magma bath or euthanasia?
how about a 1 or 2 z level drop to injure them so the CMD can cut off the infected tissue?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06:03 pm »

Contamination shouldn't be spread by the dwarf, but if there's any forgotten beast blood on his clothes they might be re-infecting him.  Try forcing him to dump all his clothing, or possibly assign him to his own squad in the military and give him all custom clothes to replace his.  It might simply be the case that the syndrome inflicted by the forgotten beast blood has a near-permanent effect, and he'll just remain infected and bruised for the rest of his life.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »

I already know it's not from their clothing (They were part of the military, so they only wore armor, no clothes). And since i've given them fresh silks. They do have pus on their feet which are the main affected area's on each of the dorfs. And it does not go away, even after washing.

That was an exercise in futility. The attempted z-level/re-diagnosis simply killed them. And apparently, after washing they left a puddle of pus, which got on other dorfs, then unlike the host, actually killed them. killing 1/2 of an already low-population fort.
Save-scum, I'm just gonna lock them in a room till they die. Much simpler.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:44:53 pm by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »

Syndromes don't spread dorf-dorf-dorf like diseases. They would only get sick/die if they touched the "deadly blood" itself. The pus that the dwarf leaves behind won't infect other dwarves, because only the FB's blood has the syndrome tags. The dwarf is creating the pus, so that won't wash off, but the blood would wash off.

The blood can be on the floors, and on clothing or weapons. Haulers who carry bloody items (of the dead soldiers) are at risk of getting the syndrome.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:38:15 pm »

I already know it's not from their clothing (They were part of the military, so they only wore armor, no clothes). And since i've given them fresh silks. They do have pus on their feet which are the main affected area's on each of the dorfs. And it does not go away, even after washing.

That was an exercise in futility. The attempted z-level/re-diagnosis simply killed them. And apparently, after washing they left a puddle of pus, which got on other dorfs, then unlike the host, actually killed them. killing 1/2 of an already low-population fort.

You should drop them onto a spike, wash them from the spike with a flow of water, onto a hatch which can be opened up... dropping them into a river.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:15:29 am »

You should drop them onto a spike, wash them from the spike with a flow of water, onto a hatch which can be opened up... dropping them into a river.

Which drops them into a pool of magma.  THEN they'll be clean.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 02:05:08 am »

Nah, a river. One that later on flows through an elven town.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 04:42:14 am »

What ever was happening, it seemed to only happen while those pus dorfs were alive. 3 seasons after i killed them, Around the time when everyone started dying the first time. Everything is going normally, no new infections, no new "Perma-cripples" with pus on their feet. And it freed up 4 splints.

Although i do have an engraver with pus on his feet bedridden in the hospital. He's an excellent training dummy for my doctors. He somehow just keeps getting surgery, then set bones, then sutured. Over and over again.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:48:14 am by kalida99 »
— Commander Fleyitch

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 05:33:00 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Where pain, soul-tearing extracts and horrible injuries are merely stepping stones to experienced doctors.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 06:22:31 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Where pain, soul-tearing extracts and horrible injuries are merely stepping stones to experienced doctors.
I wish there were pain, soul-tearing extracts and horrible injuries in my current fort.  My doctors aren't getting any better at docting.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 11:15:08 am »

Dig a small area right outside the dining room and fill it with 3/7 water, this will routinely wash off the dwarves who walk through it. Although realistically you wouldn't want to wade through the nasty sewer water in this small dip, in practice the dwarves will be sparkly clean once they pass through.  I haven't had any problem with spreading contamination since doing this.

Edit: I read again and noticed you washed the dwarves already, another thing I do is smooth the major hallways, this seems to make it more likely that someone will actually clean any contaminant that is in a rough spot.

The pus shouldn't be spreading the syndrome, although thats a scary thought, FB blood turning whoever it touches into a carrier so they go home and kill the loved ones of whoever slew it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:21:19 am by drkpaladin »

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:38:43 am »

I did manage to find some clothes with FB blood, but found more with "Forgotten Beast Extract". Don't know if they were the cause. They were heaped in random piles around the fort, and have been disposed of.

Fun Fact. The Engraver permanently hospitalized? He needs immobilization on his right foot. And he's missing his entire right leg. Resulting in endless re-diagnosis, and re-immobilization.
— Commander Fleyitch

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:40 am »

I did manage to find some clothes with FB blood, but found more with "Forgotten Beast Extract". Don't know if they were the cause. They were heaped in random piles around the fort, and have been disposed of.

Fun Fact. The Engraver permanently hospitalized? He needs immobilization on his right foot. And he's missing his entire right leg. Resulting in endless re-diagnosis, and re-immobilization.

lucky!

i have to deal with all my docs getting rusty and functioning as novices.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 11:49:33 am »

lucky!

i have to deal with all my docs getting rusty and functioning as novices.

If i had a bigger fort, it'd be a godsend. Right now I'm lucky if a migrant lasts more than a year with all the dang FB attacks. 99% of the time the doctor is some random peasant that gets picked to do the job because the CMD just died and someone needs patched up.

They usually do decent jobs. 12 years and only 1 person has died in the hospital.
The other 50 some have died to on-site poisoning and flame related FB's. 
— Commander Fleyitch
Pages: [1] 2