Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: This game is extraordinary!  (Read 4871 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This game is extraordinary!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:07 am »

Is there a specific reason the game uses ASCII rather then them making an icon, even if it is a copy of the ASCII currently used, for each object in the game? Even if they copied the ASCII other set makers could use the hooks to create a full set.

Since the game gets all its graphics info from a single small bitmap, and it would be so easy to extend the existing system to a bitmap large enough to allow for a unique glyph for every object, I would have to say that this is an artistic decision and not a limitation.

You want the focus of the graphics to be on the meaning of them. By providing for unique symbols, it can be argued that you are creating a distraction from that focus. All of a sudden the graphics do matter, when you don't want them to matter.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Madurjafro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 01:01:46 pm »

You guys started off with tilesets?

As soon as I saw the homepage, I was all like "AWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEAAAAAAH!"
Then proceeded to fail about 5 thousand times.

Anyone got an ASCII tileset that just makes everything square?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 01:28:37 pm »

There is one bundled with the game, but I strongly prefer the Guybrush / Herrbdog set here:  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Guybrush

I use creature graphics with it, but you don't need to.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 06:47:37 pm »

You guys started off with tilesets?

As soon as I saw the homepage, I was all like "AWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEAAAAAAH!"
Then proceeded to fail about 5 thousand times.

Yeah I use Dorten 9x9, you can find it in the repository. Some of the graphic sets are cool, and I started with them, but I found being able to display an entire 2x2 embark on the screen at once was better. I'd rather take in more information than have it pretty in a game like this.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 07:37:14 pm »

Tilesets are pretty and all, sometimes it's fun to see a well developed fort looking nice. I actually find tilesets confusing; they don't really help you identify things that well. About the only thing I need to use look for is to spot the difference between a goblin and a guineahen chick.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 09:10:14 pm »

I always wonder about the goblin / something else comparison. If there's goblin on your map, either it's part of a lone raid, an ambush, or a siege (in which case its presence is loudly announced), or it's an escapee (in which case it will be running for the map edge like a bat out of hell).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 2 [3]