Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Free Wizard/Sorcerer/Magic games?  (Read 1627 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Any Free Wizard/Sorcerer/Magic games?
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:34:43 am »

And no, not stuff like in the Elder Scrolls.  A game where you are a wizard, or pure magic user, and where you can actually use that power in creative/destructive/FUN ways. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any Free Wizard/Sorcerer/Magic games?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:54:24 am »

If you summon me a coder i can make the one i have in my head, but otherwise, no, not really. Triangle wizard is free and about magic but as always, magic can be generalized as fancy guns, bombs or pets.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:58:16 am »

Maybe Master of Magic?  It's pretty old but might be what you're looking for.  Basically you're a wizard and need to get supplies, etc so you can research the World-Conquering-SpellTM.  Link: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_magic
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »

Triangle wizard is good and free

http://trianglewizard.webs.com/
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:07:26 am »

SpellCraft: Aspects of Valor. Finding it is a task I leave to yourself.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:52:01 am »

Personally i think Age of Wonders is one of the best games in the "Mage's Kingdom" genre.
It has a TON of magical meddling to it.
Summon a creature. Enchant it. Cause a world changing flood. Plan an evil enemy damaging forrest around your realm (comes in 3 varieties Evil Holy and Poison)... ETC.
It's pretty old now but i doubt it's abandonware yet...

Then there is Magic & Mayhem... where you control one mage and scores of summoned creatures.

Then there is Arcanum but i guess that would be too close to the Elder Scrolls... but it's still there and it's pretty old.

Egoboo is a dungeon crawler that let's you have a mage character and enjoys a cerain "dwarven" sense of humour.
I remember it as a pretty tough game tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Drakasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:44:15 am »

Personally i think Age of Wonders is one of the best games in the "Mage's Kingdom" genre.
It has a TON of magical meddling to it.
Summon a creature. Enchant it. Cause a world changing flood. Plan an evil enemy damaging forrest around your realm (comes in 3 varieties Evil Holy and Poison)... ETC.
It's pretty old now but i doubt it's abandonware yet...

Then there is Magic & Mayhem... where you control one mage and scores of summoned creatures.

Then there is Arcanum but i guess that would be too close to the Elder Scrolls... but it's still there and it's pretty old.

Egoboo is a dungeon crawler that let's you have a mage character and enjoys a cerain "dwarven" sense of humour.
I remember it as a pretty tough game tho.
I never played AoW, however I played Age of Wonders 2 and Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic when I was younger and I totally fell in love with these games. You can buy them on Steam.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If we're tossing in non-free games, I must mention Sacrifice. You play a wizard in 3rd person, summon monsters and cast spells to defeat your opposing wizards. Five different gods that offer different sets of creatures to summon and spells to cast add to the replay value. The story is well written (and voice acted), if a bit typical "evil forces bring forth the apocalypse" theme. And most importantly: you can actually use that power in creative/destructive/FUN ways.