Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Beyond Protocol Private Server  (Read 17139 times)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Protocol Private Server
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 11:54:36 pm »

Well, I think I'll skip setting up my account 'til I get some sleep.

Anyway, DO post your names here so we'll be able to recognise eachother when met. (Does anyone else besides us know about this server anyways?)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 11:55:10 pm »

Zero your account is ready btw
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 12:18:13 am »

I once looked into it, sense I'm a big fan of complex strategy games and whatnot, but I was always put-off by the subscription costs and whatnot.  I'm sad to hear the company went under though, so I'll sign up for the private server.  I am very impressed that they released the source code.  Totally awesome.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 12:37:51 am »

This actually looks pretty damn awesome.

One question though: wouldn't a persistent mmorts require you to be online 24/7?  What happens if you get attacked while offline?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 12:41:16 am »

I'm not sure. Perhaps one can assume that battles are very slow paced and not very tactically intensive.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 01:05:19 am »

(All of this is based off the beta, things may have changed)

The being vulnerable while logged off was actually my big issue with the beta, particularly since range was such a big deal (and based on technology, so anyone with higher tech could destroy you without a fight while you were logged off. And that doesn't even get into orbital bombardment). I made a number of suggestions to the developers, such as a range bonuses for defensive turrets and making it so buildings with proper shields could shrug off orbital bombardments, but was told those would make combat in the game too long and tedious.

Most of this was based off experience when a guy in my guild bought a high tech, long range corvette off the market and used it to completely decimate entire worlds while their controllers were offline.

There were some things to control it, certainly; you could designate one home colony to be invulnerable while you were logged off, and there was a time delay to declare war on someone depending on how good your relations were before, so in theory they would get warning. I might still give this a try; it's a great concept for a multiplayer game that doesn't get a whole lot of love.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 09:31:57 am »

That's what i was looking for (played beyond protocol some time ago but didn't have time and resigned). Sending pm now.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 09:55:18 am »

I'd love to get in on this. I'm a sucker for those niche MMOs that explore innovative gameplay mechanics, and this looks like one of them, but sadly I've never had deep enough pockets to pay for subscription fees.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:25 am »

I'm more wondering where i can find the source sounds like fun.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:58 am »

He did give the link to the SourceForge.

http://beyondprotocol.svn.sourceforge.net/

It seems to contain everything, from client codes to server.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 11:16:11 am »

He did give the link to the SourceForge.

http://beyondprotocol.svn.sourceforge.net/

It seems to contain everything, from client codes to server.

Yea 5mins later i found the svn link.

But then i saw Programming Lang: Visual Basic
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:22 pm »

Like state you cannot wardec somebody without first getting a warning, so you have a few hour if not days to set up defenses on your colony. You main colony is Ivulnerable when your logged off, BUT if you have good agents you can disable somebody invul field for an hour if sucessfull wich is not enough to fully wipe a colny but enough to do big daamage to it.

The mission is the most difficult one and have high chance of getting your agent killed/kidnapped during the process.

If you have any question i will be on IRC also my computer is online 24/7 with usually a quick reboot in the day to give my computer the chance to clear out useless data in memory. Also if anybody knows anything about HTML i would be happy if you could set me a website and a forum for this game, nothing fancy just functional with an automated account creation ( i have the query stored on my computer ).

Just in case you happen to have some spare money i will gladly accept it, this is NOT REQUIRED but appreciated

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=LVWHAHUZXLARQ
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »

Well, for a forum, installing a Simple Machines Forum should need no knowledge of HTML.
A quick and dirty website is easy to do even without HTML, and there are always programs that can do the more advanced stuff for you.

For the account query ... well, I'm sure someone here can do that.

All you need then is a program that will actually host the website and forum.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 05:05:20 pm »

This sounds awesome, will get around to downloading it soon.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 07:49:54 pm »

Oh, and does the game ever append "The" to the Empire Name? I'm asking so I won't end up with The "The Whatevers".
Bumping my question.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7