Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: On the Nature of Dwarves  (Read 36029 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: On the Nature of Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:51 pm »

This is amazing.  The amount of thought and detail that must have gone into this is incredible.  Keep it up!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 03:15:44 am »

Bravo dear and gentle Sir Dwarf Urist_McArathos
when this is done i hope it gets put in the hall of legends.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 03:36:07 am »

Feel free to nominate it now, because I'm not sure when I'll feel ready to call it finished, after all.  There's plenty to write about dwarves for the moment!
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 02:07:04 pm »

Home and Family Life

Dwarves are communal creatures; the notions of privacy and personal space are very different amongst the dwarven people.

Dwarves tend to live in large residential halls, where they can be conveniently close to their recreation areas, like the dining halls, taverns, and common pleasure areas like statue gardens and zoos.  Efficiency is at the heart of any dwarven endeavor, so the architects behind their great cities see no need for the people to live in far-flung locales or bizarre arrangements. 

In poorer and less established settlements, personal bedrooms and living quarters are unheard of; a room is typically dug out, with beds placed throughout so that anyone who desires some sleep can rest in the dormitory between work and play.  This single rest hall is usually more than enough for small settlements and outposts, and it can be rare to see more than this until a city begins to enjoy true prosperity and growth.

As a settlement grows, individual rooms become more frequent; at first an entire clan might share a single dormitory and dining hall, then as the settlement grows (and the clan's numbers swell), the clan's holdings might be expanded to allow the creation of living quarters shared by entire families.  Only in the largest and most lavish of places are dwarves granted their own, private quarters.  Nobles and leaders of all stripes typically demand a private bedroom as a reward for their greater service.

In a human settlement, a home typically must fill the functions of bedroom, family common area, kitchen, and dining room all at once.  Among dwarves, of course, a simple three-room home would be a royal mansion.  The simplest of dwarven private quarters are small alcoves with just enough room for a bed, cabinet, and chest for personal belongings and clothes, sealed with a door.  In truly tight spaces, two quarters may even share the door and simply have a long wall separating their rooms.  The wealthiest and roomiest of cities rarely provide more room than this; perhaps enough space for a table and chair, but little else.  There is just no need, amongst dwarves, to waste more room on their living areas.

As can be inferred from my statements and observations thus far, dwarves are extremely family oriented.  Meals and drinks are typically taken in the vast dining halls, where the dwarf will typically meet with relatives and clan mates for regular meals and idle chatter.  Since dwarves spend so much of their time together, socializing in these common areas, they tend to be the largest, most lavish places in the settlement.  Many dwarves feel a great sense of comfort and joy relaxing in their dining halls and commons.  The great, open areas, well decorated with good food and drink in abundance, make for great times amongst the people.  Their commons and dining halls are therefore quite lively places; coupled with the fact that dwarves find many causes for celebration in their close-lived lives, and you will rarely find a quiet hall.

The dwarf society is entirely family based: a dwarf is a member of his family, families are linked through marriage and blood to clans, and clans are linked through mutual coexistence (and sometimes marriages) into a single kingdom.  Your typical dwarf has a given name from his parents, a divine name (Ed: this would be the name chosen through divine lot discussed culture earlier), a family name, and a clan name.

Families are just like their human counterparts: at some point in the past, a married couple was considered the start of the family tree, and the family name is passed down through male children.  Females remain part of their family only so long as they are single; they take on the family name of their husbands and become part of that family thereafter.  Since most dwarf families tend to be small (the space for children is a perpetual concern which, coupled with their immense lifespans, limits breeding), families rarely have more than a dozen or so members at a time spread out across two to three generations.

Clans are linked through mutual marriages and blood ties, and frequently through similar trades.  At some point in a clan's history, a particularly noteworthy family or dwarf rose to prominence, such that other families in the same settlement or trade sought to become part of them through marriages and sworn bonds.  Clans therefore are a collection of families with a central unifying trade or feature: they may be miners, or smiths, or other professions.  Sometimes they are soldiers, merchants, or even more esoteric pursuits.  Amongst humans the line between guilds and relatives is distinct, where amongst dwarves it is less clear, often completely overlapping.  Families within clans tend to intermarry and work together to protect their trade or craft.  Clan names are chosen from the great event or patron that founded their clan.  An example: one particular military clan I had the chance meet was called the "Skullhammers", so named because the great patron and founder of the clan allegedly broke his hammer during a seige, and rather than flee or die he ran the sundered haft through a troll's skull and rip the head clean from its body.  He then continued to wade into slaughter using the troll head on a stick as his weapon against the goblin horde.  His proud relatives and suitably impressed peers immediately sought to join with this paragon of dwarven slaughter, and a clan was born.

Since trade and craft are inextricably linked to family and clan, dwarves consider their work a point of personal pride.  A dwarf smith's swords are not just a reflection of his own talent, but a reflection of his entire clan's abilities and prestige.  It must not just live up to the reputation of the clan, but seek to improve it wherever possible.  Amongst humans, apprentices and journeymen follow a master and learn their trade from this experienced soul before moving out on their own.  Among dwarves, seasoned and venerable relatives first teach the young dwarf, before he is considered ready to learn from the finest mentors of the clan as a whole.  Afterwards, he is considered ready to practice his trade and earn a name for himself within the clan, eventually becoming a tutor and (if talented enough) respected mentor for the generations after him.

Dwarf clan leaders are the elders of their extended families; both men and women can become heads of the clan (Ed: dwarven society is more egalitarian than most human ones, so one is advised never to assume a female dwarf is the servant, spouse, or handmaiden of a superior, lest the wrath of a terrible foe be earned).  Clan leaders typically govern their trade in a city, and work with the city's leaders to ensure its prosperity.  The title for a clan leader literally translates as "grandfather" or "grandmother", while ordinary grandparents are typically only addressed by informals that would translate as "grandpa" or "papa", and likewise for the female (Ed: dwarves are highly secretive about their language, so it is impossible for me to provide the dwarven words here, nor cross-reference this statement.  It should be assumed to be true).

((Next: Nobility and rule))
On the Nature of Dwarves

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 12:48:09 am »

Someone should upload this onto the DF wiki.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:39 am »

Wow. This is some excellent insights into the dwarven enigma.

Anyone who is going to try to write in-character for a dwarf ought to give this a read.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 12:38:40 pm »

ive voted for this on hall of legends.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 12:42:20 pm »

I'll gladly second. Keep up the good work!
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 10:50:21 pm »

Noblity is next hm? "Nobles seem to attract magma on a regular basis after imprisoning someone who coulden't fufill their request for bismuth products."

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 12:03:17 am »

Foolish doubter; have I not explained in rich, detailed reasoning the cause of dwarves chasing recklessly out to strip the dead, feeding booze to infants, and naming their mountains Dimplemoist the Paints of Withering?
On the Nature of Dwarves

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:29 pm »

I cannot say how much work I've seen in this whole thread, the detail and idea given to the dwarves and how they live and breath down to what goes in in daily life.

This is epic is all I can say and I yet fear that it might not be enough as my vocabulary in English is not that well-expanded.

You say you were making a Novel right? And you modified the notes to DF? That much be one good read.

Oh, and Welcome to the Hall of Legends! Please put a description as it is lacking one  :D .

Link in my signature.

That was a beautiful read. [/astounded]

Edit: 14 days since last post. This isn't Necro'ed right?

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:29:00 pm »

necroing is like...a month.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 02:56:06 am »

necroing is like...a month.

Now I understand.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »

This is glorious and I desperately hope it will be continued.
くコ:彡

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 07:34:48 pm »

Just an FYI: On the Nature of Dwarves is still active...not finished yet :)
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7